Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
See-thru F 35-70mm

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

There is a transparent (as in the housing) F series 35-70 on eBay right now. I have no intention of buying it, especially for what the seller is asking for it, but does anybody know anything about it? You know, the when, why, and how many of the thing type questions.

Edit: I see this is allready a recent topic. Mods please delete this thread.

01-22-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would assume that it is a demonstration model - something made up for for trade shows, lens repair training workshops, or the like. If so, it is no doubt rare. I can't imagine it would work well as a lens, however, because stray light would come in through the housing.
01-22-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Where's the other thread, and where's the item on eBay?
01-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There were transparent cameras and lenses that were done as demo models. They actually work is the ironic part.

Dimitrov has a transparent SP II pictured: http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/bodies/photos/non-K/Spotmatic_II_transparent.jpg

Last edited by Blue; 01-22-2010 at 01:17 PM.
01-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Where's the other thread, and where's the item on eBay?
This is it here: Kevin's Cameras :: pentax_35_70_transparent
01-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That's not the other thread, nor an eBay link.
01-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

That's not the other thread, nor an eBay link.
Keven's has that one on ebay. If you go to the ebay link, you have to click a link to see it at kevin's.

Edit: here's the bay link: http://cgi.ebay.com/Pentax-AF-35-70-3-5-4-5-Transparent-Model-Rare_W0QQitemZ...item563803a6e6

01-22-2010, 01:49 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doesn't anyone put any effort into their overpriced eBay listings any more? The A50/1.2 listing mentioned elsewhere used a scan from the manual for a photo. This listing doesn't bother with any photos, even though they exist and are free. Then the description, which is the listing title restated, plus "Grade : EX++ " The rest is disclaimer templates. Hey, if I'm considering a lens that I can't use for 5x the cost of a usable version, or another I can't use because then its perceived value drops by half as no longer new-in-box, at least give me some nice photos to get me excited.
01-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Ned Bunnell blogged about his transparent PZ-1 that had a matching transparent 35-70mm lens.

NED BUNNELL: "See-thru" Pentax PZ-1

QuoteQuote:
For many years, Pentax has made "see-thru" clear camera samples. These samples were fully functional. They were used primarily by sales and marketing in promoting a new model to key accounts, the press and for demonstration purposes at trade shows.
01-22-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Keven's has that one on ebay. If you go to the ebay link, you have to click a link to see it at kevin's.

Edit: here's the bay link: Pentax AF 35-70/3.5/4.5 Transparent Model ...... Rare - eBay (item 370306950886 end time Feb-12-10 18:02:00 PST)

Thanks for the link.

But looooooooooool this guy? Ahahaha. He charges about 5 times what items are worth and sells 1-2 items a year. I don't know how he puts up with having all those lenses laying around, collecting dust, waiting to get fungusy, while having them listed for ridiculous prices.
01-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Thanks for the link.

But looooooooooool this guy? Ahahaha. He charges about 5 times what items are worth and sells 1-2 items a year. I don't know how he puts up with having all those lenses laying around, collecting dust, waiting to get fungusy, while having them listed for ridiculous prices.
Being in LA helps him on the fungusy problem. That cat has some sweet glass though, but his prices are out there on Pluto. I run into his adds a lot on some relative rare glass. In fact, its amazing as to what he has.

Last edited by Blue; 01-22-2010 at 02:22 PM.
01-22-2010, 02:29 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Being in LA helps him on the fungusy problem. That cat has some sweet glass though, but his prices are out there on Pluto. I run into his adds a lot on some relative rare glass. In fact, its amazing as to what he has.
Kevin caters to the West Coast collector market so his prices have historically been significantly above what we would consider paying. JCO on ebay (John O'Connell) prices much more realistically but only shows small parts of his inventory, and doesn't show anything when prices are down, like now.