My SDM is fine but some other electronic malfunction occurred   00%
My SDM is fine but the zoom mechanism failed   00%
My SDM failed along with something else   00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Type of lens failures (for SDM equipped lenses only)

Pentax tells us that failures of the SDM system are NOT more common than other types of failures.

If you have had a lens which is equipped with SDM and experienced some sort SDM or OTHER failure, please make your selection in the poll.

Now, we all have older lenses or non-SDM lenses and say we almost never have problems. Perhaps Pentax is right that SDM fails no more than other components on SDM equipped lenses.

I'm not a lens expert, so if the mods want to add or change poll answers please do so

Remember, only answer if you have an SDM equipped lens that has experienced some sort of failure. This can be a DA* lens or a DA lens with SDM.

Last edited by sebberry; 01-22-2010 at 09:31 AM.
01-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A new 50-135 lens was so badly off centre focused that it was unusable, but the focusing SDM drive worked.
When the camera was set to centre focus that's what it focused on, but the right of the frame was front focused and the left badly back focused.

It was exchanged for a different, and so far excellent, lens under warranty.
01-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Here is the summary of my DA* failures. I won't retype them here, but I have had a couple of types of failures:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/878215-post80.html