Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
49mm hood?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Can you recommend one? Ebay sells three types: metal, plastic (petal), rubber. Are you familiar with them? Thank you!

01-22-2010, 01:56 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Moved to Lens Forum.

I have the rubber one on my FA 50 Stefan. I like it because it is collapsible so can stay on the lens, it doesn't effect use of filters or lens cap.
With the metal ones, you would have to find a lens cap that fits over it (if you want to leave it on the lens) and filter has to go between lens and hood.
I don't have any experience with the plastic petal hood.
01-22-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
With the metal ones, you would have to find a lens cap that fits over it (if you want to leave it on the lens)
ebay seller eBay Store - Heavy2stars Photo Gear: Step Rings, Other Brand Hoods, Nikon Camera Lens Accessories sells metal hood + cap combos
01-22-2010, 02:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
Can you recommend one? Ebay sells three types: metal, plastic (petal), rubber. Are you familiar with them? Thank you!
I have metal hoods w/ caps from eBay Store - Heavy2stars Photo Gear: Step Rings, Other Brand Hoods, Nikon Camera Lens Accessories on all my lenses

01-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
New to me, I don't frequent ebay and as I am already happy with the rubber hood, keeping track of 49mm lens hood trends isn't high up in my priorities. Thanks for the 'heads up' though, digested and stored for future reference.
01-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you both for your answers. I think I'll go with Gary's solution. I guess collapsible rubber hoods can be kept on my two 49mm primes and would not take a lot of space in my bag.
01-22-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
Looks like some good stuff, thanks

01-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #8
Veteran Member

FWIW, I bought a stepping ring from them (to mount my Raynox 150 directly on my 49mm filter lenses), and was pleased with the transaction and product. I think these are among the good guys of the small Ebay dealers.
01-25-2010, 11:29 AM   #9

I picked up a rubber hood from Kits, and find that it is very handy. It is doubly handy when using a circular polarizer, as you can just turn the hood as much as you like!

I don't know if it is as effective as some other type might be, but probably better than nothing.
01-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I just bought a rubber hood from Ebay to replace the original plastic one I lost on a hike. It looks to me to be a better setup all around. Best!