Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2010, 05:34 PM   #1

help, please!

Hello -

I have a pentax K10D and have just received my SMC pentax-FA 50MM f/1.4 lens...I put the lens on the body, turned it on and the monitor is flashing "F---" and the shutter release button won't push down.

I think I have the lens on properly...am new to buying lenses for this camera, please tell me I didn't get an incompatible lens! I really want to start shooting!

thanks!

01-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check the "A" setting on the lens first. Most likely you need to push the button in and lock the lens in the "A" setting.
01-22-2010, 05:41 PM   #3

Original Poster
thank you, Peter! I read the manual that came with it, but the instructions were not clear to me. You made my night..!
01-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

No problem and welcome to the forums. Don't be a stranger and post some shots from your new kit.

Btw I've been shooting Pentax for more than 25 years and the manual isn't clear to me either

01-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I gotcha beat Peter. 45 yrs and counting! And what's a manual? BTW, welcome to the party aelish.
01-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I gotcha beat Peter. 45 yrs and counting!And what's a manual? BTW, welcome to the party aelish.
A manual is something we always look for when somebody is selling a used camera and we want what we are buying as complete but never really get to read it or put importance to it once we actually have it!
01-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I gotcha beat Peter. 45 yrs and counting! And what's a manual? BTW, welcome to the party aelish.
I couldn't lift a camera at age 3!! oldtimer..... did you use film or glass back then?

01-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's a manual? It's just some other guy's opinion!
01-23-2010, 02:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I gotcha beat Peter. 45 yrs and counting! And what's a manual?
I believe that someone made a movie about Pentax manuals, it's called Lost In Translation
01-23-2010, 01:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Since this lens has an "A" on iots aperture ring, it is indeed best to use that. but since at some point you'll probably buy a lens that lacks this, do check on the sticky thread at the top of the beginner's forum on ho to use manual lenses - you can even practice using your FA50 just by moving the aperture ring back off the "A" again.