Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-22-2010, 08:57 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
LENS???

Ok here we go. I bought a K200d about a year ago and for the most part I know the ins and the outs of the camera. I was at the zoo the other day and was trying to take pictures of some animals and the lens that i had purchased off of ebay did nothing but make me angry. Me being in the Army I don't make a lot of money so what telephoto lens would you guys recommend in the 150-250 price range? Also what would you recommend for a macro lens in the same price range. I am pretty happy with the macro capability of the kit lens but I love to take photos of bugs and well with the 18-55 mm lens i have to get to close to the bugs and they run away!

01-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Take a look at the Tamron 70-300 Ld Di
It is within your price range at about $115
It offers extra range, and even has a modest macro mode on it (between 180mm and 300mm it offers closer focusing by flipping a little switch).
01-22-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

STELLAAAAA!!!!! STELLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

You should make your thread titles a bit more descriptive, and not in all-caps. It will draw in more members to look at your problem. Also, welcome to the forums!

The best option for you would probably be the 50-200mm Pentax DA lens. It is the counterpart to the 18-55mm, and is available for only about $100 used. If you have a little more money, you can also grab the 55-300mm zoom lens, which is about $250 used. But for just $100, you can't really beat the 50-200mm. It's very compact, decent image quality, and fast focusing.
01-23-2010, 12:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barney7307 Quote
Also what would you recommend for a macro lens in the same price range. I am pretty happy with the macro capability of the kit lens but I love to take photos of bugs and well with the 18-55 mm lens i have to get to close to the bugs and they run away!
I don't know about a cheap macro lens with long focal length. Even older macro lenses with ~100mm focal length sometimes go for around $500.

You can try a lens with a longer focal length and put a diopter on it. Diopters are either doublets or singlets. Doublets are "better." You can also experiment with extension tubes.

01-23-2010, 01:27 AM   #5
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think flockofbirds is right.
If you are on budget and you want tele/macro Tamron 70-300 is very potent solution inndeed.
01-23-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by flockofbirds Quote
Take a look at the Tamron 70-300 Ld Di
It is within your price range at about $115
It offers extra range, and even has a modest macro mode on it (between 180mm and 300mm it offers closer focusing by flipping a little switch).
Yes, you can't go wrong.
01-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Barney7307 it depends on your flexibility. If you are willing to use manual focus prime lenses you can get some great lenses within your budget.

There are Pentax 50 and 100 F4 Macros that perform exceptionally well. A great telephoto lens you can find time from time reasonably priced is the M-150 f3.5.

01-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Morning Barney, and welcome to the Forum!

I think that you are approaching this in the right way. After using your camera for a while, and finding what you want to do, then add items where your interests lie.

I do think that the Tamron suggestion has a lot of merit for the price and the focal length range. I had the Pentax FAJ 75-300 which was fine but their 55-300 is much better. This link compares the Tamron to the FAJ and I think that you would be happier with the Tamron, especially with the macro capability. Personally, I like the range to 300 better than 200 because of the additional reach. My feeling is if you initially go with a 200 or so, in time you will just switch to 300.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/8582-tamron-70...-75-300-a.html

On your overall question, I think that you need to answer if manual focusing is of interest. If so, as others have written, there are a world of great manual (both focusing and aperture) lenses out there available for very reasonable prices (even if you have to buy the film body that is attached to the lens). I would prowl the marketplace here, evilbay and KEH for used lenses. Be very patient, and you will find what you are looking for at your price range.
01-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #9

+1 for Tamron 70-300mm.
01-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Did oyu say which lens it was you got off Ebay, and what specifically you found frustrating about it? That might help in recommending alternatives.

As for macro lenses, *manual focus* lenses around 100mm are cheap; only AF ones are expensive. And since AF is next to useless for macro photography anyhow, no real loss in getting the MF version. Or, you could check out the Raynox Club thread in this forum to see if one of those combined with an ordinary telephoto lens would make you happy.
01-23-2010, 12:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Barney and welcome to the forums. I have another solution for you (tho the tammy is a good one) If you don't mind manual focus, check out the Pentax "A" 70-210 F4. It is a great lens and in addition has "macro" capability. It's actually more like close focus and not true macro, but that's what the 18-55mm has also. Besides being a manual focus lens, it's main downfalls are that it's heavy compared to newer lenses, and is only 200mm instead of 300mm like the Tamron. Some ppl have complained about zoom creep with it but my copy isn't any worse than my Tamron 28-75. It's got some but it's not terribly bothersome. You should be able to find one within your price range.
As far as macros are concerned I'd recommend a Raynox 150 or 250 macro filter. They work quite well and are considerably cheaper that a traditional macro lens.

NaCl(older lenses can be as good as the new guys)H2O
01-23-2010, 01:05 PM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, and I agree with the Tamron 70-300 being your best buy.
If you have the kit lens (18-55), you can stick with that for now, it's a fine basic lens.
As Marc says, look out for 50 or 100mm manual focus macro lenses, as these are high quality options, but the Raynox add-on can work wonders on a non-macro telephoto lens...
01-23-2010, 07:33 PM   #13

Original Poster
I think with reading all of the threds I will buy the tamaron lens. I have a 50mm man focus pentax lens that I just cannot focus right, once again thanks again
01-24-2010, 02:41 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Lens???

Thank you Barney! comeon people,any dealers out there that say thanks to our
brothers and sisters serving our country,in the form of a discount?
01-24-2010, 10:51 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BillM Quote
Thank you Barney! comeon people,any dealers out there that say thanks to our
brothers and sisters serving our country,in the form of a discount?
You know I have never looked, I don't expect to get a discount just because I am in the Army. A lot of times around here in Prescott AZ while i am in uniform I get a free soda in the gas stations, and some retired vets have bought my lunch but like I said before I don't expect it but am gracious when it happens!