Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2010, 05:41 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Replacement lens hood has a little issue..

I bought a replacement lens hood for my K20D off Amazon.

First it's a threaded screw on hood unlike the stock hood. And it has like a locking ring or something, but I can't figure out how to lock it so it constantly rotates... At least it does on my rotating circular polarizer. This was not an issue with the original hood.

However a second bigger issue is that when I am fully zoomed out the hood shows up in the corner of the images!!

Has anyone experienced this? Is there a better replacement hood???

Amazon.com: 52MM TULIP FLOWER HARD LENS HOOD FOR DIGITAL CAMERAS: Camera & Photo

This was the hood I bought....

Thanks,

Ken

01-23-2010, 07:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Javaslinger Quote

First it's a threaded screw on hood unlike the stock hood. And it has like a locking ring or something, but I can't figure out how to lock it so it constantly rotates... At least it does on my rotating circular polarizer. This was not an issue with the original hood.

However a second bigger issue is that when I am fully zoomed out the hood shows up in the corner of the images!!

Amazon.com: 52MM TULIP FLOWER HARD LENS HOOD FOR DIGITAL CAMERAS: Camera & Photo

Thanks,

Ken

Yeah, don't buy aftermarket petal hoods, is a good start. The point of a petal hood is that it's made for your lens. If it's not made for your lens, it likely doesn't cover enough and lets flare in where you most need it to not do that, all in an inconvenient shape.

Also, if you stick it on top of a polarizer, the parts you want to not turn will turn and probably introduce the petals into your corners, anyway.

Since you say 52mm, I presume you mean 'kit lens?' I believe someone makes copies of the Pentax one which ought to work OK.

Otherwise, I suggest a round 'wide angle hood' which can ride around on your polarizer and turn any way you please.

Or, a rubber hood which can stay on the lens, and when you want to use a filter, you can just screw that into the lens hood, and fold the hood out of the way while you turn the filter. The rest will stay still. <---Simplest option, btw.

(Also, this thread will likely get moved. I think hood stuff is going to Lenses these days. )
01-24-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Rubber hood that folds is a lot better.
You don't have to take it off when you need to store the lens, just fold it the rubber hood over the lens.
Plus the rubber hood lens being offered now open/close in 3 stages wherein you can fold it for wide angle, open it at mid portion for normal and extend it all the way out for full tele.
It looks better too (at least to me) and is faster to operate.
01-24-2010, 11:45 PM   #4
WJW
Veteran Member

I bought a similar hood to use on a Kodak P880 because the original hood was not available and I really hate the folding rubber hoods. I would have gone with a metal hood but the camera had a 24-140 (35mm eq) so a metal hood at the 24 end wasn't going to be much use at the 140 end. But to make the hood work, I had to modify it slightly. I had the same problem with vignetting (dark corners) and I sanded the threaded end of the hood until the length was short enough not to have the problem. IIRC, I ended up shortening the threads by about 1/16" to eliminate the problem.

As for the locking ring, it is designed to lock the hood so it doesn't rotate. The hood I bought (off ebay) had threads on the inside front so I could attach my filter there. If yours doesn't I would suggest a different hood if you want to use polarizers.

01-25-2010, 12:54 AM   #5

Thanks,

Ken
If it's for the 18-55mm, you can get this: PH-RBA 52mm Lens Hood for Pentax K200D K20D K10D K-M KM - eBay (item 270451880094 end time Feb-01-10 01:09:57 PST)

It has the exact same shape as the original. I bought this for my white 18-55 DA L that came with the Pentax K-x.

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Rubber hood that folds is a lot better.
You don't have to take it off when you need to store the lens, just fold it the rubber hood over the lens.
Plus the rubber hood lens being offered now open/close in 3 stages wherein you can fold it for wide angle, open it at mid portion for normal and extend it all the way out for full tele.
It looks better too (at least to me) and is faster to operate.
I agree: I bought two of these, on for my SMC Pentax-M 50mm 1:1.4 and for a Vivitar 200mm 1:3.5 Preset T-Mount, and they work great! Screw-on caps won't work for me, but normal clip-on works great. Like you said, you don't have to take off the cap, take off the hood, turn it and put it on etc., just take of the cap, drag it out and then fold it back when done.
01-25-2010, 11:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Unless I'm missing something obvious, it's not the hood that's rotating - it's the polarizer. The hood is just along for the ride, since that's where you've mounted it. The stock hood didn't mount to the polarizer but to the lens, and that's why it didn't rotate.

Anyhow, when you buy a hood, it is indeed important to not only match up the mount size, but also the focal length(s) the lens was designed to cover. Generic aftermarket hods are very seldom ideal, as they are trying to fit a a variety of different lenes. Ones designed for your specific lens are almost always better.

Anyhow, I agree this seems to belong in the lens forum, so I'm moving it.
01-25-2010, 12:11 PM   #7
Pentaxian

marc's comment on the polarizer is spot on. the hood may be locked but it is the polarizer that is rotating,

Tulip hoods like this are only intended to be used where there is no rotation of the front element, or filter.

as for vignetting. there are 2 points here,

first, as pointed out by several posters generic hoods are not specifically designed for your lens.

second, there is a spreadsheet, available on the internet for determining the maximum length of a circular hood, based upon lens diameter (and this is front element not filter size) hood diameter, and image sensor size. it is called Hoodcalc.

You can then determine how much your hood infringes on the lens. Note, the length calculated in Hood calc is from the centerline of the front element, so you need to consider how much this is recessed from the front of the lens.