Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #1

Pentax KA 50mm 1.7 - Price point?

Just wondering what's the going price on these? Any opinions on it?

Around here, there is a used KA 50 1.7 for $49 CAD. I'm hoping to maybe negotiate down to $30 CAD....would this be wishing for too much?

I know it's a MF lens, but does the K10d still give the correct AF confirmation light with MF lenses?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Cheers,

FB

06-25-2007, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fireball Quote
I know it's a MF lens, but does the K10d still give the correct AF confirmation light with MF lenses?
I don't know about the current price, but the K10D does confirm AF for MF lenses, even for the M42 line.

Cheers,
-Asad
06-25-2007, 03:40 PM   #3
Forum Member

I think $50-60 USD is about average on ebay, so $49 CAD isn't bad. I would say see if you can talk them down, the worst that can happen is they will say no.
06-25-2007, 03:41 PM   #4

Original Poster
Great to hear! Thanks for the info!

Is the AF confirmation, for the most part, reasonably accurate? Also, I hear people talking about buying split focus screens to replace the existing matte screen, but I do not want to go this route (since I will be usually using AF lenses anyways, and I don't want to be dinking around with the camera internals). Will MF still yield a noticeable difference between sharp focus and out-of-focus when tuning with the viewfinder?

06-29-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fireball Quote
Is the AF confirmation, for the most part, reasonably accurate?
It's accurate if you turn the focus ring very slowly near the focus point so that you can stop without any overshoot. So, to get a fairly quick MF, I turn the ring fast until I've obviously gone through the focus point and the subject has got a small amount of blur, then I turn it quickly again in the reverse direction until it blurs about the same amount. I then know that the true focus point is halfway between these two and can now turn the ring very slowly back towards it until I get AF confirmation. Stop rotating the focus ring and take the shot.