Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 01:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 VC test on photozone

Tamron AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF] VC (Canon) - Review / Test Report

It looks like it's actually noticeably inferior to the non-VC variant. I post this here, because a lot of people on this forum and photozone like the non-VC version of this lens. An in-body image stabilizer and the older non-VC lens seems like a more sensible combination...

01-25-2010, 10:34 PM   #2

I was thinking of picking the VC version up for my Canon system -- this was before the photozone test, but am glad to get the Kx & 17-50 non-VC instead.
01-25-2010, 11:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's too bad - I was considering that lens rather than the EF-S if I ever got a crop sensor Canon - I'll probably still consider the non Vietcong version if I ever get a 7D - I'm just not finding stabilization all that necessary on shorter focal lengths...
01-25-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Do you think it may have anything to do with the fact that the new lens is tested on the higher resolution 15MP 50D, and the old one was tested on the 8mp 350D?

I notice that sometimes Klaus rates the lenses lower on the 15MP camera. For example, for the EF 70-200L f/4 IS USM, (the lens he said the "EOS goddess of mercy" inspired, you know the lens that Ken Rockwell of all people said is "the sharpest zoom lens I have ever used") he gave 5 stars in optical quality. When he tested again, he gave it 4 stars.

Maybe that is not it because when I look at it, the Tamron with VC drops off in edge sharpness where the original doesn't. Could it be the optical element used for the VC?

01-25-2010, 11:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
taurus9: ...... but am glad to get the Kx & 17-50 non-VC instead.
That must be a killer setup for low-light!

QuoteQuote:
heliophoto: I'm just not finding stabilization all that necessary on shorter focal lengths...
Precisely my sentiments on IS with wide angle. So, if you ever do pick up a CS Canon, just pick up a used, original 17-50 then.

QuoteQuote:
Pentax Poke: Maybe that is not it because when I look at it, the Tamron with VC drops off in edge sharpness where the original doesn't. Could it be the optical element used for the VC?
I am not knowledgeable enough to answer this, though I wish I were. It boggles my mind why Tamron would mess with such a good thing.
01-26-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The VC version lists for $650 and the non VC you can buy for $350-399...hmm, that's a lot for something that we have built into our cameras already. I have the standard version and it works just fine as is.

Jason
01-26-2010, 01:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Do you think it may have anything to do with the fact that the new lens is tested on the higher resolution 15MP 50D, and the old one was tested on the 8mp 350D?

I notice that sometimes Klaus rates the lenses lower on the 15MP camera. For example, for the EF 70-200L f/4 IS USM, (the lens he said the "EOS goddess of mercy" inspired, you know the lens that Ken Rockwell of all people said is "the sharpest zoom lens I have ever used") he gave 5 stars in optical quality. When he tested again, he gave it 4 stars.

Maybe that is not it because when I look at it, the Tamron with VC drops off in edge sharpness where the original doesn't. Could it be the optical element used for the VC?
Yeah, I'm not sure whether his stars are fair. He mentions that "There's also a bit of a field curvature problem here." If the field curvature is significant, then the borders and corners of his ISO chart are out of focus. Leica 35/1.4 Summilux-R would really stink in this kind of a test. But "3 stars" means "good" on photozone. Of course, it's best to test it out yourself, but not everybody has that luxury.

I tend to post links to websites...here's one:
http://diglloyd.com/articles/UnderstandingOptics/understanding-field-curvature.html

Last edited by asdf; 01-26-2010 at 01:58 AM.
01-26-2010, 08:19 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
That's too bad - I was considering that lens rather than the EF-S if I ever got a crop sensor Canon - I'll probably still consider the non Vietcong version if I ever get a 7D - I'm just not finding stabilization all that necessary on shorter focal lengths...
For photography, I would agree that IS in those focal lengths are not really necessary. If you plan to use video in the 7D, then I would consider getting an image stabilized lens because it eliminates the 'shakes' -- makes for better movies without getting headaches.

Of course, with Pentax, all lenses are stabilized and that eliminates having to decide to IS or not to IS.
01-26-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by taurus9 Quote
If you plan to use video in the 7D, then I would consider getting an image stabilized lens because it eliminates the 'shakes' -- makes for better movies without getting headaches.
Yeah, IS stabilization in a camcorder makes the shakes smoother. They're still there, but not as distracting and nauseating.
01-26-2010, 09:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by taurus9 Quote
For photography, I would agree that IS in those focal lengths are not really necessary. If you plan to use video in the 7D, then I would consider getting an image stabilized lens because it eliminates the 'shakes' -- makes for better movies without getting headaches.

Of course, with Pentax, all lenses are stabilized and that eliminates having to decide to IS or not to IS.
True, stabilized video is nice, and in my limited experience, the Pentax SR seems superior to IS for video. From what I remember, the K-7 seemed to have a soft "edge" to it's SR travel - when it reached a limit of it's compensation, the transition to movement seemend smoother than I get from the Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS, which is fine within it's stabilized range, but then there's a bumpy sudden transition to movement when the limit is exceeded. Also the sound of the IS lens is more prominent in the recording that anything I heard from the SR on the k-7. It would be interesting if someone who had these cameras side by side would perform a comparison (I should have when I had the chance, but didn't).
01-26-2010, 04:06 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
True, stabilized video is nice, and in my limited experience, the Pentax SR seems superior to IS for video. From what I remember, the K-7 seemed to have a soft "edge" to it's SR travel - when it reached a limit of it's compensation, the transition to movement seemend smoother than I get from the Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS, which is fine within it's stabilized range, but then there's a bumpy sudden transition to movement when the limit is exceeded. Also the sound of the IS lens is more prominent in the recording that anything I heard from the SR on the k-7. It would be interesting if someone who had these cameras side by side would perform a comparison (I should have when I had the chance, but didn't).
I can say that Pentax SR on the Kx is quite effective, but once it gets really bumpy, then the sound gets in the way of the video. Otherwise, under normal circumstances when I'm trying to be as stable as possible, the sound with SR on is acceptable (to me) on the video.

The K7 (and 7D for that matter), does let you mount an external mic. That may help with keeping the IS/SR sound away.