Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
Forum Member

CPL filter questions for FA 31mm limited

Could someone share experiences with FA 31mm and a circular polarizer (CPL) filter?

Here are a few questions I would like to ask:
1. What brand/model is your CPL filter?
2. Has the filter gotten stuck on your FA 31mm? I mean those dreadful situations where you could not remove it easily.
3. Does your CPL filter gives any vignetting effects on FA 31mm?

I use a wide angle prime most of the time. Before replaced by a FA 31mm, a FA 35mm had been my walkaround lens. Liked it very much for its sharpness even at wide open. For the FA 35mm, I used a Marumi DHG CPL filter (77mm filter size, 5mm slim ring design) with a step-up ring. I wish my FA 31mm can take the same setup, but the built-in hood won't allow it.

I am asking the above questions because I would like to find a right filter so that I can avoid situations as in questions 2 and 3. At least for a few times, my Marumi CPL filter got stuck on the step-up ring and Sigma 10-20mm (directly mounted without a step-up ring). Due to its slim design, I had a tough time applying enough torque to rotate it with my fingers. Actually, I needed to use a filter wrench to get it off from the lens. Now I fear that if a CPL filter ever gets stuck on the FA 31mm I will be in a really dreadful situation because the built-in hood will keep me from using a filter wrench. So I feel getting a "non-slim" CPL filter is a safer choice as I could probably grab the filter ring much easily. But now I wonder if a thicker ring would cause vignetting on the lens.

Thanks for your inputs.

01-25-2010, 04:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the same problems with removing with the slim Hoya/Kenko CPLs. So you are not alone... As I have never used a CPL on my 31mm, I cannot be of much help. I would probably simply fix a larger thread ring to the outside of the FA's hood (three small screws should be enough to fix that ring)

Ben
01-25-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've been using CPL filter regularly with my 31. Never had problems wiith it. It's Cokin 58mm screw in design (haven't saved enough for better one).
Truth is, I rerely mount it on the lens itself. I have two empty filter rings permanently mounted on 31. These bring the filter thread close enough to the edge of the built in hood for another hood to be mounted. At the moment I'm using hood from Tak 85/1.9 without any noticable vignetting (Though I never formaly tested it). This setup is fine even if I mount the CPL between the rings and the hood. I wouldn't be concerned by vignetting all that much. I've seen test where Canon guy used addpter to mount 31ltd on 5D MKII, which resulted in the leens being angled roughly 40 degrees as opposed to it's intented position so you'dd expect the built in hood to vignette but despite the camera being FF it didn't.

BR
Peter

PS: forgot to add that if you have step up ring from 58 to 77 you can just mount 3 empty filter rings on the lens. That will clear the built in hood and you can but the step up ring and CPL on top. I believe it will not vignette.
01-25-2010, 12:18 PM   #4

Hi,

I use a B+W MRC polarizer (the "normal" version, not the slim one) with my FA-31, and never had vignetting issues ... In fact, it is not really easily unscrewed from the lens because of the hood, nevertheless it doesn't require a lot of time or special tools to remove (but it is better if you don't wear gloves while trying to unscrew it) ...

If you are looking for brand names, the best filters i have used are B+W, Hoya Pro, Cokin and Marumi WPC. Avoid Heliopan polarizers, i got some ghost images using them under some lighning conditions ...

Hope this helps.

Cheers

01-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
> Ben

Thanks for your comments. The slim CPL filters from Hoya/Kenko are now out. Glad to find this out as their Pro1 Digital filters were on my list. Also a very interesting suggestion for mounting my 77mm CPL filter by fixing a larger thread ring to the outside of the lens hood. Although I couldn't dare to try screwing against the side of the built-in hood, I certainly did not think of this one.

> Peter

Thanks for sharing your experience with FA 31mm, a Cokin filter, as well as an extra lens hood. Yes, if your hood from Tak 85/1.9 does not cause vignetting, a regular size CPL filter should have no effects on vignetting. Yes, the "3 empty filter rings + a 58-77 step-up ring" strategy should work. It is nice that all I need would be three empty rings or junk filters from ebay or local camera stores.

> Indianadinos

Thanks for your inputs. Yes, information regarding specific brands and models is very helpful. I am a bit surprised to hear negative comments on Heliopan filters, though. Spending an extra $$ to get a B+W CPL filter (MRC or even Kaesemann MRC) sounds like a good investment in a long run. FA 31mm is my best glass in terms of price, frequent use, and image quality. So I might as well put the best filter money can buy when I afford.
09-21-2014, 01:02 PM   #6

Is it possible to use a B+W Step-Up Adapter Ring 58mm to 67mm on the FA 31mm?

I have three lenses (58mm, 62mm & 67mm) and wish to buy just one CPL filter to use with the step-up ring - but given the design of the hood on the FA 31mm, I'm a bit uncertain if this will work?

Anyone tried this?
09-21-2014, 07:02 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I had the same question on an earlier thread. The work around is to purchase 4 cheap 5dollar Chinese UV filters from ebay and remove the glass, and then screw them together to make a tube that allows you to clear the lens hood of the FA 31. They also posted a picture. I thought it looked rather garish so there's no way I would do it. I got enough people pointing and laughing at me for no good reason. I don't need to give them more reasons to point and stare

Here's the link to that Frankenstein looking lens. http://https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/7157-sale-sold-fs-lens-hood-fa-31mm-ltd.html

Last edited by Driline; 09-21-2014 at 07:08 PM.