Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
multi-coated clear filters?

I'm about to buy a new K-7 and one or two lenses, and I've already bought a couple lenses from forum members.

I've read this thread--
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/42290-protecti...ht=filter+poll
--and while part of me agrees with the "no filter, just the lens" folks, I remember when A. Doren showed me one of the lenses from his Hassy . . . he'd been photographing a welder high on a skyscraper when a bit of molten whatever landed smack on the front element. His lens instantly turned into a interesting specialty lens and object lesson for his students. And he started using filters.

I don't plan on being in such a situation, but since then, I've pretty much kept good filters on my lenses.

So I'm going to buy good filters for my new (and used, new-to-me) Pentax lenses, probably B&W (though I know there are other makers of the same quality out there).

My question is this: has anyone used the B&W multi-coated Clear filters? I wonder if this might be the better route to go, rather than buying skylight or UV filters. (I haven't yet checked to see such offerings from Heliopan and others.)

Any other thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated, too. (I'm guessing there's no way to put a protective filter on the K17/4 FE I bought, but if anyone has an idea about that, I'd be grateful.

01-25-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I think most people when discussing the issue of clear, skylight, and UV filters are not saying at all that there is no value in using filters. The question is whether or not to leave them permanantly attached to every lens all the time. In the example you mention of the welding slag damaging the lens, yes, lens protection is certainly necessary. So is eye protection. Standing underneath someone welding above you is a dangerous place to be. Those pretty sparks are actually small pieces of melted steel and remain dangerously hot even after they no longer glow. I have UV filters to fit every lens I own (except the fisheye) but don't shoot with them all the time. If I think there might be a risk to my lens like wind blown dust and sand, salt spray, etc., I will use the filter.

I haven't used the particular filter you mentioned. To minimize the risk of loss of IQ, it makes sense to buy a good filter from one of the better known companys.
01-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Standing underneath someone welding above you is a dangerous place to be.
Yes--too dangerous for me, for sure. Not a situation I'll be in! I'm sure there'll be less extreme circumstances, though. I am considering removing filters for some situtations--that makes sense.
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I haven't used the particular filter you mentioned. To minimize the risk of loss of IQ, it makes sense to buy a good filter from one of the better known companys.
Yes, this certainly makes sense. Good glass deserves good glass. (Though I just now remembered using a rubber band to hold plastic wrap over my lenses years ago to get a soft-focus effect. I hadn't thought about that for ages. . . .)
01-25-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by grey goat Quote
...I'm guessing there's no way to put a protective filter on the K17/4 FE I bought, but if anyone has an idea about that, I'd be grateful.
If you're using the lens on APS-C, you might be able to fit something over the whole lens barrel that can then take filters. I didn't have a cap for my fisheye, so I used three 67mm filter rings with no glass, and a 67mm cap. I could screw a filter onto this. If you switch to film, you have to remember that this contraption will show in the shot. I forgot here: