Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ProMaster 70-300 - seeking Image quality opinions

Hi all. I swung by our local camera store this afternoon and tried out one of the lenses they had on hand that had been recommended on a previous visit (when I did not have camera with me). It's the Pro-Master 70-300 zoom, which they told me to go outside and take some shots and see what I thought.

Overall, I liked it. Curious to see what other folks' assessment of the imagae quality is, though, at the max zoom. Since my primary purpose is getting good shots of college marching band from way up in the stands, I have a particular interst in the top range. Be nice to actually have the kid be identifiable in this year's photos :-)

Anyway, "sample_01" was at 300mm, shot (handheld) across a parking lot, a 4-lane road, and a good margin of grass. "sample_02" was also at 300mm, just a shot of the brick storefront (shaded) from about 15 ft away. Both samples are crops from central regions at 100%.

Thoughts? the list price is about $175 US - seems worth it to me but interested in other's opinions too.

Jim

Last edited by RoxnDox; 07-16-2007 at 10:35 AM.
06-25-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by CycloneBandDad Quote
Hi all. I swung by our local camera store this afternoon and tried out one of the lenses they had on hand that had been recommended on a previous visit (when I did not have camera with me). It's the Pro-Master 70-300 zoom, which they told me to go outside and take some shots and see what I thought.

Overall, I liked it. Curious to see what other folks' assessment of the imagae quality is, though, at the max zoom. Since my primary purpose is getting good shots of college marching band from way up in the stands, I have a particular interst in the top range. Be nice to actually have the kid be identifiable in this year's photos :-)

Anyway, "sample_01" was at 300mm, shot (handheld) across a parking lot, a 4-lane road, and a good margin of grass. "sample_02" was also at 300mm, just a shot of the brick storefront (shaded) from about 15 ft away. Both samples are crops from central regions at 100%.

Thoughts? the list price is about $175 US - seems worth it to me but interested in other's opinions too.

Jim
If you look at the Tamron 70-300 side by side with the Promaster, you'll find them to be the same lens. I have one and I find it to be neither a poor or great lens. Some purple fringing with high contrast shots and near maximum focal lengths.

I you shop around e-bay, you can find practically new ones for $100 or less.
06-25-2007, 08:56 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Yep, the first time I went in I was asking about the Pentax 50-200 and the Tamron 70-300, and the guy told about the Promaster being the same lens with a different name on it... Today I actually had the camera with me and had enough time to try it out a bit.

I would probably go ahead and buy the lens there, even if costs more than ebay. I kinda like supporting places that will let me play around with the items, worth the difference (to me anyway).

Thanks
06-26-2007, 12:38 PM   #4
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by CycloneBandDad Quote
Yep, the first time I went in I was asking about the Pentax 50-200 and the Tamron 70-300, and the guy told about the Promaster being the same lens with a different name on it... Today I actually had the camera with me and had enough time to try it out a bit.

I would probably go ahead and buy the lens there, even if costs more than ebay. I kinda like supporting places that will let me play around with the items, worth the difference (to me anyway).

Thanks
Given the choice again, I would buy the Tamron and not the Promaster, rebagged, version.