Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 09:08 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
The problem is my wife knows nothing about photography. When I said I wanted to buy a new lens she said "how much this time". I mumbled "I don't know. About one thousand" I let you immagine the rest. Fast forward to yesterday when I told here I could probably sell the DA 35 for more I paid for it and use the money to finance the FA 31. Then she asked "Why did you buy it in the first place then?" And I can't explain to her the difference between these two lens. What would you do to convince her if she was you wife?

01-25-2010, 09:45 PM   #17

Here's they key - acquire enough inexpensive lenses to the point where your wife starts calling them "those lenses". Once this happens, she's lost count of how many there actually are, and which ones you have.

Then you're home free - sell a few and get your 31ltd. She'll be none the wiser, have absolutely no clue how much it cost, and you'll be elated!

I tried to resist its siren call, but failed. It's supposed to arrive Thursday...

Cheers!
01-26-2010, 12:11 AM   #18
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
The problem is my wife knows nothing about photography. When I said I wanted to buy a new lens she said "how much this time". I mumbled "I don't know. About one thousand" I let you immagine the rest. Fast forward to yesterday when I told here I could probably sell the DA 35 for more I paid for it and use the money to finance the FA 31. Then she asked "Why did you buy it in the first place then?" And I can't explain to her the difference between these two lens. What would you do to convince her if she was you wife?

My Wife "What's in the box?"

Me "New Camera/Lens" (it varies)

Wife "What do you need a new camera/lens for?"

Me "Assignment for school, I can't do it with what I already have".
01-26-2010, 02:49 AM   #19
Veteran Member

No it is worse when she does know enough about lens to know the better lens does not make me a better photog, rather it was just money that could have bought more baby outfits.

01-26-2010, 03:14 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
You're right: you're nuts but, if it's any help, you're not alone: every so often I get the urge to swap out my 31 for that 35 &/or my 77 for a 70. I'm making progress though--my lens collection has gone unchanged for over 36 hours.
How wonderful to be crazy in this way.
There is an antidote, I know.
It's called "go out and shoot"
01-26-2010, 03:33 AM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by markf79 Quote
Here's they key - acquire enough inexpensive lenses to the point where your wife starts calling them "those lenses".
I sort of used that method to acquire all my lenses
01-26-2010, 07:26 PM   #22

Original Poster
The best advice ever posted on this forum: the multiplication of the lens. My only problem is my wife might not know a lot about lens, but she does keep an eye on our Mastercard account and she can count. I must be careful, she is sitting next to me right now. Ok, she just decided to go to bed. I think the FF argument could be a good option. Let's face it, if Pentax ever comes up with a FF camera, all my DA's will be useless. Thus, by buying FA's, I can keep them longer and decrease the annual cost of my equipment. What do you think?

01-26-2010, 07:35 PM   #23
Veteran Member

The solution is CASH. No bill no evidence. "Honey I swear I had that lens before, remember that picture I took were you looked so hot, I used that lens."
01-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
Stand up to her! Show her who wears the pants in this ..err...your house..!

oops...gotta go....Anne's coming..

Go on, get your lens, your bitten, there is no escape, no way out or back, just make it easy on yourself, get the lens, bask in the glory of LBA....and make youreslf comfy in the garage for awhile.
01-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #25
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
"Honey I swear I had that lens before, remember that picture I took were you looked so hot, I used that lens."
"But, you never take pictures of me, don't call me "Honey". Who have you been seeing?".
01-27-2010, 09:18 AM   #26

Original Poster
I already live in the garage with the dog and my photography equipment. I mean, what's the next step? Seriously, I could say I want to buy this lens while it is still made in japan. She could probably buy this argument. Even better, I could say they are going to end production soon and that prices are going to be crazy on the used market. After all, I use the price increase of last year in Canada to buy my DA*200. By the way, this is probably the only lens that has not been affected by the 20% price increase. So instead of telling her how much I paid, I could tell her only how much I think I saved. Now that's strategic! Hurry up if you have better ideas, LBA is going to strike soon.
01-27-2010, 09:32 AM   #27

"By the way, this is probably the only lens that has not been affected by the 20% price increase. So instead of telling her how much I paid, I could tell her only how much I think I saved."

That's what our US Federal government does, might as well give it a try!
01-27-2010, 11:24 AM   #28
Damn Brit

It is an investment because lenses keep going up in price.
Chances are you'll get your money back (or more) if you had to sell it at any point.
01-27-2010, 11:49 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by markf79 Quote
Here's they key - acquire enough inexpensive lenses to the point where your wife starts calling them "those lenses".
QuoteOriginally posted by mcjm78 Quote
I sort of used that method to acquire all my lenses
I used that method, too, but my wife started reading the front of my lenses when I pointed them at her... so her expression in my recent shots is "Hey, that one says 'Zeiss'! Was that expensive?" (Answer; "Cheaper than a mistress, dear!")

Just don't get the silver 31 ltd, since it'll stick out. All black and "the comptroller" is typically none the wiser!

-mark
01-27-2010, 01:15 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Fancy lens hoods are bad too, pick up the DA 18-45 with reversable lens hood. And bam she knew it was new. I claimed used and a steal at $200. Which was true, but didn't help.

Last edited by icywarm; 01-27-2010 at 02:10 PM.