Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #16
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
How about the FA43/1.9 Limited ?
I didn't see it on his list.

01-25-2010, 02:50 PM   #17
Site Supporter

imfinetoday... what camera will you be using this lens on? If you have a K-x, a lens with an aperture for f/2.8 might not be a bad option. With the K-x's great high ISO performance, options like the DA 40mm and DA 35mm f/2.8 Limiteds might work very well. Start with low ISO and when f/2.8 doesn't give you enough light anymore, just turn up the ISO. I, on the other hand, have a K200D and ISO 1600 is about as high as one would want to get. If you have the same camera, or a K10D, I can see the need for a fast lens.
01-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #18

Original Poster
I am currently using a K20. Currently i have a 2.8 and i don't like going over 1600. The grain just drives me insane.
01-25-2010, 08:58 PM   #19

Seems like you want FL > 35mm type of prime if portrait style is what you intended.

Sometimes I find low light and portait style doesn't goes too well in a social gathering, as group photos are required. Those FL is just too narrow. If thats the type of context you are thinking of using, then <30mm is better.

I started with FA 50, thinking of getting fast prime for low light shooting, but found it too narrow for social gathering or restaurant dinning situation. So I went with FA 35... still a bit tight... In the end I went to FA 24mm instead.

If you dont' use it in the above described situation, then I would recommend ta FA 43 or DA 55 or Sigma 50. You can decide with your wallet.

01-25-2010, 09:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by imfinetoday Quote
I don't do a whole lot of landscape-esque type of stuff. But i can't say that landscape doesn't come into play when I'm out and about. I personally find myself coming more toward the portrait side. I think at this point more of an all around standard lens would be good. I do find myself in a lot of low light situations lately where my current lens doesn't seem to be cutting it.
Which in my opinion makes something in the 50mm to 80mm range highly desirable.
01-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imfinetoday Quote
Gonna sell it eh?

Lets say the subject (in focus) is off to the side of the frame. How does the 30 do there? Is it just always soft?
Hehe... I don't think it'll be that bad as people suggest (IF you get a good copy). If they're in the FAR FAR corner side then... yeah, you might see it. But for most people shots, it's not a big deal.

And yeah, I might sell the Sigma 30 as I like the build of the DA35 but the low light of the Sigma 30... that gives me the FA31!

Gastown Photoshoot on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here's one with my subject to the far side. Either my copy is excellent, or I don't see any issues. Note that I post-processed this one a bit too.
01-25-2010, 09:24 PM   #22

IMHO i wouldn't be afraid of grabbing a fast fifty. Price is right and there are plenty of good copies around. even with the 'dreamy' reputation at f1.4, that little baby sharpen up nicely with just a stop down. At f2.8, it is seriously sharp and still of significant aperture for pleasing bokeh, while other lens are just beginning to catch up. Just make sure you get a nice hood with it.
01-25-2010, 10:12 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by truonganh Quote
IMHO i wouldn't be afraid of grabbing a fast fifty. Price is right and there are plenty of good copies around. even with the 'dreamy' reputation at f1.4, that little baby sharpen up nicely with just a stop down. At f2.8, it is seriously sharp and still of significant aperture for pleasing bokeh, while other lens are just beginning to catch up. Just make sure you get a nice hood with it.
Agreed. I've built up a pretty good collection of lenses, some zooms, some primes, FA, DA, D-FA, DA*, and others; I was recently looking at some Photozone reviews, and, at least based on MTF values (well, and my own seat-of-the-pants impression), my FA-35/2 and FA-50/1.4 are still my sharpest lenses. And yes a good lens hood is essential for the FA-50. I prefer this: B+W | 49mm Screw-In Metal Telephoto Lens Hood #960 | 65069625
A 52mm pinch-type lens cap fits perfectly, and there is no vignetting. Personally I use the 50 far more than the 35, but that's just me. Good luck!

Last edited by NeverSatisfied; 01-25-2010 at 10:13 PM. Reason: added info
01-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #24

Original Poster
I think right now for me and what i'd like it's between the 24mm and 30mm. i like the size of the 30, but i heard that the bokeh on the 24 is better. decisions. decisions. i don't know how much searching i've done. probably too much. haha!
01-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #25
Forum Member

Did anyone try the Zeiss (full time manual focus)? I am planning to get Zeiss Makro Planar 100mm f/2 and 25mm f/2.8 ZK Distagon T* . Tested Nikon sample last week and I am impressed with the quality will be buying Pentax version very soon.