Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Super-Multi-Coated Takumar 1:1.4 50mm vs. Super-Takumar 1:1.4 50mm

An exploration in how the Asahi Optical Company developed its renowned fast 50s...and the realization that I was crazy to rank the Super-Takumar at 13th out of 16 lenses.

Both of these lenses are great. Check out the sixth matchup in my Normal Lens Shootout.

--Sean

06-25-2007, 08:25 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Interesting!
Perhaps you should create a review post in the Lens Review Database with a link to your pbase page!
06-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Interesting!
Perhaps you should create a review post in the Lens Review Database with a link to your pbase page!
Maybe when I'm done I'll get Adam to look into migrating it here! We'll see - there is still a ton of work to do. From here on out the differences between the lenses are going to be slight - I sense a few 'subjective' winners.
06-25-2007, 08:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So far, the higher ranked lens has "outperformed" the lesser ranked lens each time. Will we see any surprises in Round 1? (I was betting on a couple underdogs, so am hoping to still have 7 of the 8 correct for this round).

BTW - I need to reread your description again, but still am not entirely clear about the S-M-C vs. SMC distinctions. Am I correct that S-M-C came first in 1971, then SMC in 197? - with the S-M-C and SMC both standing for "Super Multi-coated" just the initial development and then the refinement of the coating?

06-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
So far, the higher ranked lens has "outperformed" the lesser ranked lens each time. Will we see any surprises in Round 1? (I was betting on a couple underdogs, so am hoping to still have 7 of the 8 correct for this round).

BTW - I need to reread your description again, but still am not entirely clear about the S-M-C vs. SMC distinctions. Am I correct that S-M-C came first in 1971, then SMC in 197? - with the S-M-C and SMC both standing for "Super Multi-coated" just the initial development and then the refinement of the coating?
Yes, I use "S-M-C Tak" to stand for Super-Multi-Coated Takumar and "SMC Tak" to stand for SMC Takumar. The SMC Takumar line is optically unchanged from the Super-Multi-Coated Takumar one, but the SMC Taks have a rubberized focus grip.

S-M-C Tak came first, in 1971.

For much more information, see the Asahi Optical Historical Club.
06-25-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by betsypdx Quote
Hmmm - I shot the samples for the seventh match today, and am looking at them now.

IMO you only have one shot at an upset left...until Round 2.