Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2010, 06:38 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yikes. Several months of retirement in one slightly dusty case.

01-26-2010, 06:43 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope I can find something like that around this time next year. This year's tax return is renovating our kitchen but next year's gets to be used on photography. My LBA itch is gonna be scratched bigtime...
01-26-2010, 06:46 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
WTF posesses people to post these threads? Fer god's sake why inflate the price?
Guaranteed the seller doesn't mind

I know I like it when I have something for sale on eBay and it gets posted on a big forum. The real idiots are the ones who bid on an item early. That's just pointless. It shows interest in the item, so the seller can ask a couple of friends to inflate the price. Better to keep the item in your bookmarks (NOT on your watch list) and wait till the last minute to bid the actual amount you're willing to pay.
01-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I can't even imagine trying to manually focus a 400mm lens attached to a 2x converter It would have to be anchored into the ground with a steel post, with all pivots welded in place. I have a hard enough time with my 135mm + 3x converter.

01-26-2010, 07:41 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Just depends which side of the fence you happen to be on. If I were the seller (notice that lens just happened to get its only review in this forum database yesterday) I would love it. As the current high bidder, I hate it. But if not for this thread I would never have seen it in time.

Thank you Jacques! If I am rash enough to follow through and own it tomorrow night, you are welcome to use it anytime you happen to vacation here at the beach! Goes for you too Wally when you get your camera fixed.
Invitation accepted!
Hope you get it and show us what it can do.

JP
01-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #36
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I can't even imagine trying to manually focus a 400mm lens attached to a 2x converter It would have to be anchored into the ground with a steel post, with all pivots welded in place. I have a hard enough time with my 135mm + 3x converter.
The TCs may be autofocusing but if not its got to be easier than focusing my 800mm reflex lens with a dim f/8 max aperture. Thats actually the only time I use the Live View for anything.
01-26-2010, 09:36 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Inflate the price?? If it goes (bet you $20 it won't) for my current high bid, I will happily own it. But if you follow ebay crap you know most of the real buyers are waiting until 10 seconds left. They won't let me have it and I will have no impact on its price. WTF posesses you to think you understand the dynamics of ebay better than the actual buyers?
I think you miss the point. It's not about your recreational bid--it's that the thread may provoke serious bidders. When you're seriously interested in an item, the fewer who know it's there, the more likely you are to get it at a good price.

01-27-2010, 12:42 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
I think you miss the point. It's not about your recreational bid--it's that the thread may provoke serious bidders. When you're seriously interested in an item, the fewer who know it's there, the more likely you are to get it at a good price.
No one here fails to grasp that point. It just does not describe the entire reality with this particular sale.

First, since when is this board dedicated to seeing that individuals who sell on Ebay (who may even be posters here, as well) get as little for their equipment as possible?

Second, this is not a run of the mill item. It is newsworthy. It is also a hugely watched item, and it is very doubtful that enough serious bidders will be added by this thread to make a significant difference above those who will be there anyway.
01-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
First, since when is this board dedicated to seeing that individuals who sell on Ebay (who may even be posters here, as well) get as little for their equipment as possible?

Second, this is not a run of the mill item. It is newsworthy. It is also a hugely watched item, and it is very doubtful that enough serious bidders will be added by this thread to make a significant difference above those who will be there anyway.
Amen to that!
01-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
I hope I can find something like that around this time next year. This year's tax return is renovating our kitchen but next year's gets to be used on photography. My LBA itch is gonna be scratched bigtime...

Mike - If I end up with it, you can buy it from me in a year. How about that? In fact if you want to make a deposit now I will add that to my max bid to make sure you get it next year.

Check my progress on ebay, I'm the bidder with (12) reviews.
01-27-2010, 03:51 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Mike - If I end up with it, you can buy it from me in a year. How about that? In fact if you want to make a deposit now I will add that to my max bid to make sure you get it next year.

Check my progress on ebay, I'm the bidder with (12) reviews.
Good luck and enjoy it while you can. The real bidding starts in 7 hours.
01-27-2010, 03:57 PM   #42
Site Supporter

Good luck and enjoy it while you can. The real bidding starts in 7 hours.
Quite right. I was not sure how serious I was in the beginning but I sold a kidney today so am as ready as I can be for the last minute push.
01-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Quite right. I was not sure how serious I was in the beginning but I sold a kidney today so am as ready as I can be for the last minute push.
Was the kidney on Ebay?
01-27-2010, 04:10 PM   #44
Site Supporter

Was the kidney on Ebay?

Listed as a "Buy it Now" since the kidney was already in a cooler and starting to smell..........like a lot of ebay transactions.

ps - Time to sit back and watch until 10 seconds to go....

Last edited by imtheguy; 01-27-2010 at 05:35 PM.
01-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Selling the kidney put me over the top.

The lens and TCs are now mine.

Nothing like a little recreational bidding to keep me off the streets.