Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2010, 12:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am of the opinion that auctions should only be posted if one or more of the following conditions are met:
  • The auction has ended.
  • The current price (or BIN) is ludicrous; e.g. an SMC-A 50mm f/1.2 for $999.
  • The item itself is ludicrous; e.g. a gold-plated LX.
  • The seller is a known scammer.
  • The item is incorrectly listed as being a better or correct version; e.g. an SMC-A 50mm f/2 listed as an f/1.2, or a Nikon lens listed as Pentax mount, or a K or M lens listed as A series, etc.

01-26-2010, 03:37 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alfisti Quote
WTF posesses people to post these threads? Fer god's sake why inflate the price?
Are you one of the bidder by any chance?

JP
01-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I am of the opinion that auctions should only be posted if one or more of the following conditions are met:
  • The auction has ended.
  • The current price (or BIN) is ludicrous; e.g. an SMC-A 50mm f/1.2 for $999.
  • The item itself is ludicrous; e.g. a gold-plated LX.
  • The seller is a known scammer.
  • The item is incorrectly listed as being a better or correct version; e.g. an SMC-A 50mm f/2 listed as an f/1.2, or a Nikon lens listed as Pentax mount, or a K or M lens listed as A series, etc.

Meaning?
Then maybe we ought to pull this thread out and be careful next time?
No hard feelings ... just a statement.
JP
01-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I agree for the most part with Miserere.

This particular thread though, it probably doesn't make a difference. I just looked at a different lens listing and the "Check out the most watched" banner across the bottom of the page listed this A* 400/2.8. It was accompanied by some high end Nikon glass within the banner.

I was one of the early bidders, while it was in the sub thousands category (before this thread showed up), just to have the opportunity to do it. I guess I can be blamed for inflating the price as well...

01-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Tell her you bought a white lens because white goes with everything.

And it is so big, because....

This set is truly a birder's dream.
01-26-2010, 04:09 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Inflate the price?? If it goes (bet you $20 it won't) for my current high bid, I will happily own it. But if you follow ebay crap you know most of the real buyers are waiting until 10 seconds left. They won't let me have it and I will have no impact on its price. WTF posesses you to think you understand the dynamics of ebay better than the actual buyers?
So true. With anything like this, I tend to watch the item and check my nerves with about 10 minutes left. With some auction sites, you can put in a minimum bid and you will often slide to the finish, but it never happens with Pentax lenses on Ebay these days. There will be 20 bids in the last minute.
01-26-2010, 04:21 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
So true. With anything like this, I tend to watch the item and check my nerves with about 10 minutes left. With some auction sites, you can put in a minimum bid and you will often slide to the finish, but it never happens with Pentax lenses on Ebay these days. There will be 20 bids in the last minute.
Yes, the majority of the bidding usually happens in the last few minutes, but when posting a thread in a forum like this, it puts more eyes on the auction, more interested buyers, meaning more people bidding in those last few minutes.

Not sure how this is a difficult concept to understand...

01-26-2010, 04:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Yes, the majority of the bidding usually happens in the last few minutes, but when posting a thread in a forum like this, it puts more eyes on the auction, more interested buyers, meaning more people bidding in those last few minutes.

The nerve--violating the secret of the most watched item on Ebay!

Powerball is at $76,000,000. Let's see how much effect that posting has on the jackpot.

I do understand the concept, I just don't think there will be much effect in this case.
01-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvfd911 Quote
I agree for the most part with Miserere.

This particular thread though, it probably doesn't make a difference. I just looked at a different lens listing and the "Check out the most watched" banner across the bottom of the page listed this A* 400/2.8. It was accompanied by some high end Nikon glass within the banner.

I was one of the early bidders, while it was in the sub thousands category (before this thread showed up), just to have the opportunity to do it. I guess I can be blamed for inflating the price as well...
Alright then.
Let's just say I goofed and shouldn't have posted this in the first place.
My lesson for today.

JP
01-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster

Read my comment on an earlier post.
Sorry if this messed up with your bidding, if you did bid on this.
01-26-2010, 04:52 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
The nerve--violating the secret of the most watched item on Ebay!

Powerball is at $76,000,000. Let's see how much effect that posting has on the jackpot.

I do understand the concept, I just don't think there will be much effect in this case.
Right, a much secret and popular auction.
As I said earlier, and a couple of times, I'll make sure and keep such big secret(s) to myself next time I come across one.

Cheers to all, my apologies to those who bid on that lens, and have a good evening.

JP
01-26-2010, 04:53 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Read my comment on an earlier post.
Sorry if this messed up with your bidding, if you did bid on this.
I wasn't bidding on it -- it's way out of my price range anyway. And I have no ill feelings towards you at all. I'm just clarifying how some other people have a legitimate reason to not want auctions posted in large forums like this.
01-26-2010, 05:06 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I wasn't bidding on it -- it's way out of my price range anyway. And I have no ill feelings towards you at all. I'm just clarifying how some other people have a legitimate reason to not want auctions posted in large forums like this.

Just depends which side of the fence you happen to be on. If I were the seller (notice that lens just happened to get its only review in this forum database yesterday) I would love it. As the current high bidder, I hate it. But if not for this thread I would never have seen it in time.

Thank you Jacques! If I am rash enough to follow through and own it tomorrow night, you are welcome to use it anytime you happen to vacation here at the beach! Goes for you too Wally when you get your camera fixed.

Last edited by imtheguy; 01-26-2010 at 05:15 PM.
01-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Ten dollars on 3700!
01-26-2010, 05:55 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Ten dollars on 3700!
I certainly believe in > 3000 since we just broke $2300 with a full day to go. I'm thinking $3400 but am prepared to be dissapointed in the ever spiraling prices of the good stuff.