Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2010, 01:31 PM   #61
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
(Actually, the Vivitar is sort of a cool camera...fully mechanical with DOF preview, 1/2000s shutter, self-timer, and multi-exposure...)
I believe the OEM for Vivitar K-Mount SLRs is Cosina. Cosina has their own branded K-Mount SLR, the CS-1, which Cosina also markets as the Voigtlander VSL43. You can also find this body marketed as the Promaster 2500PK Super, which you can see has what appears to be the same 50mm f/1.7 lens. It wouldn't surprise me if this is a Cosina lens.

07-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #62
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nater Quote
...It wouldn't surprise me if this is a Cosina lens.
I was wondering the same thing except that Cosina is made in Japan. This is a Korean product.

Steve
07-22-2010, 02:33 PM   #63
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was wondering the same thing except that Cosina is made in Japan. This is a Korean product.
Hmm, I just skimmed through this thread, and sure Horusbennu is a Korean company (from what I can tell they look like a rebrander just like Promaster is in the states), but the ebay auctions I saw didn't mention where the lens was made... someone in this thread said it was made in China - was that correct, or in error?

I have the Promaster 50mm f/1.7 (which I believe is a Cosina lens) and it's identical short of the writing on the front and the focus grip style... so I'd guess either this lens is a Cosina lens, or it's a blatant copy.
07-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #64

Horusbennu 50mm f1.7 K mount for Pentax

I am sure it is made in China with rebranded name Horusbennu , Horusbennu is the korean rebrand name, where the Real Manufacturer is located in China , this Lens also selling under different brand likes : Phonix etc..
I know this by searching the net extensively before buy it , it printed "made in China at it body tooo.......
I have reasembly the Lens onece it arrived due to some dust inside the Lens , it is very very simple to reasembly it , what you need is an tiny cross head screw driver and a " plastic bottle cover with diameter slightly smaller than the filter tread and short length of double side tape" ! if you want to know how , can post here to ask !
The body is better than Auto Sears Lens because it is 100% made with metal !
The focusing ring is a bit tight compare to Pentax smc lense, the aparture is as good ( not too tight nor too loosy feeling )as Pentax smc !
The front Lens is somewhat over coated causing less transperacy compare to Pentax smc, but it is better in term of flare /glare resistance ability!
It come with K mount which made it easier to mount to Latest Pentax DSLR!
I have tested the focusing accuracy using my new KX , it need - 50 adjustment to be in focus! before adjustment it is front focus a bit!
If you want to know how to adjust the focus in KX , post here to ask !
I would 100% say or recomand any Pentax user to buy this Lense , weather
simply want to test or comparision , the reason is simply : First : is it cheap in price that woun't hurt your pocket ! second : it is full metal body , solid feeling and small size ! Third : It is New, you can't get a Brand new Pentax smc f1.7 now aday , could you ? forth : can resell easily ! if you find it not up to you expectation , sell it to otherspentaxian to test run, sound good isn't it ?
Thrust me ! I been through all stage of the above mention , i bought it , reasenbly it , tested it , got the output photo in my HDD and finally sold it with slightly lower price ! I must say that this is the rason why i takes photography as my hobby . the reasons are very very obvious !

07-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #65

Yes. This Lens is made in China.
As the saying goes "You get what you pay for" is true but once in a while there's exceptions and I believe this lens is one of them.
I'm not claiming here that this lens is superior to other lense but for the money its an excellent buy. As I stated earlier in this thread, its money well spend. It does what it's designed to do and all mettal body is a bonus + I just love manual lenses to.

Anyway. Took a some pics of Sunrise on the way home this morning (my last pic update).
I'm a beginner in Photography so I'm still experimenting.

Pic from yesterday

07-25-2010, 09:01 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by realguard Quote
Horusbennu 50mm f1.7 K mount for Pentax
Great review! You should add this to the Lens Review Database here!

QuoteOriginally posted by fiveseven Quote
Few more test shots early this morning. Drive from work, Sunrise.
Yes, that looks like Sunrise Blvd between Folsom Blvd and Jackson Rd, or maybe out towards White Rock, somewhere in that general vicinity. The old Valley hasn't been completely paved yet -- but that's coming. The bad light filtered through the bad air discourages me from shooting, flattens out anything not immediately close. Or maybe I just need to use CPLs more. And be outside at twilight.
07-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #67

Your pretty close, it's by Sac/Amador county line, of Ione Michigan Bar rd.
07-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #68
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fiveseven Quote
Your pretty close, it's by Sac/Amador county line, of Ione Michigan Bar rd.
Yeah, close to White Rock. I'm a bit further uphill in Amador Co, but I drive in that vicinity to get to Folsom for major shopping. Sometimes I'd like to be sitting atop a slow vehicle, shooting all the surroundings, mountains to foothills to valley floor, sub-alpine forest to sea-level prairie. Sometimes I want to close all my orifices and ignore those surroundings completely. That depends on the temperature and the Air Quality Index.

But back to the lens. Your first two twilight shots show nice rendering. The lens is a classic Tessar? I'll have to try my counterparts (Industar 50/3.5, CZJ and Meyer Domiplan 50/2.8) down in the Valley, see if they deliver similarly. Cheers.

07-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #69

Hey, that's pretty cool, I work in Amador county. I might take some good shots when it's all green and pretty. Last night on the way to work was full moon and I would loved to take few pics but had to be at work on time.
Anyway, my last few shoots (promise just a few minutes ago......... Cropped, so not a true size.

Orange Dragonfly.

07-25-2010, 04:56 PM   #70
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
...The lens is a classic Tessar? I'll have to try my counterparts (Industar 50/3.5, CZJ and Meyer Domiplan 50/2.8) down in the Valley, see if they deliver similarly. Cheers.

I saw the comment regarding the H/B being a Tessar. I have my doubts since fast aperture and Tessar don't go together.

In any case, I agree that the owners of this lens should put their reviews along with known lens data in the 3rd party lens review database. It also helps if one of you can take a photo of the lens to include with the review.

Steve
04-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #71
Veteran Member

Hate to awaken a sleeping thread like this, but I just gotta post something:

From my local shop:

with Vivitar/HorusBennu/Phenix/etc/etc they'd be perfect siblings..

Last edited by minahasa; 04-23-2011 at 09:24 AM.
05-13-2011, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #72

That Horusbennu and its Vivitar/Phoenix siblings exist at all shows (again) how there is a market for affordable prime lenses for Pentax mounts. This is an f/1.7, which is a clear sign (even more than the K-mount, really) that they made it to go after Pentaxians.

I know that the DA* 55mm f/1.4 and the FA 50mm f/1.4 are great prime lenses. But they also cost over $350 US. I'm baffled that Pentax doesn't make an affordable 50mm lens. If I want an f/1.7 I either buy this gaudy lens from a garage shop in Korea or I take my chances on 20-year-old Pentax glass on eBay? C'mon, Pentax! You don't even have to design a new lens, just dust off the machines you used in the 1990s and make more f/1.7's!