Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Vivitar lens with PK-A/R tag need help to use it with K-7

I have Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 lens that has a PK-A/R tag, I read that some pins need to be removed in order these lens to work with Pentax D-SLR. I am currently using this lens on ME_Super and Chinon CM-5 without any glitches. I am posting links to images of that lens.

Side view:

http://tinypic.com/r/iyd1zb/6
Top View:

http://tinypic.com/r/2zqg615/6
Mount View:

http://tinypic.com/r/2j2uydu/6

Thanking You in advance.

01-27-2010, 01:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The only picture that matters, the mount view, is very unclear. However, here is a webpage with good information about the "Ricoh Pin" in case your lens has it:

theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix
01-27-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaitanya Quote
I have Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 lens that has a PK-A/R tag, I read that some pins need to be removed in order these lens to work with Pentax D-SLR. I am currently using this lens on ME_Super and Chinon CM-5 without any glitches. I am posting links to images of that lens.

Side view:

Vivitar Pictures, Vivitar Images, Vivitar Photos, Vivitar Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Top View:

Vivitar Pictures, Vivitar Images, Vivitar Photos, Vivitar Videos - Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting
Mount View:

Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Thanking You in advance.
You may have the similar lens that I have. The PK-A/R lens works for both Pentax K mount with A and it also works on Ricoh xr camera that have 'P' pin for Ricoh programmed mode. The lens that you have is a hybrid lens that can work on Av and programmed mode in both Pentax and Ricoh bodies.

Many people suggest to remove the pin. I on the other hand will suggest to check first if the Ricoh pin is of ball-head type and that it is retractable. If the pin is indeed retractable and of ball head type (check picture below for reference), you have much less of a risk in jamming your lens into the AF connector on a digital Pentax body. If you intend to use the lens on a Pentax MF film camera, there is no worry at all as the AF connector is absent in the Manual focus film camera as in Pentax SuperProgram or Pentax MX/ME/K1000 etc.

Ricoh p-pin that is retractable and of ball head type

You can read more on my blogs on
I have 2 primes and 2 zooms that have these Ricoh p pins and I did not remove the pin in any of them as I also have a Ricoh xr-p film camera to rightly use the Rioch p pin. I have used the 2 primes on my K-x, K20D and K10D cameras with no issue.

As I see it, there is some risk present with the potential in jamming the pin into the AF connector on body, you have to make the call. But usually, the quick and effective remedy is to careful wiggle while switching AF<->MF switch on body to push the pin back into the lens while wiggling your lens from the mount.

summaries
  • PK-A/R ---> hybrid lens with A setting for Pentax and P (programmed) mode in Ricoh. Those are the gem in Hin's LBA lens collection.
  • R/K ---> Ricoh K mount. These may have the P pin, look at aperture ring in the A position, a letter P instead of A will indicate a Ricoh K mount with P pin
  • if P pin is i) ball head ii) retractable --> should be safe, but some minor risk is involved in jamming
  • if P pin is i) non-retractable ii) looks like a stick instead of a ball head --> likely to jam, UNSAFE for AF digital and film bodies
  • Ricoh P pin only jams in AF bodies, they won't jam on MF bodies
  • Removing P pin is one option
  • Quick and effective remedy to jamming: wiggle lens gently while switching the AF/MF switch to push the pin back

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-27-2010 at 10:43 AM.
01-27-2010, 04:25 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just put it on the camera and when it gets stuck, just turn real hard. The pin will break before your camera body 99.9% of the time.

01-27-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
Just put it on the camera and when it gets stuck, just turn real hard. The pin will break before your camera body 99.9% of the time.
Well this sounds like a horrible idea.
01-27-2010, 09:46 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
You're out of luck if the roll of the dice gives you that 0.01% instead of the 99.9%.
01-27-2010, 10:24 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick reply, I gave my lens to my camera repair shop. Along with the printout of the page of how to remove the Ricoh pin. The lens shall be ready in 2 days.

01-27-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Well this sounds like a horrible idea.
Gotta be honest, that's what happened the first time I mounted a ricoh-pinned lens on my old K100D. The stainless steel mount is much stronger than a little whatever-metal pin. The pin sheared off, fell to the ground (not inside the camera), and broke nothing on the camera. Though it did leave a very, very, very tiny nick on the mounting plate from the torsion.
01-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Chaitanya Quote
Thanks for the quick reply, I gave my lens to my camera repair shop. Along with the printout of the page of how to remove the Ricoh pin. The lens shall be ready in 2 days.
After all the writing that I have, you send it in for a unnecessary repair (my subjective opinion, of course). I am one of the minority who has the least fear on the Ricoh pin. The lens that you have does indeed have two similar pins. The one that goes with the electrical connectors in a group are the Pentax A pin and the Ricoh P pin is farther away from the group. I hope your repair shop won't 't mistaken the A pin as the P pin. If I were you, I will call them to make sure they know which pin is the Ricoh pin to remove. And confirm with them NOT to remove the Pentax A pin.

Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-27-2010 at 10:52 AM.
01-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
I sent it to repair shop as the lens was dirty from a lot dirt that had entered after my last field visit , apart from that I had to give my Me-Super for repairing the as shutter was jammed due to moisture. The repair shop is owned a family friend and he knows what to do with that pin. Better a professional remove that pin rather than damaging it trying to do it myself.
01-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I did this even after reading the web page warning against it. The pin is really small and easy to miss if you're not looking for it.

I was able to fit a thin metal shim into the pin area at the mount, but didn't seem to release the lens. I gave up after a while and set the camera aside for a few days. When I tried again to release the lens I turned much harder and it came off pretty quick. Boy, was I happy!
01-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #12

I have the same lens, I use it on my K-x without any problems, the pin doesn't get stuck at all.