Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2010, 06:51 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JnM_in_VT Quote
I got my new Tammie today as expected! Gotta love it when UPS runs on time!

Now then, for my formal informal completely non-scientific comparison and opinion...
I took couple of quick comparison shots of my lampshade. Handheld. Yeah, I know... did I mention completely non-scientific? These are center crops, 100%.

The 1st on the left was taken with my shiny new Tamron 17-50

The 2nd on the right was taken with the stock 18-55

Both were at ISO 200, f/8.0, 1/60 @ 50mm with my K20d
could you also shoot these 2 lenses at 18mm, 24mm, 28mm,35mm and 40mm at f4 and f5.6 respectively as well ?

the kitlens does indeed look soft and low contrast at 50mm.

01-28-2010, 07:18 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
could you also shoot these 2 lenses at 18mm, 24mm, 28mm,35mm and 40mm at f4 and f5.6 respectively as well ?

the kitlens does indeed look soft and low contrast at 50mm.
I'd be happy to. I'll set up a more decent test tomorrow evening. Who knows... I may even print out a proper chart, set up actual lighting for it, and use a remote.
01-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
audiobomber: I don't know that that's such a great idea considering the 17-50's reputation for backfocus/frontfocus problems.
A lens can bf/ff on one body and focus perfectly on another. These are the days where Quality Control is no longer a department; rather, QC is done, for companies, by the purchasers of goods, knowingly or not.

Anyway, I still agree with Pentaxor that a used Tammy is a great idea--here is why. The Tammy 17-50mm only became available in Pentax mount a little less than 2 years ago and, being a Tamron lens, it carries the distinction of a 6-Year warranty. To claim a warranty from Tamron. one only need supply a copy of the original receipt--Tamron is good with this.

So, when you buy, get the receipt, along with the lens, and you'll have at least 4 years left with the warranty, should you need it. Not to mention the $$ you will save on the purchase.
01-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
JnM_in_VT: The 1st on the left was taken with my shiny new Tamron 17-50

The 2nd on the right was taken with the stock 18-55

Both were at ISO 200, f/8.0, 1/60 @ 50mm with my K20d
I really appreciate you taking time here to do this for us--thank you. But do you really think 50mm is a fair exhibit? The Tammy costs 8 times more and the kit is known for being particularly weak @ 50mm--right? We are also pixel peeping--correct?

If I were the OP, the owner of this thread, the one seeking advice on putting up some serious cash, I do not see how I could use these 2 %100 crops for anything significant. My 2 cents worth.

01-28-2010, 11:25 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I bet when the user actually goes out and shoots with his new 17-50, he will be so pleased with it, the kit lens will be retired back into its box for a long long hibernation...until sold to someone else. At least that is what happened to mine. After acquiring my Tamron 17-50 a little over a year ago, it quickly became my "go to" zoom for normal everyday use. Fantastic lens and priced right.

Jason
01-28-2010, 11:27 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
...These are the days where Quality Control is no longer a department; rather, QC is done, for companies, by the purchasers of goods, knowingly or not...
Ha! Ha!

I once mentioned lax QA to an officer at a software company where I worked. His response was that we "ripened our fruit in the customer's basket"...

Steve
01-28-2010, 11:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

being a Tamron lens, it carries the distinction of a 6-Year warranty. To claim a warranty from Tamron. one only need supply a copy of the original receipt--Tamron is good with this.
that is exactly one of the strongest reasons why it is highly advisable or preferable compared to the SDM zooms. the duration of the warranty gives the customer a sense of security and added confidence in the product in the event of failure. the only thing that is needed is acquiring a good copy during the initial phase of purchase which I believe won't take more than 3 months to do, and use it for a longer period of time.

what is a major concern for the Pentax is it's uncertain status to it's SDM's reliability.
01-29-2010, 12:06 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
stevebrot: I once mentioned lax QA to an officer at a software company where I worked. His response was that we "ripened our fruit in the customer's basket"...

Steve
Now that is a classic--Bravo, Bravo!!!

QuoteQuote:
Jasvox I bet when the user actually goes out and shoots with his new 17-50, he will be so pleased with it, the kit lens will be retired back into its box for a long long hibernation...until sold to someone else. At least that is what happened to mine. After acquiring my Tamron 17-50 a little over a year ago, it quickly became my "go to" zoom for normal everyday use. Fantastic lens and priced right.

Jason
Jason, I bought the Tamron 17-50mm with my purchase of the K20d about 2 years ago--K20, body only. But I had saved for some time and was financially sound with the deal. I read and read and was convinced this was what I wanted.

This is not the case for the OP though. What might be worth it to you and I, may not even be close to being worth it to the OP.

QuoteQuote:
Pentaxor: hat is exactly one of the strongest reasons why it is highly advisable or preferable compared to the SDM zooms. the duration of the warranty gives the customer a sense of security and added confidence in the product in the event of failure. the only thing that is needed is acquiring a good copy during the initial phase of purchase which I believe won't take more than 3 months to do, and use it for a longer period of time.

what is a major concern for the Pentax is it's uncertain status to it's SDM's reliability.
I wholeheartedly agree--I have thousands of miles on my legs traversing the Mts of the east coast, throughout all 4 seasons. I seriously considered the Da 16-50mm, especially for the weather sealing. But, in the end, the Tamron's great reviews, the owners' reviews too, and particularly that 6-year warranty--it became a clear, easy choice for me.

01-29-2010, 04:16 AM   #24
Inactive Account

I really appreciate you taking time here to do this for us--thank you. But do you really think 50mm is a fair exhibit? The Tammy costs 8 times more and the kit is known for being particularly weak @ 50mm--right? We are also pixel peeping--correct?

If I were the OP, the owner of this thread, the one seeking advice on putting up some serious cash, I do not see how I could use these 2 %100 crops for anything significant. My 2 cents worth.
No problem! As I stated... I made a completely non-scientific spur of the moment comparison. And yes, we are pixel peeping here... 100% magnification unaltered crops. Is it a useful comparison? Ehhh... dunno... that's for the reader to decide. I've already made my choice; I bought the lens!

I'll put up a more useful test later this evening.
01-29-2010, 08:59 AM   #25
Site Supporter

We spend a lot of time on these threads (and other photography forums) debating these fine points of lenses. Every "club" thread, including the kit club, is full of gorgeous work done with whatever lens is featured. No doubt the OP will be happy with the Tamron, but I still feel that we (read I) sometimes jump to getting the next "better" thing without fully defining why.
01-29-2010, 01:43 PM   #26

Original Poster
Again, thanks everyone for your great feedback, and specially to JnM_in_VT for his field test. I'm eager to see the ones for tomorrow at different focals and stops.

in my honest opinion, it is worth the investment. although I suggest that you should look for a used copy for a much cheaper price.
I thought on that, and I spend a couple of weeks looking in ebay (USA, UK, EUROPE) plus in specific photography forums, and I couldn't find anything worth second hand. I could find a couple that were around 50-60$ cheaper, but to be honest just for that I prefer to get it new.

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
We spend a lot of time on these threads (and other photography forums) debating these fine points of lenses. Every "club" thread, including the kit club, is full of gorgeous work done with whatever lens is featured. No doubt the OP will be happy with the Tamron, but I still feel that we (read I) sometimes jump to getting the next "better" thing without fully defining why.
That's the reason why I'm not yet convinced about buying the Tamron. I've had my K10D for two years now. I normaly use manual M42 Takumars (I'm kind of a fan of them), and when I shoot with my AF lenses (the 18-55 kit lens or a Tamron 18-250) I do feel the need for more sharpness and faster f-stops.
I'm still not convinced yet if the Tamron 17-50 will keep up in sharpness with my Taks, and I don't want to spend 400$ to get something better than the kit lens, but still far away from the Taks in terms of quality.

I'm starting to be a big fan of traveling, and I'm looking for an AF lens that will give me the quality I'm looking for in that focal range. Last year my destination was Egypt, and although I really like some of the photos I took, they didn't met my technical quality espectations. Judge for yourself, but I think they are all lacking sharpness and definition. All these photos are taken with the 18-55 kit lens or the Sigma 70-300:

Colors of Egypt

@JnM_in_VT: I'm really looking for those field test, you are being of a great help. I do really appreciate your help.
01-29-2010, 02:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rafalas Quote
Again, thanks everyone for your great feedback, and specially to JnM_in_VT for his field test. I'm eager to see the ones for tomorrow at different focals and stops.

I thought on that, and I spend a couple of weeks looking in ebay (USA, UK, EUROPE) plus in specific photography forums, and I couldn't find anything worth second hand. I could find a couple that were around 50-60$ cheaper, but to be honest just for that I prefer to get it new.

That's the reason why I'm not yet convinced about buying the Tamron. I've had my K10D for two years now. I normaly use manual M42 Takumars (I'm kind of a fan of them), and when I shoot with my AF lenses (the 18-55 kit lens or a Tamron 18-250) I do feel the need for more sharpness and faster f-stops.
I'm still not convinced yet if the Tamron 17-50 will keep up in sharpness with my Taks, and I don't want to spend 400$ to get something better than the kit lens, but still far away from the Taks in terms of quality.

I'm starting to be a big fan of traveling, and I'm looking for an AF lens that will give me the quality I'm looking for in that focal range. Last year my destination was Egypt, and although I really like some of the photos I took, they didn't met my technical quality espectations. Judge for yourself, but I think they are all lacking sharpness and definition. All these photos are taken with the 18-55 kit lens or the Sigma 70-300:

Colors of Egypt

@JnM_in_VT: I'm really looking for those field test, you are being of a great help. I do really appreciate your help.
if you don't mind starting at 28mm, the Tamron 28-75/2.8 would really impress you. I think it is much better than it's wider counterpart.
01-29-2010, 02:57 PM   #28

Original Poster
if you don't mind starting at 28mm, the Tamron 28-75/2.8 would really impress you. I think it is much better than it's wider counterpart.
It's indeed a bit too short. To be honest, 17-50 or 18-55 will be the best.
01-29-2010, 10:40 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Rafalas: If you can afford the Tamron--buy it. I have compared it with my Super & Auto Taks, as well as the M & A 50mm 1.7s--you will not sacrifice anything with the Tamron. It is so sharp I shave with it, wide open, on the trail. Seriously, only under the utmost scrutiny, @ %100 crops, can a slight edge in sharpness be granted to the Pentax primes. This includes my Super Tak 28mm, f 3.5. The Tamron is excellent throughout the focal ranges. Also, I shoot the Tammy from wide open to f22 with success. Here is a shot @ f16, the point where our crop sensor Pentaxes start giving up IQ to diffraction. The lens still looks great.

Your most recent post makes it more clear to me what, precisely, you are looking for. I do not have a 18-55mm to put it along side of, but you certainly can do that on your own if you are willing to do a little leg work. Have you been to our Tammy Club thread? There are many shots with the Tamron in there, and there is an 18-55mm Kit lens thread too--visit and compare for yourself. But, it seems to me, in this most recent post, what you really want compared is not the Tammy to the Kit; rather, you want the Tammy compared with older Pentax primes which are in the Tammy's focal range.

This shot: f16, 2 secs, 50mm, ISO 100:

01-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #30
Inactive Account

Sorry for the delay folks! I've been busy with a few other things that came up unexpectedly and haven't had time to get to the kit vs. Tamron challenge yet. It will happen very soon, perhaps this afternoon if my wrenching activities go as planned. Gotta love old trucks, don't you know...