Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2010, 06:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Pentax DA* 16-50 lens barrel movement(?)

On new years eve I brought my camera to take some pictures (obviously). So I had it staying on my tripod - a Gitzo somewhat which is actually a video-tripod.
So then it happened again: I didn't fasten the tilt-adjustment-screw enough and so the lens (with lens hood attached) crashed against a tripod leg with full force - afterwards the zoom was jammed and the extending tube slightly awry (lens must have been around 28mm). Ok, I pushed it back in and everything is working fine since then but this doesn't let me gain confidence in its build. Granted, it's ~3lb/1.4kg camera so there was some energy in that impact but still it feels too fragile for a lens if its class.

My actual question is: does your 16-50 also have play in its front tube?
Even before it had that accident there was (and still is) some wobbling - whenever I lay the camera down the lens barrel moves by its own weight. This leaves me a little bit paranoid so I try not even to rest the camera laying n the lens (it's top-theavy and I have the battery grip on so it won't just stay on the bottom).

01-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The movement of the lens barrell is normal. I've checked this with my retailer and also with other copies of the lens.
01-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #3
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never had any creep or movement on my copy. I get some on my 60-250, but it weighs a ton.....
01-28-2010, 04:53 AM   #4

I dropped my Gx20 with 16-50mm from waist height a year ago.
The hood hit the floor first, and cracked a little, but all is good.

The lens got a bit of wobbling thingy going on if i move it.
No lens creep.

So far all good until today.
I'm more worried about SDM failure.

01-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Surprisingly, my SDM is also working fine. To compensate for that the top left corner is soft (not of the lens).

Still I find there is too much movement in that constuction - even the 18-55 has less play.
Compared to K and M lenses this lens' build is crap.
Unfortunately they're no full metal lenses like back then anymore (turns away melancholicly).
02-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't worry

I don't think you should worry. The movement of the barrell has to do with the SDM-construction. It's the outter barrell (cover) that is moving, not the optics inside.
02-03-2010, 10:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What does the barrel have to do with the lens having a SDM?

Sure the barrel is only a cover but without it the glass inside wouldn't be inside but laying on the ground instead.

I just discovered it's actually a two step wobble: there's some play in the outer and in the inner extending part.
Of course the construction needs some play to correct for temperature caused expansion but there would be high temperatures needed to make it fit precisely.

So ok, this might just be the lens tolerances but still I find it too wobbly.
[case closed...I think]

02-03-2010, 11:23 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lens tubus wobbling is common on AF lenses....
02-05-2010, 06:48 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I apologize for asking about a different lens, but should I also experience this wobble in the FA 31mm? I just took my brand new copy out of the box last night, and noticed that it rattles when you tilt the camera. I'm just a bit concerned that my $70 kit lens doesn't do this, but the $1K holy grail does. Someone please reassure me that this is normal or let me know that it isn't. Thanks!

Last edited by Glarus; 02-05-2010 at 08:28 PM.