Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2007, 11:48 AM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax 24-90 thoughts?

I know a place where I can get a brand new 24-90 (I assume it's been discontinued) and for me that can be a awesome walk around lens, but what are peoples thoughts about it. I only wish someone would come out with a 24-90 but at F2.8, I don't imagine that would be that hard on a cropped sensor, but one can dream

06-26-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think they're still widely available. I saw a couple at Fry's electronics, and they're also selling on the Outpost.com website:
FRYS.com*|*Pentax

They seem to charge quite a bit for this lens though. I don't have the lens myself, but from what I've read, it's supposed to be a pretty amazing zoom lens.
06-27-2007, 04:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

24-90 very useful lens

QuoteOriginally posted by Avantphoto Quote
I know a place where I can get a brand new 24-90 (I assume it's been discontinued) and for me that can be a awesome walk around lens, but what are peoples thoughts about it. I only wish someone would come out with a 24-90 but at F2.8, I don't imagine that would be that hard on a cropped sensor, but one can dream
It's extremely good - said to be slightly less sharp at the long end but I've never found that a problem. If I had to go on a trip with one lens and one only, this would be the one. At any given FL you will find a prime that will be slightly better but the 24-90 is as good as any zoom IMHO, and the range covers an awful lot of situations. I find the limitation at the wide end more of a nuisance than at the long end, so my two-lens solution would be also to pack the Zenitar or the DA21. The slightly sloppy-seeming build is a non-issue as far as I am concerned. The inner barrel does seem quite loose.

Now, if you already have a 16-45, say, you have a dilemma. You might do better to get a longer lens than the 24-90. On the other hand some overlaps reduces lens-changing.

Anyway I would decide entirely according to the usefulness or otherwise of the 24-90 range for your particular needs. In terms of performance you need have no worries about it.

Hope that helps.

Tim
07-05-2007, 09:40 PM   #4

I own this lens and have used it a lot initially. Excellent images, but cheap looking (and feel) - too much plastic. But, it does exhibit excellent resolution and contrast. For a 'short' zoom, I prefer the 18-125 or 24-135 Sigma lenses (both discontinued now). The 18-125 is smaller and lighter while the 24-135 is faster (f2.8 on the wide side). Focus is fine with all three, but most of my hikes/walks involve uncooperative subjects, so I find the extra length helpful in reducing post processing cropping (I prefer to take pictures than to 'fix' them on my computer - must be a trait from my Kodachrome slide days).

Wayne

07-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Good lens because of the aspherical front element. Becomes a 35-135 equivalent in 35mm format with the crop factor, a useful focal length range. However build quality could be better and prices for it are ridiculous.
11-05-2008, 04:39 AM   #6

I've had this lens for five years and it's probably my most popular zoom. My other zooms are for special occasions.