Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Very nice! However, when I click on it, I actually get a smaller shot.

At 2000mm, aren't you getting close to filling the entire frame (meaning that it won't actually fit in the frame)?
Wow, that is odd. I just checked it again, and it gets larger when I click. Could you be having a browser issue? Anyone else notice that?

You are right about it not fitting in the frame. Here is what a single shot looks like. It is taken on a different night with a full moon. the interesting thing is that full moon is the worst time for moon shots because the direct sunlight washes out the detail and contrast. You might think you are out of focus, but it is just the lack of contrast and shadows on the surface.

01-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I'll kick in: I got this with the 1000mm f/8 & 2x-L TC back in November. I did do a bit of pp on it, btw. So much for zooming with your feet ;~)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
01-29-2010, 04:47 PM   #18
Pentaxian

One from last night (Leitz 400/6.8 Telyt used wide open with Kenko Teleplus 3x teleconverter for a total focal length of 1200mm):

Cheers!

Abbazz
01-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Some great shots. Wish it was not se freaking cold here in New England or I would be tempted to go out and shoot the moon myself after seeing this thread

01-31-2010, 06:42 AM   #20
Inactive Account

I can second the coldness. It was 7 degrees yesterday morn.
01-31-2010, 08:00 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Forgive my ignorance, folks, as I've never considered this sort of long long distance photography. But how do these very long SLR lens combinations compare to buying a nicer hobby telescope with a camera mount and shooting with that?

And the follow on, can a hobby telescope be used to shoot comparable long shots of static subjects on earth?

Thank you and sorry if this is off topic, but it seems there are folks watching this thread who might know.

germar
01-31-2010, 08:29 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by germar Quote
Forgive my ignorance, folks, as I've never considered this sort of long long distance photography. But how do these very long SLR lens combinations compare to buying a nicer hobby telescope with a camera mount and shooting with that?

And the follow on, can a hobby telescope be used to shoot comparable long shots of static subjects on earth?

Thank you and sorry if this is off topic, but it seems there are folks watching this thread who might know.

germar
Just so you'll know you're not being ignored, My answer to your question is, "I have no idea." I hope someone else does.

01-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #23
Inactive Account

...how do these very long SLR lens combinations compare to buying a nicer hobby telescope with a camera mount and shooting with that?

I have an Orion 127 Mak telescope that I use with my K-x. Here's a pic...

Long lenses work well, but when it comes to astrophotography, the bigger the aperture, the better. Even if a person puts teleconverters on a lens to increase the focal length, they can't make the lens larger. And a big aperture means more detail. The scope above has a 5" mirror (a mid-small size, when it comes to astronomy.) When the sky is calm and the seeing is exceptional, I can see mountain ranges on the moon, and the cloud bands of Jupiter.

For terrestrial use, telescopes don’t fare so well. Telescopes generally aren’t concerned with the orientation of the image. Most telescopes will invert or flip the image that you see. And if you’re shooting wildlife, then a real lens providing autofocus is an advantage. That said, using spotting scopes with a camera is popular for wildlife. Here’s my compact camera on my spotting scope…
01-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #24
Veteran Member

germar
I'v not tried an astronomical telescope on ground based subjects but I know some people who have done so with good results. There are some example shots in the https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/71775-mirror-lens-club.html, in particular some superb examples from Peter Zack spring to mind- https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/738752-post91.html