Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Inactive Account

FA50mm broken down in two pieces!

Hi folks, I need some help here as I've never seen or heard of anything like this. Yesterday evening my FA50mm broke down in two. I noticed that when focusing at distances longer than a couple of meters it was behaving strangely; instead of the lens barrel travelling all to way to focus it would only have a short twitch then lock, but not in focus. So I took a closer look at it and noticed that the lens was separating into two parts; I was able to separate them completely by pulling very gently from the two ends. It's hard to describe in words, but it is very clear in the photos.

Nothing seems broken; I see there is a thread on the inside of the part with the mount, by I can't seem to figure out where what it could thread on and how could have that become un-threaded?

There is a small chance that it was thrown on the floor by my 2.5 years old, I can't be sure, but there is no sign of any physical contact of such nature, nothing looks broken.

Has anyone seen anything like this? I will probably end up by sending it to Pentax for service, but that means sending it to Germany as there is no Pentax service where I live, so before I do that I may try to fix it myself if it's not too complicated, so I thought maybe someone on this forum is able to help.

That was my favourite lens (well, together with the lens that took the pictures of the disaster, the DA35..)

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dan

Pics attached.

Attached Images

01-28-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe this is the 2nd time that it has happened to the FA50/1.4. same incident of separation or much worse. that lens broke off completely during use, if I can remember correctly.
01-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
pentaxor, did that happen to you? was it repair-able? do you remember what caused it?
01-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dnmtsn` Quote
pentaxor, did that happen to you? was it repair-able? do you remember what caused it?
No, it wasn't mine, but a forum member posted his problem some months ago. with pictures as well. what happened is that the lens parts just broke off on it's own, something like yours, except his lens fell-off all of a sudden. I'm not sure though if his copy was years old or was brand new.

if your copy is brand new, had you contacted Pentax regarding what happened? I suggest that you have your copy replaced if it's still under warranty.

01-28-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I believe this is the 2nd time that it has happened to the FA50/1.4. same incident of separation or much worse. that lens broke off completely during use, if I can remember correctly.
Yes, there was a recent thread about a very similar brake down of an FA 50 - I remember. It was seemingly not an easy thing to repair, so I would try everything to get it replaced by Pentax, if possible. Seems to be a design flaw to me, though my own copy is fine.

Ben
01-28-2010, 04:15 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
unfortunately the lens is not new... I've had it for about 4 years now, so no chances for replacement I guess.
01-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
Inactive Account

I think this is the other thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/76666-%5Bwtf%5...-my-hands.html

No idea about anything else sorry. Good luck!
01-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
saien, thanks a lot, I was just about to start searching myself when you posted the link! this is why it is worth to be a pentaxian!

01-29-2010, 12:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Good luck with the repair dnmtsn,
I hope it isn't the same part gone on the other post.
01-29-2010, 01:33 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax primes like this is not difficult to repair, even if completely disassembled. The problem is that Pentax might not have the specific metal contact brush anymore (though some regional offices might have some hiding somewhere). You can however, try to look for a similar sized one and custom fit it.
01-29-2010, 06:19 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
maybe the admin can merge this thread with this one

Page Not Found - PentaxForums.com[wtf]-my-fa-50mm-f-1-4-just-fell-apart-my-hands-2.html

it has more information on the subject