Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4
Need genuine M42 K mount adaptor

Hello,

I just ordered a navy K-x that I will be picking up soon. One of the reasons I went with Pentax is that I've recently discovered the joy of finding lenses at my local thrift store. I've picked up a Yashinon dx 50/1.4, a Komine-made Vivitar 135/2.8, and a Pentax smc-m 200/4.

For the first 2 lenses, I will need a M42 adaptor. The Pentax brand are OOS at the Pentax web store, and the ones I've seen on Ebay are going for close to $50.

Anyone know another source?

Thanks!

01-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,653
I don't have a "genuine" Pentax adapter. I have some generic adapter. But it works fine. It mounts well, includes the tool to install/remove it, and allows my M42 lenses to focus to infinity. The only difference that I can see is that I paid $10 for it.

So what's wrong with that?

Amazon.com: Fotodiox M42 Lens - Pentax K/PK Mount Camera Adapter for Pentax K-7, K2000D, K200D, K20D, K10D Super, K10D, K110D, K100D, *ist, D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2, Samsung GX-20, GX-10: Camera & Photo
01-28-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,903
I want to find an inexpensive one so I can buy several and keep one each on the lens rather than changing it on the camera. Anybody can recommend one and the source? Thanks...
01-28-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,653
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I want to find an inexpensive one so I can buy several and keep one each on the lens rather than changing it on the camera. Anybody can recommend one and the source? Thanks...
you can't do that. The adapter clips into place using an adapter-mounted spring clip. The only way to retract this spring clip is with the included tool, and the only way to use the tool (or even reach the spring clip) is to remove the lens. The K-mount release button doesn't even do anything, I don't use it to remove the adapter. There's no way around it if you want to be able to focus to infinity, you need a flush-mounted adapter, and those can't use the camera's locking pin to stay in place.

01-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian
aleonx3's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Brampton, Ontario
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,903
I agree, I am still looking.. I remember someone posted some nice m42 lens with an adapter on each one of them... apparently there could be something like that out there.
01-28-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,653
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I agree, I am still looking.. I remember someone posted some nice m42 lens with an adapter on each one of them... apparently there could be something like that out there.
There are two types of adapters. The flush-mount ones (which allow focus to infinity) and the flanged ones (which do not). The flanged ones use the K-mount locking pin to lock into place, because the flange goes right over that pin. So those can be left on the lens. But at the loss of infinity focusing.
01-28-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bay Village, Ohio USA
Posts: 1,047
Spring clip isn't necessary

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
you can't do that. The adapter clips into place using an adapter-mounted spring clip. The only way to retract this spring clip is with the included tool, and the only way to use the tool (or even reach the spring clip) is to remove the lens. The K-mount release button doesn't even do anything, I don't use it to remove the adapter. There's no way around it if you want to be able to focus to infinity, you need a flush-mounted adapter, and those can't use the camera's locking pin to stay in place.
Not true.

I only have one adapter (third party generic one), but then I only have one M42 lens that I use; my 50mm, f/1.4 from my Spotmatic. My adapter is not a genuine Pentax, but it is the type that fits flush inside the camera lens mount and allows infinity focus.

The spring clip fell off of mine, but I have heard of many people who removed them deliberately. Now, the adapter stays on the lens. In use, I use the lens as if it were a k-mount lens. Friction is more than enough to keep the lens in place, so I don't miss the clip at all.

I have even heard of people drilling a small hole in the lens base, to match up to the lens lock pin on the camera. I haven't done that and I've never felt that the lens was in danger of falling off the camera.

Its also less of a PITA to have to screw the adapter onto the lens before mounting, but unscrew the lens from the adapter when removing. Like I said, my 50mm is now effectively a k-mount lens.
01-28-2010, 09:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member
GoremanX's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Georgia, VT
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,653
QuoteOriginally posted by noblepa Quote
The spring clip fell off of mine, but I have heard of many people who removed them deliberately. Now, the adapter stays on the lens. In use, I use the lens as if it were a k-mount lens. Friction is more than enough to keep the lens in place, so I don't miss the clip at all.
Well sure, if you break the adapter, then you can do that I was actually considering doing that myself for my Super Takumar 50mm f1.4. It seems like the adapter holds on more than tight enough with just friction. All I'd need is a dab of threadlocker compound on the threads of the lens. But I'd never recommend that someone purposely break their adapter and put threadlocker on their vintage lens.

01-28-2010, 09:48 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,896
Just keep looking on eBay for a genuine adapter. I got mine a couple of weeks ago for $19.
01-28-2010, 10:48 PM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4
Original Poster
Thank you for all the info! I have heard that an genuaine Pentax adapter is the way to go for ease of use and best results.

I plan to use one on several lenses. I will have to get it off Ebay it looks like.
01-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #11
Damn Brit
Guest




Moved to lens forum
01-29-2010, 11:40 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Just1MoreDave's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Aurora, CO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,876
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
Well sure, if you break the adapter, then you can do that I was actually considering doing that myself for my Super Takumar 50mm f1.4. It seems like the adapter holds on more than tight enough with just friction. All I'd need is a dab of threadlocker compound on the threads of the lens. But I'd never recommend that someone purposely break their adapter and put threadlocker on their vintage lens.
The thread lock is not necessary. Ordinary friction works for me, except for one lens that has a high focus effort. I am just avoiding regreasing that lens.
01-29-2010, 12:07 PM   #13
Veteran Member
fccwpe's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Perris, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 380
I have four M42 lenses each with the "infinity focus" $5 adapters from e-bay (various vendors). I removed the spring and screw with a small jewelers screwdriver. Even though the lens will never "click" into place they are all tight and won't fall off, even a Lentar 400mm that is quite heavy. I have heard stories of people losing their lenses by doing this, but I have had no problems yet.

The only problem I have had is with the spring attached. I could NOT get it off the camera with the supplied tool and had to pry it out with a screwdriver and hope that I had not damaged anything. My advice is to take the spring out of the adapter and make sure the lens is snug when it is attached to the camera. Don't bother with keeping the spring attached and taking your chances with the removal tool.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adaptor, k-mount, lenses, m42, pentax, pentax lens, slr lens, store
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Genuine m42 mount adaptor back in stock wshi Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 21 03-06-2010 07:48 AM
For Sale - Sold: Genuine Pentax Mount Adapter K (M42 to K-mount) zx-m Sold Items 6 01-30-2009 01:22 AM
Genuine m42 Adaptor/ K10d kev.pride Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 11-24-2008 06:16 AM
M42 to K mount adaptor eccs19 Photographic Technique 1 10-07-2008 04:14 PM
M42 to K Mount adaptor pentaxk100d Pentax Film SLR Discussion 5 03-11-2008 06:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top