Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2007, 07:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sears Auto 1:1.4 55mm vs. Nikkor-S Auto 1:1.4 50mm

A Pentax lens didn't win this round...and neither lens was particularly striking. But it was a good test nonetheless.

Check out Match 7 in my Normal Lens Shootout.

06-26-2007, 07:22 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Interesting. I was surprised to see the f/1.2 win. Based on other reports on this lens and also what I've seen of other lenses of this speed, I had assumed that even with a lens of this price compromises would be made in order to achieve that max aperture. But judging by your shots it seems very impressive even wide-open.

Also interested to see a Fujinon 55mm f/1.8 there... I assume that is in m42 mount? I have one from a Fujica but it has no A/M switch and requires the pin to be pressed in order to stop down aperture. I assume you 'hacked' or otherwise defaced yours in order to make it work? anyway I'd be interested to see how it performs.
06-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
Interesting. I was surprised to see the f/1.2 win.
It's the odds-on favorite to win the whole thing. Of course, they are my odds.

Also interested to see a Fujinon 55mm f/1.8 there... I assume that is in m42 mount?
Yes, indeed it is M42 mount. I hacked my adapter - simply glued a brass ring to the base of the adapter so that it pushes in the A/M switch. It is of course a bit of a pain that it doesn't have an A/M switch - maybe it will come into play in the end?
06-26-2007, 07:37 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I never really bothered to test mine - especially not on digital since I'd only be able to shoot wide-open - but for some reason I think it should be pretty good.

06-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I never really bothered to test mine - especially not on digital since I'd only be able to shoot wide-open - but for some reason I think it should be pretty good.
I'm looking through the shots right now...the Fuji is decidedly better than the Nikkor or Sears lens.
06-26-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Here we finally have a surprise!
The problematic tree pictures are clearly showing an advantage for the Nikkor. That is in my shady opinion. Damn it, until now everything went as I had predicted. But I blame the judge.

greetings, and thanks again!
06-26-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonas B Quote
Here we finally have a surprise!
The problematic tree pictures are clearly showing an advantage for the Nikkor. That is in my shady opinion. Damn it, until now everything went as I had predicted. But I blame the judge.

greetings, and thanks again!
Yup, I agree. But they both did pretty poorly - and it isn't a stretch to think that the Sears will lose in the next match. Oh well, I guess the $4 Sears lens isn't a Miracle Lens - just a Miracle $4 Lens.
06-26-2007, 08:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Yup, I agree. But they both did pretty poorly - and it isn't a stretch to think that the Sears will lose in the next match. Oh well, I guess the $4 Sears lens isn't a Miracle Lens - just a Miracle $4 Lens.
But... is it miracles or wonders that usually come for free?

Well, it doesn't matter really. I already predicted the SMC Tak 50/1.4 will make it to the final.:ugh:

Cheers,

06-28-2007, 03:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It is in deed a surprise. The Sears does look sharper in the centre comparing to Nikkor. And funnily, I think Sears has a better bokeh comparing to Nikkor as well!

p.s. I am very curious to find out why Jonas is betting on Tak 50 f1.4 ... Does that mean I should give Tak 85 f1.8 a go which is prevalent on ebays at present ...