Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2010, 12:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sigma 30mm F1.4 - sounding scratchy?

I don't know if maybe this is a Sigma thing, but my lens is starting to sound scratchy.

When the focus ring turns in manual focus mode, you can hear the gears inside turn and the feeling of turning the focus ring would best be described as "somewhat sandy".

Also, when the autofocus turns from lock to lock, there is a distinct high-pitch squeel...

My last Sigma (a 50mm F2.8 Macro manual focus - used) imploded on me. This is my second Sigma lens (also used) and frankly I'm getting quite frustrated with them.

Anyways, please let me know if this is normal... and if not, what can I do to fix it?? (if at all!)

01-29-2010, 12:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

To me it doesn't sound normal
Sigma lenses do have one of the best warranties in the business, and both Gentec and Sigma USA are usually fast and efficient with repairs.
However their warranty isn't usually transferable

My suggestion would be to contact the former owner, and see if they can still send it in on warranty for you. If not you can probably ask any camera store selling Sigma (London Drugs?) if they can send it in. The cost usually isn't much for repairs.
If you get no help elsewhere let me know. I can't make any promises, but I do know some people whom know some people
01-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought that gritty manual focus feel was a fairly common complaint about this lens? I haven't had a chance to use one myself.
01-29-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that's what I'm trying to figure out, although even if it is... my experience with Sigma dictates that if it doesn't sound perfect, it's going to implode.

No warranty on this one and don't think I can get it. (I'm not the original owner). I think I will have to try a local store. But at this point, I'm thinking maybe its better to just save that money for a really nice (albeit expensive) "normal on APS-C" lens...

01-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #5

I second that,
not sure about the sound but it feels like "somewhat sandy",
unlike my limiteds.
01-29-2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So I had some camera people look at my lens and looks like the 'scratchy' is normal. The sound is more or less normal as well (you only hear the whine from lock to lock) so it seems my Sigma is still a good lens

Focusing ring is 'sandy', but it's even and smooth.

That being said, I think my sights are now aimed at the FA 31 Ltd....
01-29-2010, 09:00 PM   #7

i was wondering about my sigma 30mm too, as it also gives grinding sound when i turn manually. maybe we need some lubricant?

01-30-2010, 12:24 AM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by mcjm78 Quote
i was wondering about my sigma 30mm too, as it also gives grinding sound when i turn manually. maybe we need some lubricant?

Step away from the lubricant unless you want to shell out for a new lens.
01-30-2010, 01:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i think I will have a professional look at mine. if I lube it, I think it will be a goner... especially in my own hands!

mine sounds more like 'whirring of plastic gears' when turning the focus ring (not lubricated smooth. more like sandy). That's not a big deal to me b/c the focus ring itself is still smooth (no bumps or jerks in the ring itself). but its when I auto-focus... there's still this squeel...
01-30-2010, 06:13 AM   #10
Inactive Account

My copy has the sandy feel to the focus ring as well. No squeeling here though...

c[_]
01-30-2010, 09:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
would you describe the 'lock to lock' focus sound as high-pitched?
01-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Hi Jonathan

I just checked my copy of Sigma 30 and compared it to my FA50 (for sound comparison).

FA50
Close focus to long focus - loud squeek during focus.
Long focus to close focus - loud squeek during focus.

Sigma 30
Close focus to long focus - medium low squeek during focus (compared to FA50)
Long focus to close focus - medium high squeek during focus (compared to FA50)

My sigma had a significantly higher squeek sound when going long to close then going close to long, however it wasn't nearly as squeeky as my FA50 which was loud going in both directions.

Hope this helps...

c[_]
01-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ah! so it IS normal. or atleast... normal with ours. Too bad it doesn't have HSM.

good to know. I guess my Sigma is a good copy after all

It's too bad they don't make it in HSM. and too bad the QC is off. When you get a good copy, this lens is really good.