Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What else but Sigma 10-20mm and Pentax 12-24mm?

Hi everyone.

I probably came across something similar before (and as usual I forgot where it is) and I did ask a question regarding my replacing of the formerly-owned Sigma 10-20 (also lost the thread).

So, I need a good, relatively fast UWA lens, not a fish-eye lens, which would be around the 10 to 15mm range. I could be a prime or a zoom, as long as it is quality stuff.

Besides the Sigma 10-20 and the DA 12-24 ... anything else with good reviews worth looking into?

Cheers.

JP

01-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Tamron 10-24, of course. There are a number of threads about it posted recently in this forum.
01-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

The Pentax DA15 LTD or the DA14mm seem to be the simple answer. They are very well reviewed for the most part. What do you have against the DA 12-24 Pentax zoom?
01-30-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Tamron 10-24, of course. There are a number of threads about it posted recently in this forum.
Hi Wally,
I checked out a few reviews on the Tammy and there is an almost unanimous agreement that it is rather "soft", especially wide open.
Comparing the Tamron with the DA 12-24 Pentax, always according to reviews, it looks like the DA would be ahead ... ?
Of course, the best way to find out is to ask people who actually own one of these.
What is your take on this?
By the way, I am going to look for those few threads here too.

JP

01-30-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hi Wally,
I checked out a few reviews on the Tammy and there is an almost unanimous agreement that it is rather "soft", especially wide open.
Comparing the Tamron with the DA 12-24 Pentax, always according to reviews, it looks like the DA would be ahead ... ?
Of course, the best way to find out is to ask people who actually own one of these.
What is your take on this?
By the way, I am going to look for those few threads here too.

JP
The Tamron 10-24 is very sharp in the center. There is some considerably softness and distortion but only at the far corners. Stopped down it goes away. If you need edge-to-edge sharpness, you should really go for the Pentax 12-24 and not even the Sigma 10-20. But if you like a wide range and very close macro focusing, with nice center sharpness, Tamron is a great option. I also like their 6 year warranty -- much, much better than Pentax's 1 year.

Also, at least one review I read in the past where they said the Tamron 10-24 was soft was with a pre-production model, and they re-reviewed a current model and found it to be much sharper. I don't know which review this was, but this kind of misinformation spreads really quickly in the time before a lens is released.
01-30-2010, 07:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dunerunner Quote
The Pentax DA15 LTD or the DA14mm seem to be the simple answer. They are very well reviewed for the most part. What do you have against the DA 12-24 Pentax zoom?
Nothing against the DA 12-24 really. But when I check the reviews (yeah ... reviews), seems like the 15Ltd comes first in terms of sharpness, the DA14 is a f2.8 and would work out quite nicely in less than optimal lighting situations and the DA 12-24 would be great for "latitude", i.e.: more focal range.

What I need is a mix of all of the above! :ugh: ... well, can't have it all, can we?

What do I want to use it for? ... typically: shorelines, nature scenes, sunsets ... etc.

I did mention in an earlier thread that I had sold my Sigma 10-20 and that realized that I am missing it now. Too bad for me. Why wouldn't I buy another Sigma? Possibly becuase I want to try something else that would be as good or better.

Am I making sense?

JP
01-30-2010, 10:37 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nothing against the DA 12-24 really. But when I check the reviews (yeah ... reviews), seems like the 15Ltd comes first in terms of sharpness, the DA14 is a f2.8 and would work out quite nicely in less than optimal lighting situations and the DA 12-24 would be great for "latitude", i.e.: more focal range.

What I need is a mix of all of the above! :ugh: ... well, can't have it all, can we?

What do I want to use it for? ... typically: shorelines, nature scenes, sunsets ... etc.

I did mention in an earlier thread that I had sold my Sigma 10-20 and that realized that I am missing it now. Too bad for me. Why wouldn't I buy another Sigma? Possibly becuase I want to try something else that would be as good or better.

Am I making sense?

JP
Yes you make sense JP. as far as sharpness is concerned, the DA15 probably is sharper but that doesn't give it much weight as I think that the DA12-24 would match it, just basing from their MTF duel.

the real advantage of the DA15 IMO would be it's small size.
the DA14 is its added speed and MFD (if you really need it, which I doubt that you do)
the DA12-24 for it's versatility.

I'm not to keen on the DA14's speed just basing from what you intend to use it for. the DA15 might not be flexible given it's fixed focal length and the DA12-24 might be to big for you.

so it comes down to what you are willing to compensate.
01-31-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
Yes you make sense JP. as far as sharpness is concerned, the DA15 probably is sharper but that doesn't give it much weight as I think that the DA12-24 would match it, just basing from their MTF duel.

the real advantage of the DA15 IMO would be it's small size.
the DA14 is its added speed and MFD (if you really need it, which I doubt that you do)
the DA12-24 for it's versatility.

I'm not to keen on the DA14's speed just basing from what you intend to use it for. the DA15 might not be flexible given it's fixed focal length and the DA12-24 might be to big for you.

so it comes down to what you are willing to compensate.
That sums it up: I need something which will include "all of the above", but of course, that's not possible.
I don't mind large lenses; I am used to lug the DA*300 F4 and the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 with two camera bodies. Heavy at times, but that never stopped me from hiking unbeaten trails.
Seems like the DA 12-24 would be the better choice this far.
So, time to look for one at a decent price because I am not going to purchase it new, anyway; prices have gone up way too much for the past several months, especially Pentax glass.

I am just about done with my LBA spree !
To conclude it, I will be in the market for a couple of FA Ltd's. After that, retirement from shopping for lenses for a good while.

Cheers.

JP

01-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That sums it up: I need something which will include "all of the above", but of course, that's not possible.
I don't mind large lenses; I am used to lug the DA*300 F4 and the Tamron 70-200 F2.8 with two camera bodies. Heavy at times, but that never stopped me from hiking unbeaten trails.
Seems like the DA 12-24 would be the better choice this far.
So, time to look for one at a decent price because I am not going to purchase it new, anyway; prices have gone up way too much for the past several months, especially Pentax glass.

I am just about done with my LBA spree !
To conclude it, I will be in the market for a couple of FA Ltd's. After that, retirement from shopping for lenses for a good while.

Cheers.

JP
Nawww, you aren't really done, you're just going into the "denial phase" , I mean have you added a 1.2 yet? BTW, I think the 12-24 SDM aside will be a fun option. I miss my 10-20 as well since my switch but am on the fence which I will get when the time comes.
01-31-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
Nawww, you aren't really done, you're just going into the "denial phase" , I mean have you added a 1.2 yet? BTW, I think the 12-24 SDM aside will be a fun option. I miss my 10-20 as well since my switch but am on the fence which I will get when the time comes.
Guess what: The f1.2 is on its way!
Got a good deal too.
LBA WILL be over once I get this UWA and the limited's ... promised! :ugh:
JP
01-31-2010, 06:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
(Quote edited)
Also, at least one review I read in the past where they said the Tamron 10-24 was soft was with a pre-production model, and they re-reviewed a current model and found it to be much sharper. I don't know which review this was, but this kind of misinformation spreads really quickly in the time before a lens is released.
Should I take into consideration the Photozone review(s)? For what they're worth (the reviews), I'd rather see sample shots from real owners. I see you own one Wally? Really satisfied with it?

JP