Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2010, 05:41 PM   #1

I like my new smcp-a 400mm f/5.6 ...but... questions

So I brought home a new to me 400/5.6 this weekend and slapped it on the K7 for some test photos. First let me say its in excellent shape and I really think I'm going to like it despite running into some limitations I hadn't expected. I hope those with more experience than I can help clear things up. I had naively expected to treat this lens as an otherwise modern lens with MF as the only focusing option.

I had expected that since this is an A lens that I would have the ability to use all of the metering and focus point selections I can use with my other lenses. This does not seem to be the case. I was attempting to change the selected focus point, but this does not seem to be allowed. I was also surprised that I had to manually specify the focal length (perhaps I should not have been according to this: Summary of the K-Mount Evolution, Names, and Features ).

Should I expect other limitations using this lens? In any case I'm happy with the sharp performance and eager to improve my MF technique. I suspect this lens will provide a good opportunity to practice. =]

01-30-2010, 07:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the same lens. Since its manual focus only why would one change the focus points? The lens focal length does have to be entered when using SR, since the lens doesn't report that info. The lens also will not allow use of lens correction on the K-7.

Its a great lens. Pentax lenses with a max aperure of 5.6 don't work properly with all non-Pentax made teleconverters. Have a Phoenix 2x, and a Kenko 1.5. Neither work correctly. All report the wrong max aperture (2.8!). Have a 1.7 Promaster that works properly.

One great thing about the 400 is with a teleconverter, I can dial in the proper focal length for SR image stabilization to work. Love this lens.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #27 in compact camera forum. Enter #28.
01-30-2010, 07:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I don't have the A 400 but I do have the M 400/5.6. If you have not got one yet I would strongly suggest getting a KatzEye or other after market focusing screen for this lens. I found my KatzEye made all the difference in the world focusing with all my MF lenses.

Tom G