Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 03:38 AM   #1

M42 lens adapter to K Bayonet

Hi, I am somewhat a novice but like most have bitten the bug bad! I have just been give 3 x old M42 lenses that were once used with a Praktica MTL 50. I am looking to buy an adapter so that I can use them on my K200D, any suggestions as to the best buy / product.

Rob (Forum Newcomer)

02-01-2010, 04:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This is the one I use.
Amazon.com: Fotodiox M42 Lens - Pentax K/PK Mount Camera Adapter for Pentax K-7, K2000D, K200D, K20D, K10D Super, K10D, K110D, K100D, *ist, D, DL, DL2, DS, DS2, Samsung GX-20, GX-10: Camera & Photo
Works well, allows focusing to infinity, relatively cheap. I actually removed the spring clip that holds it in place and used thread locking compound to keep it on my lens. thereby making my lens a K-mount. Not sure if the same thing is available in your area.
02-01-2010, 04:40 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I always recommend the genuine Pentax adapter. There, I said it...

As for other options:
  • Flanged adapters are the least expensive, but do not allow infinity focus
  • Non-flanged adapters may be extremely difficult to remove from the camera
  • Poor machining and flimsy build are also common
  • Over-rotation when mounted resulting in potential meter bias with non-crippled mounts
I learned the hard way with a non-Pentax adapter from Adorama. On first mount, it took me several hours of fiddling to remove the ring from the camera. Once I got it off, I was surprised to find a fine dusting of metal filings covering the mirror. Apparently these were left over from the machining process and were lodged on the surfaces of the adapter to drift into the mirror box on first use. There was no second mounting attempt. Adorama accepted the return with full refund and even picked up the return postage.

As noted above, the retention spring may be removed. The lens will then be free to rotate off the camera unless the lens barrel is drilled or notched to engage the K-mount retention pin. If removal of the retention spring or drilling your lenses does not appeal to you, some users have had luck modifying the contour of one of the bayonet "ears" to match that of a genuine K-mount. This is supposed to prevent over-rotation in the mount, the presumed root cause of the adapter getting stuck.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-01-2010 at 04:50 PM.
02-03-2010, 03:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've got some of these from SRB Griturn and they work just fine. I've got a genuine Pentax adaptor and there's no real difference that I've found.

M42 lenses on Pentax K

Good company to deal with as well.

02-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
I've got some of these from SRB Griturn and they work just fine. I've got a genuine Pentax adaptor and there's no real difference that I've found.

M42 lenses on Pentax K

That looks identical to the one I have, right down to the spring clip.
02-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
That looks identical to the one I have, right down to the spring clip.

Griturn have their own engineering and anodising shop and it wouldn't surprise me if they were the contractor making adaptors for the big companies.

I can't tell the difference between mine except that the genuine one has Asahi Pentax on it rather than Pentax.
02-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Griturn have their own engineering and anodising shop and it wouldn't surprise me if they were the contractor making adaptors for the big companies.

I can't tell the difference between mine except that the genuine one has Asahi Pentax on it rather than Pentax.
At some point in the last two or three years the engraved "Asahi Pentax" changed to "Pentax" on the OEM adapters sold at the Pentax Webstore - likely consistent with the re-branding of the corporate name and deletion of Asahi from everything else.
02-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
At some point in the last two or three years the engraved "Asahi Pentax" changed to "Pentax" on the OEM adapters sold at the Pentax Webstore - likely consistent with the re-branding of the corporate name and deletion of Asahi from everything else.
That is what I have gather as well. My newest one came directly from Pentax and it has Pentax and Japan engraved on the top and bottom of the same side (lens side).

02-03-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter

M42 lenses on Pentax K

That's interesting. They also offer a special order version for auto aperture lenses that like the A-M switch.
02-16-2010, 02:47 PM   #10

Original Poster
Many Thanks

Many thanks to all of that have replied.....I must say i did purchase a M42 adapter and did experience iron filings issue although i can see this through the view finder does not effect pictures.

on that point how best can i clean this? done dust clean etc whilst it does not effect image is still very annoying looking through viewfinder to see mucky / dusty view.

Regards
Rob