Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cruise lens suggestions

Well, heading on a Caribbean cruise next month and I don't want to weigh myself down with a ton of gear...

I plan of packing:

- K20b body (will probably leave the grip home)
- Tamrom 17-50 f2.8
- DA55-300
- 1.4x Teleconverter
- AF360 flash + diffuser
- W60 waterproof cam for snorkeling outing

I'm tempted to bring my M50 f1.7 but not sure I should bother

Now my big dilema is should I buy the DA 10-17mm before the cruise? I am quite tempted, and can imagine it would come in handy inside the ship. Any opinions on this?

Thanks

Pat

02-01-2010, 09:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Your selection looks good to me. I would have added the da 40mm pancake as it takes up next to no space. I bought the Rokinon 8mm fish eye for $247 shipped to the door at overstock.com. Since I don't use a fish eye very often, an inexpensive manual lens seemed like a good choice. Focus is fast and easy and the build quality and iq is very good.

Last edited by ivoire; 02-02-2010 at 08:13 AM.
02-01-2010, 10:05 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ve2vfd Quote

Now my big dilema is should I buy the DA 10-17mm before the cruise? I am quite tempted, and can imagine it would come in handy inside the ship. Any opinions on this?

Thanks

Pat
I don't know just how necessary anything wider than 17mm is as I haven't been on a cruise ship. (I'll find out though this September) but you are missing something here.
Necessity aside, you have a legitimate excuse to buy a new lens. What more is there to the issue?
02-01-2010, 10:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I'd skip the TC. The chances of you needing anything longer than 300mm are remote, and the chances that using the TC would actually produce better results than simply cropping even more so. I'd assume the 17-50 has you covered for basic indoor use, even more so given you're apparently comfortable with flash. But sure, something wider could be fun.

02-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #5
Forum Member

I would think the wide angle would be of advantage; I've purchased a 10-20 Sigma to use on my K10d & I do use it a lot. There'll be lot's of "architectural" shots on board not to mention entering bays & harbours.
02-01-2010, 12:43 PM   #6

My Cruise

I went on my honeymoon cruise to the Southern Caribbean last year, and I was trying to research just like you were doing.

What you have is good, I had a Sigma 18-50 at the time, and "wide enough" was never an issue for me.

I'd say drop the teleconverter, I had a 50-135, and was able to crop to get closer, and even then I didn't really find it that short.

Keep the grip as insurance your battery won't run out, and that you have a spare SD in the grip too. How many times do you go on cruises?

Do you have a circular polarizer for your Tamron? on those bright sunny beaches, it will make your pictures that much better and make the sky a deep blue.

Do you have a comfortable strap, or comfortable (smaller) bag, maybe a slingbag?

Maybe bring a small point and shoot, for the times you can't bring your DSLR?

And remember this is a vacation not a photography trip, enjoy yourself =)
02-01-2010, 01:59 PM   #7

I went on an Alaskan cruise last Summer to attend a wedding on board. I took the Sigma 10-20 and only took about 10 shots out of 1500. I think I had 6 lenses including the Bigma but as we left from Vancouver, weight was not a problem.

My most used lenses were the Sigma 18-50 2.8 and the DA 55-300. The Tamron 17-50 you have will be fine for most shots on the ship and the 55-300 for more distant shots, passing ships etc. I had a Sigma 530 flash and did use that a bit for some of the wedding and dinner shots.

Shore excursions I had a Case Logic bag that held the camera with either lens attached and the other lens and the grip in the side pockets. That was plenty to carry around and run through the security everytime you got on and off the ship.

I carried a small point and shoot (Panasonic) for those times I did not want to take the SLR. (Dinners)

Remember that you can't use your camera in most of the production numbers in the theater.

02-01-2010, 02:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Bring a fast lens. Always bring a fast lens.

I did a cruise before Pentax time, and the Canon superzoom I had at the time just didn not cut it. There are so many things that I could have done with a fast prime, but couldn't...

By the way, enjoy your cruise!
02-01-2010, 02:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I wouldn't bother with a 10-17mm if you're looking for wide angle, i'd stick with a Sigma 10-20mm unless you need the fish-eye effect.
02-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I'd skip the TC. The chances of you needing anything longer than 300mm are remote, and the chances that using the TC would actually produce better results than simply cropping even more so. I'd assume the 17-50 has you covered for basic indoor use, even more so given you're apparently comfortable with flash. But sure, something wider could be fun.

my 55-300mm and 1.5x tc was slooooooooooooow and hunted like a blind hound dog unless in major Florida sunlight.
02-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #11

I brought my DA 10-17mm on my honeymoon cruise this past year and found it useful. Space is cramped in those ships and since you're gonna be on board for a few days, you will find some time to play with the fisheye. If nothing else, you can use it to easily take self portraits of you and whoever you are with and not have to pay for the cruise ship photos by their pros.

LBA is kicking in, it's a good excuse to get that fisheye.
02-02-2010, 08:21 AM   #12
Veteran Member

All good avice - I would agree with leaving the TC at home. Also agree on the grip (just pack extra batteries / cards in the bag) - then again depending on the size of the card it will probably last a day. I assume you will have laptop or some external HD to dump them daily.

Might want to consider filters as mentioned CP and ND for the deep colors , and slow water effects. Of course this may require a support system some small travel tripod.

I am the worst for packing light on a vacation. I am going to try this time haha well see (at least I am leaving the BIGMA at home for sure ... I think anyway haha).

As for the fisheye I love that lens and it is always on the take list - I like the effect and it can be used as an ultra wide with little distortion if you keep it level and watch your lines. However 17 is probably wide enough , if not you can always pano. So I say if you like the fisheye effect make it so , if not 17mm will suit you fine.

Have a great time - that is on my bucket list never been a cruise.
02-02-2010, 09:34 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the awesome advice!

So the TC is definetly going to stay home. Still undecided on the DA10-17, I do like the fisheye effect but I'm afraid it would probably just be a novelty.

I'm also packing my video camera, Panasonic HDC-SD20 full HD handycam. I just wish I could afford a decent wide angle lens for it... (nothing under a thousand bucks that doesn't butcher the HD quality level)

Dave ... Yes, I will have my netbook which has a card reader to download photos daily... I don't trust my memories to a handful of cards! I want daily backups.

allill ... You make a strond point for the 10-17mm my friend! (ahhh LBA is pulling me in!)

Blue ... The 55-300 is not a great low-light contender on its own, with the TC I only use it in bright sunlight. I'm guessing this lens will only be used for outdoor shots.

Big G ... I'll admit I do like the fish eye effect. The only thing is that I am not sure if it's only a passing novelty for me... time will tell... LBA is doing it's job on me...

bdery ... I'm hoping my 17-50 f2.8 is fast enough, inside the ship I'll probably be using my flash + diffuser. I am thinking of bringing the M50 1.7 anyways just to have a fast 50.

BrianK ... You are confirming what I was suspecting (17-50 + 55-300). I will have my W60 (in a case on my belt at all times) as point and shoot, and plan on using my Lowe Slingshot 100 for the whole trip.

alfdog ... Yes, I do have a polarizer for my Tamron and forgot to mention I would bring it. It also has a step down ring so I can use it on my DA55-300. There is a difference between a vacation and a photo trip???

jibbonpoint ... I'll admit the wide angle tempts me because I've been told it's pretty cramped inside a ship, and some of the ports we'll visit will surely have some achitecture worthy of wide shots.

Marc ... I am indeed comfortable with the flash, but if I were to get the 10-17 should I be concerned with it's coverage? I plan on using it's built in diffuser + a set of diffuser/reflectors I made from thin cutting boards.

Parallax ... You are right, this is the IDEAL excuse for LBA

ivoire ... I have to admit I'm not much of a fan od the 40mm, but if I had extra $$$ lying around I'd be getting the FA31 Ah elusive money, where are thou! I did check out the Rokinon, but here in Canada it's a ripoff.

Thanks folks! Ahhh decisions decisions!

Pat
02-02-2010, 10:42 AM   #14

Pat, it won't hurt to bring the M 50 f1.7, the thing is so small it would be a shame not to have it.
02-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #15
Banned

10-24mm & 28-300mm Tamron are my travel pair

Cover a 30x range with only two lenses.
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3GohLHY5Gs[/yt]
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JH-K6kqtgA[/yt]
[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtiUbfM36DQ[/yt]