Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 12:41 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How long should a lens repair take?

Post moved by CX15

Last edited by CX15; 02-05-2010 at 12:00 PM.
02-01-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CX15 Quote
Hi all (hope I'm posting in the correct forum...)

Just a question if anyone has had some experience with lens repairs done by Pentax USA?

I sent a DA17-70mm in for repair and it has been 41 days with no result.
When I phone customer support I keep getting "we are waiting for spare parts from Japan and dont know how long it will take".

Can I consider this as normal; should I speak to someone higher up the foodchain?

Any comments are welcome.

Regards
CX

P.S. The lens was sent in to get cleaned only - My dog managed to get sand in it (long story but the last photo it took is here)
So it's interesting to hear they are waiting for parts. As far as I could tell the lens was still functioning fine, it just had a few grains of sand inside.
Also, they are fixing it under warranty and not charging me, which Im obviously very happy about but might point to something else entirely being wrong with it...
Assuming they're being honest, that's quite plausible. Sand in electronic and optical-mechanical works is something that can wreak utter havoc, and they may be just intending to replace all the guts rather than take it down, clean it all, reassemble it, and test it all for damage. This is one thing that makes a sealed lens a nice idea. If they found sand in the wrong place, be glad of the wait and wish they'd had the parts on hand.
02-02-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CX15 Quote
My dog managed to get sand in it (long story but the last photo it took is here)
That shot is fantastic!