Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2010, 12:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

Purple tints

I have got a couple of old tamron & makinon lenses that produce purple tints when in bright sunlight. This is especially noticeable on anything white which turns a light shade of purple in bright light. Much less noticable indoors.

I assume this has something to do with the coating on the lens ? The coating really does have a purple tint compared to a pentax lens. Does anyone have any idea how I can reduce this on my Pentax K-x ??

02-02-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Give some sample pictures.
02-02-2010, 12:37 AM   #3
Damn Brit

They were very big in the 70's, the coating was inspired by Jimi Hendrix.
02-02-2010, 12:56 AM   #4
tux
Forum Member

Original Poster
edit found one:

ok...her top is purple & should be white !! Purple haze in my brain !!!

shot in jpg...factory default settings & auto white balance...can anyone suggest a way to fix this without post processing ? I am to lazy for pp...

Last edited by tux; 02-02-2010 at 01:10 AM.
02-02-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Without post processing, it's going to be hard to fully correct in-camera. You can try pointing at a white object, like her top, and setting the white balance to that, but it might mess up other shots. The best thing to do is just edit it in post, I would say. It's not so hard, I hope you don't mind the liberty I've taken (I'll be glad to remove it if you do):

02-02-2010, 01:25 AM   #6
tux
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah thanks ...I will play around with the in camera white balance & see if I can reduce it. Otherwise I will just have to do some pp...indoors under lower light its not such a problem. What exactly is the cause ? Is it the coating on the lens ?

It seems the brighter the light the more purple I get.
02-02-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tux Quote
Yeah thanks ...I will play around with the in camera white balance & see if I can reduce it. Otherwise I will just have to do some pp...indoors under lower light its not such a problem. What exactly is the cause ? Is it the coating on the lens ?

It seems the brighter the light the more purple I get.
It could be the color of the coating, it could be the type of the coating, and it could be a flare-related problem. And some lenses, especially older 3rd-party ones that weren't held to as high of standards as ones from larger companies, simply have poor colors.
02-02-2010, 02:02 AM   #8
tux
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well the coating on both these lenses does look very purple /blue. They also both seem to crap out in bright light....all contrast goes & things start turning purple.

They both doe look much better in low light.

02-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Well the coating on both these lenses does look very purple /blue. They also both seem to crap out in bright light....all contrast goes & things start turning purple.

They both doe look much better in low light.
I made a post a year ago with some comparison shots of the kit lens and DA 17-70. Given the white balance preset for flash, the kit lens made white slightly blue, whereas DA 17-70 made white pretty much white. With a white card and manual white balance, I got the colors to pretty much match for both lenses.
02-02-2010, 06:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

edit found one:

ok...her top is purple & should be white !! Purple haze in my brain !!!

shot in jpg...factory default settings & auto white balance...can anyone suggest a way to fix this without post processing ? I am to lazy for pp...
Your white balance is wrong.
If you don't want to do a little post processing, can you bias the in camera WB on the K-x? Or is that one of the features you don't get on that camera?
02-02-2010, 06:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

AWB is not very reliable. Shoot RAW or just do MWB if you really care.
02-02-2010, 11:02 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
If you don't want to do post processing, then you could try using manual (custom) white balance as suggested above. It appears a coffee filter can be used for good results. I myself have tried a cut-out from a 4 Litre translucent milk jug and it worked too. See your camera's manual on how to set custom white balance. With these devices, you cover the front of the lens with them and then take a custom white balance shot to set the white balance. Once this is done, you remove it from the lens and shoot as usual. You need to do this again if the color temperature of the light has changed.

Of course, you could also use a white card or a gray card which is usually the method described in the camera's manual.

Product Comparison: White Balance Filters (Professional Photographer Magazine Web Exclusives)
02-02-2010, 01:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Definitely not the lens - even if it had a slight purple cast, the camera should simply notice that as part of the color cast it tries to remove via AWB. Basically, AWB guesses at what thing should look like, and sometmes guesses wrong. you can either try to set WB carefully yourself every time the light changes, or accept that sometimes, AWB will guess wrong, and you'll need to tweak color in PP (which takes *far* less time than posting a message here, BTW!).
02-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
tux
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Definitely not the lens
Well it only happens with 2 of the 14 that I own. Both are non-pentax lenses. I guess it could just be a matter of the lens tint is being outside the parameters for the AWB on the K-x. I would not be surprised if this was the case since they are both non-pentax.

I will play around with the custom white balance & see if I can get it right that way. The other option is to send these 2 off to ebay (tamron 200mm f3.5 & a makinon 135mm f2.8)
02-02-2010, 04:01 PM   #15

Do let us know how well custom white balance work out for these two lens....