Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2010, 01:37 PM   #31

Thank you for the info.
The 35mm has an internal scratch
the 300 mm zoom has dust.
You guys are the experts. if you feel that it's acceptable then I feel better.
I called pentax USA who said they will honor the warranty since prodigital did provide me with a receipt.

I am just not use to exporting items. So in the future I will pay the extra money and go to B&H

penny wise and dollar foolish

12-16-2010, 01:59 PM   #32
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't call a scratch, internal especially, on a 'NEW' lens acceptable in the least. I would definitely be returning that one. I don't call a scratch on a USED lens acceptable unless it's disclosed pre-sale so you know that's what you are getting. On the Zoom, it would depend on how much dust. We expect them to be perfect but (perhaps to our peril) accept slight imperfections such as a couple dust spots. I'm no expert when it comes to buying New lenses. I've bought a fair number but consider myself to be pretty lucky.

One thing I Do know, is that Ebay's and Paypal's terms have changed in the last couple years to favor the Buyer. They've taken a 'customer is always right' tactic and in some cases, that's the way it should be. Their terms however also state that if you return an item as a result of a claim, make sure it can be tracked with proof of delivery. That's why I say choose one of the options that allow that. Sending something to Canada under the wire declared at $10 may cause you a lot of un-needed headache in the event of a problem. Another reason for initiating claims first is to establish your paper trail in case you end up having to follow through with a claim.

I don't know how they (paypal) deal with the super-sellers such as Prodigital2000 but in the one case I've had a claim filed against me (resolved outside of paypal), they immediately debited my account for the full purchase amount, held in escrow pending resolution. I would have taken care of this particular customer anyway but I have to say that will motivate one to act one way or the other.

Edit: Just read your entire post. It may be Simpler to go through the warranty service than to deal with PD2K at this point.

12-16-2010, 02:32 PM   #33

I will find out when I send it to Pentax.

Unfortunately they are C.R.I.S. repair.

So they will probably not exchange it.

So in the future it's best to buy local.
12-16-2010, 02:51 PM   #34
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
So in the future it's best to buy local.
There's a lot to be said for that. Especially if you can walk into the store (and get the same as online pricing) to get it. Even if not, it couldn't take more than a day for transit from say B&H to the Bronx. Then if you have the same issues, you can take it back in person. Yep, a lot to be said for local purchase. Around here though, it just isn't an option that I know of.

12-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yankeenut Quote
The 35mm has an internal scratch
the 300 mm zoom has dust.
I guess you are new to Pentax. I have been using Pentax for more than 2 decades and all my existing Pentax gears were purchased brand new. I can tell you for certain that inner scratches & dust are not rare with virgin brand new Pentax lenses even MIJ. Most of my Pentax lenses have inner scratches too if shined with flashlight, and some that I passed were so bad they should not leave the factory imho. Not that I think they should be that way, but just the fact of life with Pentax. In contrast, all Canon/Sigma/Tamron lenses that I have purchased were PERFECT. I had some Nikkor AF lenses had inner cleaning marks too. If you are fishing for perfection with Pentax QC, you might be disappointed after countless exchange. Good luck.
12-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #36
Forum Member

Just bought something from them today for the first time before reading this thread. Glad it's mostly positive. They beat the next closest seller for the tamron 90mm by a decent margin.
12-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter

sales tax

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
There's a lot to be said for that. Especially if you can walk into the store (and get the same as online pricing) to get it. Even if not, it couldn't take more than a day for transit from say B&H to the Bronx. Then if you have the same issues, you can take it back in person. Yep, a lot to be said for local purchase. Around here though, it just isn't an option that I know of.

The problem Jeff, is that if you step into the B&H store (or Adorama or any shop in NYC for that matter) and buy something you get to pay sales tax, which here in NYC is a hefty 8.875%. I like the ppl at Adorama, and I try to support them as much as possible, but mostly for big ticket items I buy online from out of state vendor. Unfortunately Buy.com was forced to collect NYC sales tax also. As does Amazon, but I try to stay away from them anyway after the way they treated McMillan and others in the publishing industry. I do buy lots of little things at Adorama, bags, lens cases, lens pens, swabs and the like. They have a very good used lens department and I've bought a bunch of very good lenses there. And the nice part is that they are usually enough cheaper than KEH that the sales tax isn't an issue.

NaCl(NYC sales tax is a killer)H2O
02-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I bought a D-FA 100mm WR back when it was pretty expensive everywhere for a good deal from PRODIGITAL2000 on ebay. For whatever reason, I got hit with an unexpected currency conversion fee of like $20, but the deal was still cheaper than I could get anywhere else with the fee.