Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Lens purchase on the bay

i'm debating pulling the trigger on a lens that is being sold on ebay. the seller gave me the order number from amazon and i called to confirm it. it was purchased in november. however, there is no warranty.

can i get an extended warranty through pentax , do i have other options....?

looking for some piece of mind. the price is right, but i don't really know what i'm getting.
thoughts?

02-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't know of any options. Pentax doesn't offer extended warranties on lenses and Mack Warranties have to be purchased at the time of purchase. Not sure what else would be available. Depending on the lens, it might not be that important.
02-02-2010, 06:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Usually there will be a SquareTrade warranty offer email sent to your email address after winning an item on eBay. If not, maybe you have to subscribe to them. Their warranties are a little expensive since they cover used stuff too, but otherwise they seem just like any other warranty service.
02-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i guess if it doesn't work, ebay takes my side so i would be refunded correct? i really want to pull the trigger on this...but for 125 more, i can get something new and a piece of mind. man this is tough.

02-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
i guess if it doesn't work, ebay takes my side so i would be refunded correct? i really want to pull the trigger on this...but for 125 more, i can get something new and a piece of mind. man this is tough.
If the lens doesn't work? Sure, you have 45 days to return a defective item, no questions asked (as long as it's truly defective) with all PayPal purchases. What lens is it? Like Rondec says, for a lot of stuff you don't even need to worry about failure.
02-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
If the lens doesn't work? Sure, you have 45 days to return a defective item, no questions asked (as long as it's truly defective) with all PayPal purchases. What lens is it? Like Rondec says, for a lot of stuff you don't even need to worry about failure.
its a 10-17 fisheye
02-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i bought it. $375 shipped for a 10-17mm fisheye that's 2 months old from amazon. it can't be that bad right?

go ahead now.....tell me, that's the one lens i might have a problem with.

02-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

i bought it. $375 shipped for a 10-17mm fisheye that's 2 months old from amazon. it can't be that bad right?

go ahead now.....tell me, that's the one lens i might have a problem with.
I wouldn't say in particular, no. I would be more worried about long tele lenses, or some of the more cheaply-made lenses. The 10-17 is a well made lens and I doubt you'll have problems with it. Enjoy!
02-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
one thing to consider with E-Bay and other internet sales, is that some offer a trial and return period.

This is especially true if the lens turns out to be other than what is advertised, i.e. not in the condition it is claimed to be in, or perhaps has an obvious defect, like it does not focus, etc.

You need to be somewhat careful, but in the end most purchases are probably exactly what you wanted. A good lens (allthough no m,anufacturer's warranty) and a low price
02-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
i've done my share on the bay....but it was this particular seller who seemed shady. we'll see.
02-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

This is not always the case as they would prefer the seller more if they are selling a lot of items since they can make more money from those seller than you, the buyer.
This has happened to me on a HongKong shop.
I bought a camera grip strap and it was different from what was on the photo or from what was advertised as being sold.
It did not have small differences, it was totally different!
They sided with the seller even if I sent the item back, so the seller got the item and my money!
02-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
This is not always the case as they would prefer the seller more if they are selling a lot of items since they can make more money from those seller than you, the buyer.
This has happened to me on a HongKong shop.
I bought a camera grip strap and it was different from what was on the photo or from what was advertised as being sold.
It did not have small differences, it was totally different!
They sided with the seller even if I sent the item back, so the seller got the item and my money!
That makes no sense, and that isn't how eBay nor PayPal operate. I can guarantee that you are not describing the situation fully or properly. PayPal will always side with the buyer if the item is considerably different and you make a clear point of that.
02-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will probably be o.k. with that particular lens. There is the possibility of getting a 3rd party warranty. However, that usually is only cost effective for a more expensive lens from a risk management stand point.