Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2010, 05:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member
Deiberson's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 734
Lens purchase on the bay

i'm debating pulling the trigger on a lens that is being sold on ebay. the seller gave me the order number from amazon and i called to confirm it. it was purchased in november. however, there is no warranty.

can i get an extended warranty through pentax , do i have other options....?

looking for some piece of mind. the price is right, but i don't really know what i'm getting.
thoughts?

02-02-2010, 06:02 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Southern Indiana
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 14,924
I don't know of any options. Pentax doesn't offer extended warranties on lenses and Mack Warranties have to be purchased at the time of purchase. Not sure what else would be available. Depending on the lens, it might not be that important.
02-02-2010, 06:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Untied States
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,882
Usually there will be a SquareTrade warranty offer email sent to your email address after winning an item on eBay. If not, maybe you have to subscribe to them. Their warranties are a little expensive since they cover used stuff too, but otherwise they seem just like any other warranty service.
02-02-2010, 06:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member
Deiberson's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 734
Original Poster
i guess if it doesn't work, ebay takes my side so i would be refunded correct? i really want to pull the trigger on this...but for 125 more, i can get something new and a piece of mind. man this is tough.

02-02-2010, 06:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Untied States
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,882
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
i guess if it doesn't work, ebay takes my side so i would be refunded correct? i really want to pull the trigger on this...but for 125 more, i can get something new and a piece of mind. man this is tough.
If the lens doesn't work? Sure, you have 45 days to return a defective item, no questions asked (as long as it's truly defective) with all PayPal purchases. What lens is it? Like Rondec says, for a lot of stuff you don't even need to worry about failure.
02-02-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Deiberson's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 734
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
If the lens doesn't work? Sure, you have 45 days to return a defective item, no questions asked (as long as it's truly defective) with all PayPal purchases. What lens is it? Like Rondec says, for a lot of stuff you don't even need to worry about failure.
its a 10-17 fisheye
02-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member
Deiberson's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 734
Original Poster
i bought it. $375 shipped for a 10-17mm fisheye that's 2 months old from amazon. it can't be that bad right?

go ahead now.....tell me, that's the one lens i might have a problem with.
02-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Untied States
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,882
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
i bought it. $375 shipped for a 10-17mm fisheye that's 2 months old from amazon. it can't be that bad right?

go ahead now.....tell me, that's the one lens i might have a problem with.
I wouldn't say in particular, no. I would be more worried about long tele lenses, or some of the more cheaply-made lenses. The 10-17 is a well made lens and I doubt you'll have problems with it. Enjoy!

02-02-2010, 07:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,312
one thing to consider with E-Bay and other internet sales, is that some offer a trial and return period.

This is especially true if the lens turns out to be other than what is advertised, i.e. not in the condition it is claimed to be in, or perhaps has an obvious defect, like it does not focus, etc.

You need to be somewhat careful, but in the end most purchases are probably exactly what you wanted. A good lens (allthough no m,anufacturer's warranty) and a low price
02-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Deiberson's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 734
Original Poster
i've done my share on the bay....but it was this particular seller who seemed shady. we'll see.
02-02-2010, 09:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member
GerryL's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: CA
Posts: 2,731
QuoteOriginally posted by Deiberson Quote
i guess if it doesn't work, ebay takes my side so i would be refunded correct? i really want to pull the trigger on this...but for 125 more, i can get something new and a piece of mind. man this is tough.
This is not always the case as they would prefer the seller more if they are selling a lot of items since they can make more money from those seller than you, the buyer.
This has happened to me on a HongKong shop.
I bought a camera grip strap and it was different from what was on the photo or from what was advertised as being sold.
It did not have small differences, it was totally different!
They sided with the seller even if I sent the item back, so the seller got the item and my money!
02-02-2010, 09:32 AM   #12
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: The Untied States
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,882
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
This is not always the case as they would prefer the seller more if they are selling a lot of items since they can make more money from those seller than you, the buyer.
This has happened to me on a HongKong shop.
I bought a camera grip strap and it was different from what was on the photo or from what was advertised as being sold.
It did not have small differences, it was totally different!
They sided with the seller even if I sent the item back, so the seller got the item and my money!
That makes no sense, and that isn't how eBay nor PayPal operate. I can guarantee that you are not describing the situation fully or properly. PayPal will always side with the buyer if the item is considerably different and you make a clear point of that.
02-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #13
Moderator
Site Supporter
Blue's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Florida Hill Country
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,166
You will probably be o.k. with that particular lens. There is the possibility of getting a 3rd party warranty. However, that usually is only cost effective for a more expensive lens from a risk management stand point.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, lens purchase, pentax lens, slr lens, warranty
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
little help on lens purchase... 96p993 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 12 08-08-2010 10:54 AM
Worried about a lens purchase... Anemos Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 4 07-13-2010 09:44 AM
Need advice on lens purchase George Lama Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 08-29-2007 09:54 PM
Lens purchase ravphoto Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 0 08-13-2007 11:14 PM
Anyone purchase from Cameta on E-Bay? Clem Nichols Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 07-15-2007 07:58 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top