Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by asdf Quote
For all we know, that could've been taken with a ten year old compact camera.

From downsampled images we can study the quality of the bokeh, the overall contrast (which could be low, wide open with fast lenses) and resistance to flare. We haven't learned anything from your photo.
Ok, I won't force you to look at it anymore. Happy?

02-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Just go to my Pbase page (Peter's Photo Galleries at pbase.com) and have a look at: Gosia and Zuzka & Marek galleries. There is a quite few shots taken by 31ltd.
If you'd want to see more, let me know, I'll post some here

BR
Peter
Highly recommended for anyone who likes good photography and/or pretty ladies!
02-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've considered used on this one, but I'd like to go new so I can get a 2 year CDN warranty. Also, as I'm planning for this to be my workhorse lens (to replace my Sigma 30mm), I'd like to get it new from the start so I know where its been. I'd also like to avoid BF/FF issues (by being able to exchange a lens) since I've read that EVEN the FA31 can be prone to it, no?

It is a big chunk of change, but I figure that if I want to stick with Pentax (and stick with it for professional use) I want to get the fantastic lens to go with it. The purchase of the FA31 would mean that I have committed almost completely to the Pentax system for the long term (atleast in my mind)
02-04-2010, 04:01 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
I've considered used on this one, but I'd like to go new so I can get a 2 year CDN warranty. Also, as I'm planning for this to be my workhorse lens (to replace my Sigma 30mm), I'd like to get it new from the start so I know where its been. I'd also like to avoid BF/FF issues (by being able to exchange a lens) since I've read that EVEN the FA31 can be prone to it, no?

It is a big chunk of change, but I figure that if I want to stick with Pentax (and stick with it for professional use) I want to get the fantastic lens to go with it. The purchase of the FA31 would mean that I have committed almost completely to the Pentax system for the long term (atleast in my mind)
As for the BB/FF issues, I've had to adjust both my K20 and my K7 for the FA 31, but that could be just as much the body as the lens (it was different both times--can't remember exactly what though). I guess I'm trying to say this: If an FA 31 works dead on on your current body, who knows about the next one? Just make sure it's not way out and that you can get a good image from it.

It does have some fringing (purple and cyan), but I love the rendering. The Sigma 30 was a solid lens, but the bokeh never did it for me--it would always turn the highlights in the corners into triangles when you stopped down a bit, and I tend to include a lot of foliage as background.

Here's one I like of one of my girls from the FA 31 at f/2.2 (with no sharpening, and just a curves adjustment in Lightroom). The sigma would've done the background much differently, probably more of a blur with triangle highlights in the corners, but that's also a matter of taste--some people would call this busy:

02-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #20

Can someone tell me what is BB/FF issue? How can we test it? Thanks
02-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote

I just received mine from Aden Camera. 1200$ taxes and shipping included. Plus, it's the made in Japan version they have. After testing it for almost a week now, I can tell you that this lens is so good you will commit to Pentax for a long time. I already have the DA 35 and I hesitated a long time before buying the FA 31. Believe me, it's worth every dollar. Sharp and almost no PF at f/1.8, tack sharp and no PF at 2.8. Simply awesome.
02-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SylBer Quote
I just received mine from Aden Camera. 1200$ taxes and shipping included. Plus, it's the made in Japan version they have. After testing it for almost a week now, I can tell you that this lens is so good you will commit to Pentax for a long time. I already have the DA 35 and I hesitated a long time before buying the FA 31. Believe me, it's worth every dollar. Sharp and almost no PF at f/1.8, tack sharp and no PF at 2.8. Simply awesome.
if they sell it for $600, I'll buy it immediately. but at it's current price, I think I would reserve that money for another body.