Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-03-2010, 09:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this noise normal or not?

I purchased a Tamron 90mm macro not ong ago. When it is not mounted on my K10D, it does a strange noise when I focus it manually. I sounds as if something is loose inside the lens. It's as if I can hear something scratch the inside of the lens. Anyone noticed something similar on a Tamron 90mm macro? I have a 7 years garanty on it, should I send it to Tamron Canada for a check up?

02-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
SylBer :I purchased a Tamron 90mm macro not ong ago. When it is not mounted on my K10D, it does a strange noise when I focus it manually. I sounds as if something is loose inside the lens. It's as if I can hear something scratch the inside of the lens. Anyone noticed something similar on a Tamron 90mm macro? I have a 7 years garanty on it, should I send it to Tamron Canada for a check up?

This is not normal, the focus ring should be smooth and quiet. Sometimes a particle can get trapped between the focus ring and the lens body, hence noise. You have a warranty; I would send it in to be looked at.

BTW, this may sound silly, but I thought it good to mention--you do not have the lens set for Auto-focus by any chance, do you?
02-04-2010, 12:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Check out this thread...
02-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
BTW, this may sound silly, but I thought it good to mention--you do not have the lens set for Auto-focus by any chance, do you?
Good question, but it is on set to manual focus.

02-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #5

Original Poster
I just send it back to Tamron. We'll se what happens.
02-05-2010, 11:15 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Some AF lenses have a certain amount of noise when focused manually. My FA 77/1.8 Limited is this way as is my DA 18-55/3.5/5.6. How much (if any) is normal for your Tamron is hard to say. With any luck, they will be able to provide you with either an answer or a new lens.

Steve
03-01-2010, 11:48 AM   #7

Original Poster
I just got may Tamron 90mm macro back from repair. They fixed the noise issue. MF is not as smooth and silent as with my FA 31 (and I don't expect it to be), but it is much better now than before. For a plastic lens, it's actually very good. And the IQ is still...amazing of course. Can't wait for summer to use it for some backyard safari action.