Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 04:57 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
With the sigma 100-300 anyone has a few examples of this with a 2X TC,love to see shots at 200-600(Would that be f/7 and it would be MF )

cheers
A 100-300/4 + 2x tc turns out to be a f/8 lens throughout. At 500mm it would be 1/2 f-stop slower than the Bigma. The Bigma's AF works ofcourse throughout its range, I don't know about the 100-300+tc, but under bright light, it could work with AF, possibly.

Ben

02-05-2010, 05:03 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Re. Image Quality

I think, we should not forget, that at these focal lengthes (500mm or 600mm), the IQ of the lens in itself is rarely the decisive factor in terms of real IQ (apart from using a really poor lens).

There are so many other factors dominating, like camera shake (even on a tripod), wind induced vibrations, motion blurr of the subject (we are dealing with small apertures) and not the least atmospheric turbulence (weather, landscape and distance dependent) - which all have a bigger influence than small differences in sharpness and contrast between lenses.

And ofcourse there is the question of the final presentation of an image. If printed in the usual standard sizes, fine differences are not visible. Just when browsing through pbase or flickr or whatever you will find poor and also excellent images with either the Bigma or the 100-300 (with tc). There are just so many factors to consider when using long lenses. Achieving excellent images, is simply much more of a challenge, then with shorter lenses.

Ben
02-05-2010, 05:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
With the sigma 100-300 anyone has a few examples of this with a 2X TC,love to see shots at 200-600(Would that be f/7 and it would be MF )

cheers
One of the moon here and one of a bird here. Both were handheld and the bird was pushing it at ISO 800 1/125 on my K10D but quite pleased considering it was probably a 70% crop as well.
02-05-2010, 06:14 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use my BIGMAfor motorsports and airshows primarily as I don't do a whole lot of wildlife photography. What the BIGMA gives you is an incredible range of instantly accessible focal lengths in one very nicely performing package. Is it better than a 300mm prime with a 1.7 TC. Without question, the answer is NO if your subject stays off at the distance you want. However if the subject approaches you with any speed you are going to find yourself wanting a wider lens very quickly. With the prime/TC combo, you will miss lots of shots while you mess with the lens. So these should be your primary questions. Is your subject relatively static and will the huge focal-length range benefit you more than a slight IQ gain? For me, I had to answer yes (and the IQ is actually very comparable to most long lenses in the same price point). If you look at my aviation and motorsports galleries most were taken with the BIGMA either on a K10D or K20D.

Mike

p.s. The BIGMA, due to its weight is also a surprisingly good lens for panning "predictable" subjects such as MotoGP racing bikes and high performance jet aircraft.

02-06-2010, 12:39 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Prior to Christmas I was looking at the Sigma 100-300 f4. $1199 + $250 for the Converter. My wife had told me to pick a lens that I wanted for A Xmas Gift. I told her the 100-300.....She had sticker shock! I Went back to the drawing board and researched more on the Bigma since my goal was to get to 500mm+ anyway. I found one used on Ebay for $819 and picked it up. I have taken some very nice bird pics out of our bedroom window and have not really regretted the purchase at all. I shoot at f8 and iso 800 and it produces very good results. It is large and can be cumbersome until you get used to it. It is heavy and I use it on the tripod or a monopod 90% of the time. I also know I can get my money out of it should I decide to sell it down the road. Right now I am having a good time with it and have no real complaints. I saved my wife $630 and have more reach.
Good luck with your decision.
02-14-2010, 06:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hope to pick up Bigma soooooon!!

I am also looking into the Bigma very soon as I will have a budget of about 1k for my dream lens (for what interests me). We have a boat and will be cruising Casco Bay in Maine this summer looking for shore birds, whales, and seals.
Anyone have a recommended retailer?