Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2007, 04:37 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Geyst Quote
oops forgot to mention.

Its the smc PENTAX-F ZOOM 1:4-5.6 70-210mm is does not say in the lens name but it has an ED element in it.
Haha, I was about to say, you did NOT get a 70-200 f2.8 for that price...

07-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Sorry folks... I just got a reply from Sigma on the 70-200mm f/2.8... now it will not be available until the end of the year at the earliest!

Like some of you I was previously told it would be coming this summer - in fact the US site previously mentioned that under the lens' listing. Now that info has been removed from the site, but they haven't actually posted the news of the postmonement anywhere and they didn't inform the retailer who placed the order for me. Optics companies really don't do communication all that well...

I was told that there was no room in the production schedule, but presumably they previously thought they could find room and something changed their mind to make them place the lens further down the list of priorities... maybe Sigma were worried by the Hoya-Pentax business. Or (perhaps more likely) they just figured it would be better to turn out more cheap zooms to go with Rebel or D40 kits

As for the Tamron equivalent, I have been told it's expected for Canon and Nikon in "fall" (nothing more specific) and for Pentax up to a year later.

I have also been told by my retailer that the Pentax 50-135mm f/2.8 (which was low on my list anyway because of the shorter length and digital-sensor-only coverage) may be delayed until September! Other normally reliable shops still say expected end of July, so I have no way of knowing which is correct (I am hoping Pentax will reply and let me know).

So basically no fast telephoto zooms for us until the end of the year. Short answer to the original poster's question: there aren't yet any direct alternatives to the Sigma. For fast longer glass you'll have to look at primes (but not the Sigma 150mm macro - it's probably their best macro lens, so of course it isn't available for Pentax either ) At least this thread shows that more than one of us is fairly disappointed in the situation and are looking for Sigma to make fast long glass for Pentax... now if only we can persuade Sigma to take us seriously and provide the lenses...

Last edited by ZaphodB; 07-05-2007 at 08:14 PM.
07-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, looks like it's the 70-300 cheapy Sigma... or Canon.

Tough choice.
07-06-2007, 12:12 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow. I'm glad I picked up my Sigma 70-200/2.8 second hand when I did about 6 months ago - a real spur of the moment decision at the time (and have picked up second hand EX 1.4x and 2x since). It's not a macro or DG, but it's still bloody good.

07-06-2007, 01:21 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by blwnhr Quote

Tough choice.
May I suggest the DA50-200 to tide you over? That's what I did when I didn't have my Sigma and desperately needed a lens in that range. I know you prefer full-frame but this will tide you over and then you can easily resell it, there's a nice market for that lens all the time.

Even with full-frame you could go with a Pentax SMC-F 70-210... great optics, made of metal, with the only annoying part being it's rotating front element... but again, just to tide you over.

Cheers,
-Asad
07-06-2007, 04:01 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Tough choice.
Ow. I don't think I'm quite ready to go that far... although for a few seconds I did consider whether to get a N***n body to go alongside my Pentax, just so I could get a fast tele zoom. I know saying things like that might be considered sacrilege... but what are you supposed to do when you can't get the right lens for your mount from any manufacturer, especially when it's a fast tele zoom which is hardly an exotic lens choice.

I think I'm probably looking for the same thing as you - fast tele zoom, preferably full-frame but it does need to be fast, and a variable aperture of f/4.5-5.6 etc (probably having to stop down for decent quality) just won't cut it.

On a similar topic... according to Intro2020 (the UK importer), the two new DA* zooms are now not expected until the end of August. Although at this rate maybe it's just wishful thinking to hope that we'll even see them by then? Presumably the problem they are having is all about the SDM (which I and no doubt a good number of others here can't use anyway). Another reason for letting us buy the Tokina version eh?
While on the subject, it would have been nice if they had announced the delay rather than making us call the importer... yes it might have put some people off the system, but at least it would have been honest and we would know where we stand.
07-06-2007, 04:18 AM   #22
Inactive Account

I think i must be the only 1 using this lens,havent seen it mentioned in any post here.I use a Tamron AF 80-210mm with the k10d im pretty happy with the results i get.There only $300 in Australia and easy to get.If u want to see image quality all the pics in my gallery are takin with it.Good luck
07-06-2007, 06:15 AM   #23

Me Too

I have been waiting for this lens as well. I checked with several suppliers and Sigma direct. Got the same replies. Non Macro model No longer in production and no plans for the SDM or Non-SDM version of the Macro model.

Luckily, my Pentax repair guy wants one of these lenses as badly as I do and has been hounding the importer/distributer and the repsonse has gone from.."None left (non-macro model)" to "We found a couple on the shelf we didn't know we had and will be posting them out within the week"

I am glad as the the Non-Macro version is reportedly sharper than the new Macro version. Looking forward to seeing this lens

07-06-2007, 07:07 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crashman Quote
I am glad as the the Non-Macro version is reportedly sharper than the new Macro version.
I saw that too
07-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by crashman Quote
Luckily, my Pentax repair guy wants one of these lenses as badly as I do and has been hounding the importer/distributer and the repsonse has gone from.."None left (non-macro model)" to "We found a couple on the shelf we didn't know we had and will be posting them out within the week"
Cool... any chance he'd be willing to post international and send one my way?

I was in a shop today discussing this problem and one of the salesmen (I think a Nikon user) told me the usual stuff about high-end lens choice for Pentax being poor. I couldn't really argue, but it's annoying that not long ago I could have pointed to the Sigma (non-macro) as an example of him being wrong...
07-06-2007, 06:14 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asad_Masede Quote
May I suggest the DA50-200 to tide you over?

Even with full-frame you could go with a Pentax SMC-F 70-210...

Cheers,
-Asad
Are either of these available new? If not I don't know where to look. I keep a constant eye on the classifieds here, look a few times a week in the second hand stores around my city and am on eBay every day. I don't know what else to do.

I was speaking with C. R. Kennedy on Tuesday and they have nothing long for Pentax (apart from Sigma 70-300) and nothing on it's way.

I told them to give me the Sigma 300mm f2.8 prime for the same price as the 70-200 seeing as they can't supply anything...they haven't got back to me.

QuoteOriginally posted by trumpyman Quote
I use a Tamron AF 80-210mm with the k10d im pretty happy with the results i get.There only $300 in Australia and easy to get.
Where did you get this from mate? I'm in Tasmania and have not seen a shop that stocks Tamron.
07-07-2007, 09:46 AM   #27

I know your pain

I picked up my Sigma 300mm f/2.8 the other month and if you can get one for the prioce of a 70-200mm f/2.8 your doing well.

If I knew there were more than just a couple of these lenses available I would be the first to let everybody know where they could get their hands on one. As it is I am saying nothing until I have mine in my hands first.
07-07-2007, 08:48 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Are either of these available new?
Yeah! DA 50-200 should be available anywhere. It will look like a toy though, it's about the same size as the Pentax 18-55.

Pentax 50-200mm F4-5.6 SMC DA ED Lens Discounted Now at Camerastore.com.au
07-08-2007, 04:02 AM   #29
Forum Member

Have you looked at this lens?

I have a *ist DL and purchased this Sigma lens
Sigma 28-300mm F3.5-6.3 DG Macro (62mm)

Found here if it helps

Ted's Camera Stores Australia - Sigma 28-300mm F3 5-6 3 DG

The results have been surprisingly good considering the length of zoom on the lens.

Hope this helps

Last edited by davekimber; 08-09-2007 at 02:48 AM.