Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So why didn't anyone else want this lens? PCS ARSAT H Shift Lens 35mm f/2.8

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Anyone have experience with this Arsat shift?

PCS ARSAT H Shift Lens 35mm f/2.8 for Pentax on eBay

Description if you don't want to click the link:

The Multicoated PCS ARSAT 2.8/35mm Shift lens with 11 mm shift and with 360 degree rotating plate capabilities enable the correction of perspective distortion necessary in interior and exterior architectural, landscape and product photography.

This 35mm Shift Pentax K is a sturdy lens. The angle of view of a 35mm is nearly perfect for architecture and interiors. As to its optical performance, it is simply outstanding. Resolution and contrast are excellent.

The main use of this shift lens is for perspective control. The lens tube rotates through 360 degrees and image axis is adjustable by 11mm. This lens is a high quality traditional lens, fast at f/2.8, with plenty of shift movement in all directions, unusually wide angle at 35mm, has the versatile Pentax K mount but without auto exposure contacts (can be used aperture-priority or metered manual).

The lens performs fine rectilinear rendition with many correcting elements, and the superior multicoated optics delivers superb performance under all conditions with excellent resolution, sharpness, contrast and control of flare.

02-04-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No experience, but one sold for significantly less than that on Jan. 30th.
02-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
No experience, but one sold for significantly less than that on Jan. 30th.
Actually, no it didn't. That buyer squelched on the deal, winning the auction for 2 GBP more. Check the Bid history and use GBP for comparison of what you found and what I linked to. 2 GBP does not a significance make.

To the rest of the audience, question still stands. Curious for any in the know, +/-.

Last edited by m8o; 02-04-2010 at 10:12 PM.
02-04-2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Unless you're using film I dont think 35mm would be wide enough for alot of shift applications. It would be good for some, but not a do-it-all. Just imho though, I'm not all that experienced in architecture photog

02-04-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Nobody else wanted it? Looks like lots of people wanted it. It sold for a lot of money considering what it is. It's not like a Nikkor PC lens.
02-04-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Nobody else wanted it? Looks like lots of people wanted it. It sold for a lot of money considering what it is. It's not like a Nikkor PC lens.
a Lot? three bids between two people; two people is a lot? ...and one of those two bidder backed-out of the deal?

Actually, my bad. I now realize I didn't link to the auction that contains that activity:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PCS-ARSAT-H-Shift-Lens-35mm-f-2-8-for-Pentax_W0QQitemZ...item1e5a2408d6

I certainly am not confusing it with the upper crust of lenses. "But is it a crappy plastic without any fantastic" is the veiled question here if it wasn't obvious.
02-05-2010, 12:00 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
a Lot? three bids between two people; two people is a lot? ...and one of those two bidder backed-out of the deal?

Actually, my bad. I now realize I didn't link to the auction that contains that activity:
PCS ARSAT H Shift Lens 35mm f/2.8 for Pentax on eBay (end time 30-Jan-10 20:48:04 GMT)

I certainly am not confusing it with the upper crust of lenses. "But is it a crappy plastic without any fantastic" is the veiled question here if it wasn't obvious.
In the original link, it does not show how many bids there were. It just says "Sold For: £147.27". Seemed like a lot of money for a totally unheard-of lens. Heck, I just bought a 35mm Tilt-shift lens for Pentax for $20. But it's got a fixed aperture of f/11 It still tilts and shifts just as well though.

02-05-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
m8o
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lol. That's funny. As well as Ah, "a lot" as in "a lot'a dinars" not "a lot" in the sense of the interest in it that I was wondering about.

Well, the reason I was interested in this is this seemed like an "affordable" way -- when compared to getting a Pentax 28mm Shift -- for me to get my feet wet with 'shift' photography. Whether I'd ever splurge for a Pentax shift would then be tbd.
02-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Well, the reason I was interested in this is this seemed like an "affordable" way -- when compared to getting a Pentax 28mm Shift -- for me to get my feet wet with 'shift' photography. Whether I'd ever splurge for a Pentax shift would then be tbd.
So in that case, grab the lens I just did! It's very fun and I'm planning on making a review of it soon:

Loreo Lens in Cap 35mm Perspective Control for Pentax - eBay (item 140328684247 end time Feb-17-10 00:37:12 PST)

(No affiliation with the seller of course, heck, I didn't even buy mine from them)
02-05-2010, 12:17 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Aren't there tilt shift/ a specific camera lens mount to PK adapters available for some of the Russian lens mounts? That's something that might be worth looking at, can't remember if it was the Zenit website or the Arsat website though.
Here you go LBA on a grand scale
Arax Photo | Accessories for medium format cameras and lenses.
02-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

My explanation would be: Unknown lens maker, relatively new seller with not so great rating, very small market and nothing you generally search for.
02-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
In the original link, it does not show how many bids there were. It just says "Sold For: £147.27". Seemed like a lot of money for a totally unheard-of lens. Heck, I just bought a 35mm Tilt-shift lens for Pentax for $20. But it's got a fixed aperture of f/11 It still tilts and shifts just as well though.
Totally unheard of? I have heard of the Arsat before, but never a Loreo. By reputation the Arsat is supposed to have reasonably good optics with typical FSU build. It is/was made in the Ukraine by the Arsenal entity. The Arsat 35 T/S is harder to come by than in the past, but is listed at Hartblei.com for $595 USD. Hartblei used to use the Arsat optics in their Super-Rotator T/S lenses before they switched to Zeiss.

Here is a review of the Arsat:
Arsat 2.8/35mm Shift Lens | kosara.net
Steve

(No relation to Hartblei, Arsat, etc...)
02-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Aren't there tilt shift/ a specific camera lens mount to PK adapters available for some of the Russian lens mounts? That's something that might be worth looking at, can't remember if it was the Zenit website or the Arsat website though.
Here you go LBA on a grand scale
Arax Photo | Accessories for medium format cameras and lenses.
Arsat and Arax are both products of Kiev-Arsenal in Ukraine. The lenses were/are available in a variety of mounts including Pentax-K. Both labels are available in Pentax-K and both offer T/S lenses, though with different mechanisms.

Steve
02-05-2010, 11:04 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
My explanation would be: Unknown lens maker, relatively new seller with not so great rating, very small market and nothing you generally search for.
Yep, a relatively unknown maker and niche market often results is low price at auction. I say relatively unknown because Kiev-Arsenal is not a household name like Canon. However, given the limited number of makers of T/S lenses, Kiev-Arsenal is actually one of only a handful of firms that has offered this sort of product and one of the few available in multiple mounts. The field is pretty limited, but these are the makers I am aware of for Pentax-K:
  • Pentax (shift only, long-time discontinued)
  • Harblei (legacy using Arsat optics)
  • Hartblei/Zeiss
  • Arsat
  • Arax
  • Loreo (shift only)
  • Lensbaby
Arax also makes both tilt and shift adapters (not both) for Pentacon-6 lenses to Pentax-K.

Steve
02-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Totally unheard of? I have heard of the Arsat before, but never a Loreo.
Unheard of by me, which is of course all that matters

But really, thanks for the info