Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2010, 12:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You shouldn't take that so serious.
Especially on ebay it's impossible to lower one's price there's always some millionare's kind of jerk who skyrockets every auction - except when I try to sell something

To make this thread more interesting: pictures! First the Sigma, then M series, the my 16-50 - all at f/4.

To give you some kind of measurement - this is what the Sigma produces at f/1.8, subject distance 0,6m

This is what the Pentax F 1.7/50 delivers:

Can the Vivitar match this and does the newer Macro version top it?
I don't see much edge-sharpness falloff. Actually it does fairly well but at the same settings it's slightly darker and gives less contrast than the Pentax lenses.

Last edited by Egg Salad; 02-11-2010 at 12:53 PM.
02-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bump + info

I didn't expect even the old non-AI f/2 Nikkor sells for more than $250. My lens choice was pretty limited to begin with. Now there's only the Vivitar and Sigma remaining. If they don't offer a better performance overall (sharpness, rendering, contrast) I'll have to stay with mine until the new DA* 28mm f/2 is released (if it's true).
02-11-2010, 02:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Did you get the lens?

Someone had offered the M 28/2 for $200 about a week ago, on this very forum.
02-11-2010, 03:08 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No no, nothing new. I know about the M 28 because I posted in this tread asking him to trade the Sigma for the Pentax but unsurprisingly he declined.

Also didn't bought the Nikkor and won't buy for anything near this price.

To make my "final" decision I need to know if either of these two remaining lenses performs better than mine. Else buying another one would be stupid despite the better build.
Overall image quality is still my priority.

02-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #20
Forum Member

hmm......I got the M28/2....no time to try it out yet.

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
Did you get the lens?

Someone had offered the M 28/2 for $200 about a week ago, on this very forum.
02-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #21

Realistically, I don't think it will be possible to get a lens that is F2, good at F2, and reasonably priced that is not 50mm.

You may want to look at F2.8 lenses. I know for a fact that my Pentax-A 28/2.8 is very, very good, and easy to obtain for probably <$100 (maybe). Was easily nicer than the FA35 I had.
02-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes I know that certainly isn't an easy task.

For some reason even the A series lenses sell for much more than $100 right now (translated from current prices).
But nah, f/2.8 is no option - I wouldn't need another lens then - the 16-50 just does that. Sure a prime could do it better but f/2.8 for a normal prime is too weak.

Sharpness-wise the Sigma seems to perform decently but it has many other important weaknesses - especially flaring.
02-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote

Sharpness-wise the Sigma seems to perform decently but it has many other important weaknesses - especially flaring.

I've just gotten that macro version of the Sigma 28/1.8, and I'm very happy with its sharpness across the field: at f2, much better than at 1.7, but still pretty good wide open for a fast wide, wide open.

As for flare, I don't work in the bright too much, but it's not proven terribly bad (Despite the big thread size, the front *element* isn't so huge, and I'm even suspecting I could put a step-down ring on there for a pretty tight hood on crop, and get things a bit more compact in the bargain. I always use hoods. )

I don't know if the build quality's any different from the one you have: it feels nice enough, but there's this funny kind of a clutch on the focusing ring, you pop it in and out a little to disengage the ring from turning while in AF. I could see not caring for the feel of this, (it does pop back and forth pretty easily) but it doesn't seem all cheap or anything.

02-12-2010, 04:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is my lens and hood parade. As you can see the hood I've got for the Sigma is way too short - just look at the lenght the hood on the M 28. I suspect even with a better one flares won't get much weaker as they mostly happen when shooting directly into a light source - light from the side causes strong loss of contrast and the typical flare patterns where you can see the single lens elements in the picture.

My Sigma is considerably smaller than the newer one (which is more of con to me as I like big lenses - I'm pretty short you must know...) but even on this one the front element is clearly smaller than the filter size.
About build quality: it is all plastic with a rubber coating at the lens' middle part and of course rubber on the focusing ring.

How does the bokeh/background blur look on the newer Macro?
Because mine "only" has 7 blades which make for a rather edgy oof rendering.
See image of ceiling lights at f/2 (also shows some of the weird flare effects)
Attached Images

Last edited by Egg Salad; 02-12-2010 at 05:05 PM.