Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zenspector Quote
Okay, this may be a dumb question,but it won't be my first. I just received my new K7 with FA 77 and FA 31 Limited lenses. Pulling them out of the box last night to get the feel of the system, I felt a little put off by the size of the FA31. The FA77was perfect. Now, I haven't had a chance to shoot with them, and I know through my extensive research that the 31 is an outstanding lens. Also I like the idea of the FA's since there is the possibility of a FF Pentax in the future, maybe. I got to thinking , however, I might like the DA35 Macro Limited and a DA15 Limited (which I had considered getting later) better , especially if the 35 is smaller. They both can be had for just a bit more than the 31 alone, and now would be the time to do this if I am going to. I enjoy shooting macro, but had planned on getting a 100 Macro in the future for that purpose. Am I being crazy? As always, aound advice is appreciated.
I'm quite interested in the 35mm LTD. I also find the 31 to be somewhat clunky, but the pictures it makes more than offsets it's porcine body shape.
The extra stop is an advantage, but then, with better high speed performance and AF systems, it's getting less critical all the time.
The 15LTD is a little gem. It's really nicely sized, it's pretty good at f/4 and superb at f/8.
I've never seen a 35LTD, but absolutely everything I've read or heard about it is that it is fantastic.
I think Mike Johnson espoused it as being the best lens ever.
If it is as good as I've heard, I would seriously consider it over the 31, especially if it meant getting the 15 as well.

As for full frame, I've never had much use for a 28mm, and I can't see the 31 being more useful to me on a 135 format digital. I don't think I've shot any film with my 31, I bought it as a standard lens for my DSLR.
I wanted a standard, and I decided I wanted to try autofocus as well.
Actually, it was my second AF lens, the 77 being my first. I never much liked the 77 on film either, but love it on digital.
This is not to say it isn't useful on 35, but I find that range is wide enough to have to be careful about wide angle wonks, but not wide enough to be good for much.
I always thought it was funny that that range was sold as a "landscape" focal length, but that as a landscape photographer I never found much use for that angle of view.
As much as I'd like a 135 Pentax digital, I don't think I'd use my 31 anywhere near as much with it.

Funny but true, I "found" a Schneider 65mm Super Angulon in my 4x5 camera case, and I don't recall buying it.
That is more or less the same angle of view as a 28mm lens on the 135 format.

02-05-2010, 07:08 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would use the lens for six months before I decide I don't like it.

But on the other hand, it's the only FA I had no big interest in. The price does have something to do with that.
02-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Truthfully, if speed is important to you, you could get a FA 35 and the DA 15. The FA loses in build quality and bokeh to the FA 31, but it is still a pretty sharp lens.

I have the DA 35 and the only thing bad I can think to say about it is that it is slow at auto focusing. Works best if you manually focus most of the way and then let the camera focus the rest of the way. When I was looking at the 30ish mm lenses, I just couldn't afford the FA 31 and I wanted the macro ability of the DA 35. It really is amazing. For detail shots, macros of flowers and non moving things, it just can't be beat.
02-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

DA35: great lens, slow performer.
FA31: great lens, expensive
FA35: great lens, bokeh is subjective.

02-05-2010, 09:04 PM   #20
krs
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Try it, and in the end, I expect you will want to keep it! There are times that the additional aperature just "makes the difference", expecially if you are in a situation where you either do not want to or cannot us a flash.
02-05-2010, 09:47 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Not my experience... the DA 35 weighs 7.6 oz vs. FA 77 at 9.5 oz. BTW: I think the DA 70 (4.6 oz) is every bit as good as the 77.
Hmm, I could have sworn the DA35 was bigger than the FA77. I appreciate the correction on the weight.
02-05-2010, 09:49 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I would also consider the FA43 (and possibly the DA40, though not quite as much) along with the DA15. The speed is there with the 43, although not as sharp wide open as the 31, so I don't know how usable it would be at f1.9. All good things to consider as I put the 31 (and the 77) to the test over the next few days. Sorry, cardinal, but I'll have to pass on letting you test them. I want to have some fun.
02-05-2010, 10:14 PM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
Hmm, I could have sworn the DA35 was bigger than the FA77. I appreciate the correction on the weight.
I was kind of wondering about that statement too. Of course, 2 ounces in weight doesn't matter much to me.

02-06-2010, 03:50 AM   #24
axl
Inactive Account

I would also consider the FA43 (and possibly the DA40, though not quite as much) along with the DA15. The speed is there with the 43, although not as sharp wide open as the 31, so I don't know how usable it would be at f1.9. All good things to consider as I put the 31 (and the 77) to the test over the next few days. Sorry, cardinal, but I'll have to pass on letting you test them. I want to have some fun.
43ltd is VERY usable at 1.9.
My copy seems sharper with less CAs wide open than my 31.
That extra stop and better MF feel was why I picked it over DA40 which I loved.
After month or so with it I have to say it focuses slower, has more CAs andd extreme corners are not as sharp as DA40, but for that extra stop, MF feel, rendering and center sharpness I'd pick it over 40 again and again.

BR
Peter
02-06-2010, 06:13 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The beauty of the DA limiteds (not that you asked) is size. Top to bottom they are amazing, tiny packages. The FA limiteds will all be (relatively) larger in size, but faster as well. IMHO you will need to get at least one of the DA limiteds down the road, but enjoy what you have for now.
02-06-2010, 06:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Please acquire the following:

You can do without the M 20 f/4, that's getting hard to find, but find a way to
end up with the other three. The Ultimate Limited kit.

Of course, if you end up with the 43, or 21, or 31, or 40, or 70, it will probably be OK.

02-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #27
Veteran Member

I would also consider the FA43 (and possibly the DA40, though not quite as much) along with the DA15. The speed is there with the 43, although not as sharp wide open as the 31, so I don't know how usable it would be at f1.9.
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
43ltd is VERY usable at 1.9.
My copy seems sharper with less CAs wide open than my 31.
That extra stop and better MF feel was why I picked it over DA40 which I loved.
I say you are both correct. The FA43 is not sharp wide open but is totally usable. Why? Because sharpness is not the only thing that matters. In fact, sometimes it doesn't matter much at all. If you are taking portraits then who cares if the edges of the image are not sharp? In fact, it is a bonus!

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Please acquire the following:
How subtle, Jay.

My preference for primes is 24 / 43 / 77. The 24 is a manual focus Vivitar. All are pocket-sized.

But the "best" wide-end option is the DA12-24. No matter what one thinks of zooms, there is simply too much difference in FOV between every mm at the wide end. This lens saves carrying about ten others and is great to use wide open. Not that one often needs to use an ultra-wide at f/4.

I am not sold on the DA15, because I would still need the 24mm and the two lenses together take up as much room as the zoom.
02-07-2010, 07:45 AM   #28

usable at f1.9

"a child next door", FA43 at f1.9

02-07-2010, 12:28 PM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Nice shots, Julia. Apparently very usable at f1.9. Thanks.
Would love to see some longer shots and landscapes with the FA43 if anyone has any to share.
Cheers, Ted
02-07-2010, 12:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Nice shots, Julia. Apparently very usable at f1.9. Thanks.
Would love to see some longer shots and landscapes with the FA43 if anyone has any to share.
Cheers, Ted
FA 43 @ f/8

FA 43 @ f/4

FA 43 @ f/2.8