Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
800mm

Found a Tamron SP 400 that I have been looking for . It came with a 1.4X & 2X converter. I didnt have much hope for the 2X but am very happy with the results so far..
Here is a shot of our court house at 50mm , a poor shot but will give an idea of the distance..

Here is one with the 400 with the 2X

Here is a pic of the rig

06-28-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

cooool! And the quality is good considering the tc and the distance. Thats so far away when I first looked at the first shot I couldnt see the buildning in the second shot.

btw OT: which right angle finder is that, is that one of those seagull ones? how is that working out for you. I want a right angle finder myself for tripod shots.
06-28-2007, 07:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
Angle finder is the Olympus Varimagni . Varimagni Finder - Olympus OM Macrophoto Group

It works great The K10 also has a Katz Eye Focusing Screen . My eyes are not so good anymore..wildherre
06-28-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
and
Veteran Member

really, thats great info! I didnt know there was an olympus angle finder that fits the k10d and it seems to be much more available than the pentax one. Thats a scoop for me thanks!

06-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Also use the Olympus varimagni finder on the DS & K10D. Works great. Originally bought it for the OM4t. Doesn't fit the 4/3 Olympus cameras.
thanks
barondla
06-30-2007, 06:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

That is stellar! And so is that tripod setup, whatcha got there?
06-30-2007, 01:44 PM   #7
and
Veteran Member

thanks wildherre and barondla. I just got my own olympus angle finder with a "buy it now" bid today. Looking forward to trying it out when it arrives. I feel so lucky I happened to spot it in that shot and ask about it, otherwise I might have ended up with one of those made-in-china-noname-ebay brand ones that are prolly not too good.

thanks guys

Last edited by and; 06-30-2007 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling
06-30-2007, 03:32 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
thanks wildherre and barondla. I just got my own olympus angle finder with a "buy it now" bid today. Looking forward to trying it out when it arrives. I feel so lucky I happened to spot it in that shot and ask about it, otherwise I might have ended up with one of those made-in-china-noname-ebay brand ones that are prolly not too good.

thanks guys
Re the comment above on the angle finder [and],

Actually the Seagull 'made in China' one that I purchased is excellent quality, and works very well, no complaints at all. I did not know there were options other than the super expensive hard to find name brand, and the price was well worth it. I like the 2:1 or 1:1 setting too, helps on macro work.

Wildherre, That is a great zoom shot btw... not a neck strap job with that lens for sure.

Phil

06-30-2007, 04:22 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Greetings Wildherre!!

Nice shots & an equally nice tripod setup!
I am looking to purchase something to help stabilise my camera when mounted with a big lens..
What is the name of the product that connects the tripod mount of the camera & the leg of the tripod??..

Thanks, Bruce
06-30-2007, 06:14 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Buddha Jones Quote
That is stellar! And so is that tripod setup, whatcha got there?

The tripod is an older Bogen 3036, ballhead is a Benro KS-2, the long lens support is a Bogen/Manfrotto 3252 .

Here is another pic
06-30-2007, 11:34 PM   #11
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by matix Quote
Re the comment above on the angle finder [and],

Actually the Seagull 'made in China' one that I purchased is excellent quality, and works very well, no complaints at all. I did not know there were options other than the super expensive hard to find name brand, and the price was well worth it. I like the 2:1 or 1:1 setting too, helps on macro work.
Phil
Sorry Phil I have not tried this finder myself so I shouldnt dismiss it as easilly. I am just naturally sceptical of noname equipment coming from ebay vs pentax / other camera manufacturers original equipment.
07-01-2007, 02:55 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
Wow, the 800mm is great. (the setup to)
thanks for sharing
07-02-2007, 09:03 AM   #13

Original Poster
Monopod

Just got my first monopod . It is a Bogen 3249-B . I dont have a head for it yet but have been thinkng of getting another Benro KS-2 like I use on the tripod. I just borrowed the KS-2 off of the tripod & grabbed a few shots with the 800 set up. I like it real well & will be getting another KS-2 for the monopod for the following reasons.

1. Compatibility . Having the same Arca Swiss type mounts on all camera bodies & lenses with mounts makes a bunch of sense to me.

2. Heft. Though the big ballhead may be bigger & heavier than what most would like, I wouldnt want anything smaller on my 300/2.8 & 400/4 lenses.. With the KS-2 locked down it very solid & doesnt flop.

3. Saftey Catch. I like the saftey catch on the Benro Arca type mounts. (Only Benro mount plates work with the saftey catch. If using a Arca , Kirk or or other Arca Swiss type mount, the saftey mechanism would have to be removed from the ballhead) The Feisol ballheads have a similiar saftey catch but dont know if they interchange with the Benro.

4. Extra Height. With the 3249 fully extended the setup is the perfect height for me (6'1").

Here is a monopod shot with the 800 setup, Tractor was on a road traveling at about 18-20 MPH.. Looks like the driver spotted me. wildherre

07-03-2007, 05:15 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildherre Quote
Just got my first monopod . It is a Bogen 3249-B . I dont have a head for it yet but have been thinkng of getting another Benro KS-2 like I use on the tripod. I just borrowed the KS-2 off of the tripod & grabbed a few shots with the 800 set up. I like it real well & will be getting another KS-2 for the monopod for the following reasons.

1. Compatibility . Having the same Arca Swiss type mounts on all camera bodies & lenses with mounts makes a bunch of sense to me.

2. Heft. Though the big ballhead may be bigger & heavier than what most would like, I wouldnt want anything smaller on my 300/2.8 & 400/4 lenses.. With the KS-2 locked down it very solid & doesnt flop.

3. Saftey Catch. I like the saftey catch on the Benro Arca type mounts. (Only Benro mount plates work with the saftey catch. If using a Arca , Kirk or or other Arca Swiss type mount, the saftey mechanism would have to be removed from the ballhead) The Feisol ballheads have a similiar saftey catch but dont know if they interchange with the Benro.

4. Extra Height. With the 3249 fully extended the setup is the perfect height for me (6'1").

Here is a monopod shot with the 800 setup, Tractor was on a road traveling at about 18-20 MPH.. Looks like the driver spotted me. wildherre

He spotted you? Wow, he must have some super eyesight to do that!
07-03-2007, 07:07 AM   #15
and
Veteran Member

hey Wildherre!

I just got my olympus variangle today!

I have a question for you, the image in mine looks very good, but I cant get it sharp in both 1.25x and 2x at the same time, if I switch between them then I have to adjust the diopter which is not ideal since unless I calibrate it I wont know if I am actually focusing correct or if its just the dipter, since the dipoter wheel does not have "clicks" I cant memorize the settings. Apart from the fact that for 2x I need to turn mine all the way up.

Can you comment on how yours work when you change the maginifacation?