Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sudhakar Quote
This is more addressed to Mr Lowell which he replied earlier in m42 thread but I guess, it would be better to post this in K mount 300/f4 thread. How to I take meter reading for K300/f4 with 1.7 TC combination. I tried the following as mentioned by Mr Lowel and it does not work and green button do not operate when these two are stacked.

"In Av mode yes, K mount lenses only work at maxximum aperture.

BUT in M mode, set to any aperture, and press the green button and the camera stops the lens down, meters and sets the shutter to the correct speed. Also if you just want to read the exposure using the DOF preview activates the metering and you can see over/under exposure with the metering when the lens is stopped down."

I attached 1.7 TC to my 100D super, then 300/f4 to it. I set the aperture on lens to f4 and camera control is on Av mode and I could dial forward or reverse to set the aperture all the way from 2.8 to f32. What should I set here? If I take picture with this setting, it is blown out.

Say Av does not work here and I set the mode to M and I tried to press green button (or equivalent in 100Dsuper), NOTHING happens.

Where do I set the aperture? on lens? or on camera or both the places? Consider that I am dumb and point me in step by step instructions.

thanks in advance
Sudhakar
You need to set the camera to M. Select the aperture on the lens. You must Enable use of the Aperture Ring in the Custom Menue in your camera! Only if you enabled the use of the aperture ring, the camera will be able to actually use these manual lenses.

After you have made the menue setting (that is a one time effort) you can select the aperture on the len, press the Green button in M-mode and the camera will adjust the shutter speed, based on the metering. YOu can then fine tune expsoure with the help of the light meter scale in the viewfinder.

Ben

03-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
@Ben_Edict Thanks for the inputs. I have been using this method for quite some time with 300/f4 K lens. I am fine here. But this does not work when I have 1.7 TC between lens and body.
03-01-2010, 08:03 PM   #18
Pentaxian

@Ben_Edict Thanks for the inputs. I have been using this method for quite some time with 300/f4 K lens. I am fine here. But this does not work when I have 1.7 TC between lens and body.
It should, it works just fine with my 300F4 and SMC-F 1.7xd AF TC.
03-01-2010, 09:16 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Montizg: hello,
Sorry if somebody already post something about,but i am interesting in any info about Pentax smc 300 f4,i read the lens review,but i am interested what does it mean"it is fairly sharp,or sharp for its prize",how sharp is that when you compare it to Carl Zeiss Jenna 300mm f4 or to new SMC Pentax-DA 55-300mm F4-5.8 ED zoom?Zoom have a better
rating,but for SMC 300 f4 minus is "heavy,manual focus,no tripod mount" which i dont care ,and ok some said little CA and PF,for Zeiss i can post unchanged photo if it is necessary to compare sharpness,is it SMC good enough to use it with some TC or not?
How it is optically ,i dont count weight or manual focus in optical
I recently picked up one of these &, so far, am impressed. I have not taken lots of shots, but enough to know the lens has very good sharpness and isn't bad @ f4. The build quality is excellent and a built in hood is supplied. I am amazed, because the one I found looks like it was never used--brand new like!!! The focus ring is very smooth, and nicely dampened. The bokeh melts in your mouth.

Sure, you must avoid high contrast scenes like an all-night dentist, but sensibly used this lens delivers the goods, for a very attractive price. The Achilles' heel of this one, well-documented in our Lens Reviews section, is the lack of a tri-pod collar--but that, as Lowell has shown, is easily remedied with a little mechanical aptitude and some simple stock items. This lens has [B]Winner[B] written all over it.

These shots here all look AWESOME!!! Lowell, Tom & Rfortson--it looks like you are using state of the art lenses to get such fantastic results.

03-02-2010, 05:26 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
I recently picked up one of these &, so far, am impressed. I have not taken lots of shots, but enough to know the lens has very good sharpness and isn't bad @ f4. The build quality is excellent and a built in hood is supplied. I am amazed, because the one I found looks like it was never used--brand new like!!! The focus ring is very smooth, and nicely dampened. The bokeh melts in your mouth.

Sure, you must avoid high contrast scenes like an all-night dentist, but sensibly used this lens delivers the goods, for a very attractive price. The Achilles' heel of this one, well-documented in our Lens Reviews section, is the lack of a tri-pod collar--but that, as Lowell has shown, is easily remedied with a little mechanical aptitude and some simple stock items. This lens has [B]Winner[B] written all over it.

These shots here all look AWESOME!!! Lowell, Tom & Rfortson--it looks like you are using state of the art lenses to get such fantastic results.
Thanks for the compliments on the photos. It just comes with practice. I know from lots of posts, tom has spent a lot of time mastering the manual focua pentax lenses, (not just this one but also the 200F2.5 and 400 F5.6 and has posted many great shots. I have similairly had a long time to figure this lens (with TC) out. I have had both since 1991 What do they say, practice makes perfect

The only real negative (and it is not the tripod mount) is the close focusing distance. It is not an impact with big subjjects like a heron, but with smaller birds, it can be a bit limiting. My sigma 70-200F2.8 focuses a lot closer, but you can learn to work with that also.

One thing I really promote, is the use of flash, because it is sometimes hard to get enough light. For that, however, you need really an *istD because it supports TTL flash as well as P-TTL. My chickadee, which I think is one of my best shots ever, was done using flash
03-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Jewelltrail,

Like Lowell, I’ve spent a lot of time with the older manual focus glass. So much so that I set aperture and shutter speeds based on instinct at this point. More often than not I get reasonable and sometimes great results. All but one of my optics is manual focus so I get a lot of practice. About the only time I use my DA 70/2.4 is for portrait work. I suspect if one comes to manual focus from AF there would be a period of “techno shock” as you get used to this Stone Age format. It takes both a desire and a will to get used to manual focus. For that reason it is not for everyone. Optically, the K 300/4 is a very good lens. K series build quality is about as good as it gets. Both Lowell and I have maintained that this lens is the best bargain 300 on the used market. I think the results speak for themselves. I’m sure you will like it as you become used to its idiosyncrasies The K 300/4 is very capable but takes some getting used to. Practice, patience and improving your manual focus technique will generate the desired results. Have fun with your new lens.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 03-02-2010 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo
03-02-2010, 10:07 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Lowell Goudge: Thanks for the compliments on the photos. It just comes with practice. I know from lots of posts, tom has spent a lot of time mastering the manual focua pentax lenses, (not just this one but also the 200F2.5 and 400 F5.6 and has posted many great shots. I have similairly had a long time to figure this lens (with TC) out. I have had both since 1991 What do they say, practice makes perfect

The only real negative (and it is not the tripod mount) is the close focusing distance. It is not an impact with big subjjects like a heron, but with smaller birds, it can be a bit limiting. My sigma 70-200F2.8 focuses a lot closer, but you can learn to work with that also.

One thing I really promote, is the use of flash, because it is sometimes hard to get enough light. For that, however, you need really an *istD because it supports TTL flash as well as P-TTL. My chickadee, which I think is one of my best shots ever, was done using flash.
Yes, I did notice that close-focus distance and thought to myself I wish it were better. How do you manage to get so close to birds that the CFD would even be a factor?

Thanks.

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 03-03-2010 at 03:06 AM.
03-02-2010, 10:17 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
8540tomg: Thanks Jewelltrail,
Like Lowell, I’ve spent a lot of time with the older manual focus glass. So much so that I set aperture and shutter speeds based on instinct at this point. More often than not I get reasonable and sometimes great results. All but one of my optics is manual focus so I get a lot of practice. About the only time I use my DA 70/2.4 is for portrait work. I suspect if one comes to manual focus from AF there would be a period of “techno shock” as you get used to this Stone Age format. It takes both a desire and a will to get used to manual focus. For that reason it is not for everyone. Optically, the K 300/4 is a very good lens. K series build quality is about as good as it gets. Both Lowell and I have maintained that this lens is the best bargain 300 on the used market. I think the results speak for themselves. I’m sure you will like it as you become used to its idiosyncrasies The K 300/4 is very capable but takes some getting used to. Practice, patience and improving your manual focus technique will generate the desired results. Have fun with your new lens.
Tom G
Thanks for the encouragement. At least part of the inspiration for getting this K lens comes from the amazing bird shots you post here at our forum. You really do work the old glass the way it was meant to be worked--impressive.
I actually own many more MF lenses than Af lenses, and prefer the MF glass by far. Even when shooting AF, I often use the MF focus ring. I get much more satisfaction out of the experience this way. I also shoot almost exclusively in M mode, for the same reason. So, I really do think this hunk of old glass is meant for me. I realize I need patience and some adjustment time, but feel it will be relatively painless. It sure is good to see you guys showing how it is done--thanks again.

03-02-2010, 11:11 PM   #24

@Lowell G, I think I figured out my issue of 300/f4 + TC combo. I replaced 300mm with 50mm/1.7 and it works in M mode and green button technique. Then I checked the contacts of 300mm and a small piece of aluminium foil which I tried earlier to short the contacts is left in the small groove. It is harldy 2-3 mm. Once I cleaned up this it works. Such a relief :-))

One more thing I observed after reading manual again on TC. When lens is on A mode, TC automatically compensates 1.7x multiplication factor and shows correct value. Where as in M mode the value on LCD says - - . But with this problematic 300mm, did see some aperture values which were not seen with 50mm. Anyways, my issue solved, happy to raise the 500mm barrel over weekend.

No way I can compare you folks's bird shots; but please have a look at my set and let me know the feedback for improvement to use this 1.1 kg beast.

thanks again

Last edited by Sudhakar; 03-02-2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Added URL for samples
03-03-2010, 04:48 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
Yes, I did notice that close-focus distance and thought to myself I wish it were better. How do you manage to get so close to birds that the CFD would even be a factor?

Thanks.
THis is the age old question, how to get close. For the chickadee I was able to stand nearby a feeder and observer the birds. after a while I became part of the environment and waited until one came close enough to me. I was able to approach a little more and when the bird almost filled the viewfinder I took the shot. It requires patience.

one thing I find is that I continually have to remind people,

image size = subject size x focal length / distance

doing nature shots is all about getting close

@Lowell G, I think I figured out my issue of 300/f4 + TC combo. I replaced 300mm with 50mm/1.7 and it works in M mode and green button technique. Then I checked the contacts of 300mm and a small piece of aluminium foil which I tried earlier to short the contacts is left in the small groove. It is harldy 2-3 mm. Once I cleaned up this it works. Such a relief :-))
glad to hear it is working.
QuoteQuote:
One more thing I observed after reading manual again on TC. When lens is on A mode, TC automatically compensates 1.7x multiplication factor and shows correct value. Where as in M mode the value on LCD says - - . But with this problematic 300mm, did see some aperture values which were not seen with 50mm. Anyways, my issue solved, happy to raise the 500mm barrel over weekend.
the SMC 300F4 of course has no aperture info so it will always show ----, but you are correct, if you have a KA mount lens, in the A setting it will always allow the camera to read and control aperture even in M mode on the camera
QuoteQuote:
No way I can compare you folks's bird shots; but please have a look at my set and let me know the feedback for improvement to use this 1.1 kg beast.

thanks again
your shots are quite good, the biggest issue, and this applies to any lens is getting close.
03-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #26

Inspired by all the great shots shown here. I managed to get my hands on a 300mm/f4. Just arrived last week. Due to various work commitments, did not had the time to really try it out. Just some random shots out the window.

Took some getting used to. It is heavy. Using it hand-held,,, seems to give me a good workout.

Will get back to post..if I ever get some presentable shots,.
03-03-2010, 09:08 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ahren Quote
Inspired by all the great shots shown here. I managed to get my hands on a 300mm/f4. Just arrived last week. Due to various work commitments, did not had the time to really try it out. Just some random shots out the window.

Took some getting used to. It is heavy. Using it hand-held,,, seems to give me a good workout.

Will get back to post..if I ever get some presentable shots,.
I got one last week. I took a few shots right away, high noon, dark stuff on a white snow background, with the expected result (color fringes in OOF high-contrast edges). The lens reminds me a lot of the K135/2.5, and the front lens group screws off in the same way.

In the evening I noticed some friendlier conditions and a small herd of deer. I took a series of shots including this:

ISO200, f5.6, 1/250
03-14-2010, 08:46 PM   #28

Latest picture with SMC 300mmf/4 and 1.7x TC combo