Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LBA - My FA* 400mm/5.6 arrived (3 images)

Status - mint

Got it from customs just this morning before work, then was making after work this "DIY" custom neoprene camouflage because tomorrow is Saturday and I might go birding if the weather allow it

Now, some images!

(I use monopod )

02-05-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It looks to be in immaculate condition! Now go get some shots with it so we can envy more
02-05-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I am sure this lens suck... sell it to me for a dollar and I'll pay the shipping... really I am doing YOU a favor!!! No? well ok ;(
02-05-2010, 10:19 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Great looking glass now if you had a 1.7X TC (680mm) the birds dont stand a chance TFS

cheers

02-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow what a great lens. I have a question regarding this lens and it's AF. It has a built-in AF motor is that correct? Because it seems really quiet and fast when focusing, does the AF rotate the ring or does it use a micromotor used similar to SDM?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn7Smp-qPs8
02-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Glad to see you got it finally. Looks like its in beautiful condition. Looking forward to seeing a lot of images from it.

I have to put off getting the 300/2.8 due to an unexpected situation. Anyway, I know longer have a tele but I am going ahead and getting the Sigma EX 100-300 again. I never really tried using the 2X TC much with it but that is going to have to do until probably fall. Then I am going to try again for the 300/2.8.
02-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

That's in great looking shape. I really like a 400mm on a crop body for birding. Long enough and not too much to carry around. I put a clip on my monopod and clip it to my belt if I don't need it, like to catch BIF.

02-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote
Glad to see you got it finally. Looks like its in beautiful condition. Looking forward to seeing a lot of images from it.

I have to put off getting the 300/2.8 due to an unexpected situation. Anyway, I know longer have a tele but I am going ahead and getting the Sigma EX 100-300 again. I never really tried using the 2X TC much with it but that is going to have to do until probably fall. Then I am going to try again for the 300/2.8.
Sorry to hear your lens fell through Oren, the 100-300mm is a heck of a lens with the pentax and the SR though.
02-06-2010, 03:38 PM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Congrats Nuno,
I hope to see som nice shots soon!

BR
Peter

PS: are you still getting the 500/4.5 you wanted?
02-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

lets see some pics! he said, dripping with envy. Congrats on the purchase, beautiful condition
02-07-2010, 06:34 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Wow what a great lens. I have a question regarding this lens and it's AF. It has a built-in AF motor is that correct? Because it seems really quiet and fast when focusing, does the AF rotate the ring or does it use a micromotor used similar to SDM?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yn7Smp-qPs8
There is no motor. It's screw driven.... but it's fast (at least fast enought for my purposes)

QuoteOriginally posted by OrenMc Quote

I'm trying but the (terrible) weather is not helping and I only shoot birds at weekend

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
lets see some pics! he said, dripping with envy. Congrats on the purchase, beautiful condition
Thanks, as soon as I get decent weather I will share some images

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
Congrats Nuno,
I hope to see som nice shots soon!

BR
Peter

PS: are you still getting the 500/4.5 you wanted?
Thanks Peter.

I started my thinking with the 500/4.5 but then I realized that for my kind of birding style (at least for now) it was better to have a 300/2.8 and work with 1.4/1.7/2x converters. So, into consideration was the 300/2.8 and 500/4.5.
One thing that was still putting me off was the weight, 1kg for the 400/5.6 and more then 2.5 kg (3.5kg) for the others was a huge diference ...

I could try a 500/4.5 nikon mount from a friend during one weekend and I put it off for good... too heavy for carrying in the rocks/clifs on seashore where I usually shoot the birds.

Then I was studying the 300/2.8 from a canon friend that also borrowed the gear so I can decide on getting my own or not. Also a great lens but I couldn't adapte to the extra weight. I was going to pull the trigger on one when I noticed there was this 400/5.6 available in this condition and I just decided after talking with a friend from mainland that has this lens and also do birding.

PROS

- saved money buying this one instead of 500/4.5 ....
- 1 kg
- Can be handheld with great % of sucess rate
- Great for crop sensor bodies
- Long enought (and when it's not I will use my feet )
- AF is fast
- AF is fast (enought for my purposes) when coupled with tamron 1.4
(Just tried today with terrible light/weather... now imagine with sunny days)
- Also works with pentax adapter 1.7 F with good IQ (I'm getting also one soon)

- I will not use (no need and I always go for getting the best IQ) but I tried a 2x converter on the lens and it does focus

- Small lens (smaller then my friend canon 400/5.6)
- Light lens (lighter then my friend canon 400/5.6)

- Great also for use with my monopod if/when needed

QuoteOriginally posted by borno Quote
That's in great looking shape. I really like a 400mm on a crop body for birding. Long enough and not too much to carry around. I put a clip on my monopod and clip it to my belt if I don't need it, like to catch BIF.
Exactly my point even because I'm upgrading from DA*300/4.

Thanks again to you all and for sure, as soon I get good weather the images will show up here
02-07-2010, 06:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
Great looking glass now if you had a 1.7X TC (680mm) the birds dont stand a chance TFS

cheers
I might have one sooner then later
For now I'm trying the lens by itself. (Tamron 1.4 might help on surf if/when needed)

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
I am sure this lens suck... sell it to me for a dollar and I'll pay the shipping... really I am doing YOU a favor!!! No? well ok ;(
Let's make a deal, if after a month of tests it sucks I might sell it to you for the same money I got it

(Better don't wait for it)

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
It looks to be in immaculate condition! Now go get some shots with it so we can envy more
It's mint condition

Will make my best to increase your envy
02-14-2010, 05:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster

It's still raining but I went out (with blind and nets) and got some images to test the lens.

Sample is above !
02-20-2010, 11:30 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Sweet! Nice find and look forward to more images...
02-20-2010, 03:02 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
[/IMG]

It's still raining but I went out (with blind and nets) and got some images to test the lens.

Sample is above !
Sharp, sharp, sharp. But how did you get near that featherball to get the glow paint on his legs?

Ben