Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Because 50mm's gene....
02-06-2010, 01:08 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
What is wrong with the DA* 55/1.4???
Not speaking for the OP, but it is too expensive to be the only "fast 50" in the current line-up.
Especially with everyone and their dutch uncle buying a K-x or K-7 at the moment, old lens supplies will dry up nicely.

02-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Why do you need the 50mm when you have the 40mm ?
I am more surprised that there's no DA 135mm Ltd.
02-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

50mm on APS-C is equivalent to 75mm on FF. So it falls into portrait range. Was there ever cheap portrait lens? (I mean 75-85mm range?) NO! So why would you suddenly expect one now?
DA*55 is portrait lens, covering the classic 85/1.4-2 spot in the line up. I don't think there is a) need, b) space for another lens in the line up in that range.
Cheap normal lens for APS-C... hell yes!
Moderate wide fast prime?...... hell yes!
90mm f2.8 or f2?.......................hell yes again!
135/2-2.8..................................well, not my cup of tea but still yes.
I think these lenses are much more what Pentax should bring out than yet another 50...

BR
Peter
02-06-2010, 04:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Danny Delcambre Quote
Where is NEW Pentax DA 50mm lens??????
It's called the DA*55/1.4.
It is a very good lens.
Save your pennies, it isn't cheap.
02-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Because the 55 is too expensive to be their only choice. You wouldn't believe how many customers come in with cheap $100 Canon 50mm 1.8 lenses on their cameras. Everyone on the internet is recommending them. Our version is much better but costs how much? End of sale. Pentax better get some affordable lenses out or they are going to be the expensive brand. Hasn't worked very well for Sony and their lens line up.

Pentax has the best normal lens of any company - the 31 Limited. Love mine. How many people are going to buy that - Limited. Most people buying entry level K-X aren't looking for a lens that costs as much or more.

Thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #27 in compact camera forum. Enter # 28. Any brand camera. Enter now!

02-06-2010, 05:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Because the 55 is too expensive to be their only choice. You wouldn't believe how many customers come in with cheap $100 Canon 50mm 1.8 lenses on their cameras. Everyone on the internet is recommending them. Our version is much better but costs how much? End of sale. Pentax better get some affordable lenses out or they are going to be the expensive brand. Hasn't worked very well for Sony and their lens line up.
Hmm? Sony has a 50/1.8 AF lens brand new for about $149 retail. They also have a 30/2.8 compact 1:1 macro with an enhanced focus motor (just like the 35 ltd but with worse IQ) for $199 retail.

Edit: they also have the cheapest full-frame DSLR on the market, the a850 for about $1850 retail. Pentax *is* "the expensive brand" between Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, and Olympus.

Last edited by wallyb; 02-06-2010 at 05:32 PM.
02-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Because the 55 is too expensive to be their only choice.
I agree. Everybody doesn't have deep pockets. I took a year to scrape up enough for the K20D, part of the reason I chose it was the price of the lens, I had compared all of the DSLRs in my range. The Pentax lens prices skyrocketed right after I bought my camera. I'm just glad I can mount older lenses that are affordable.
02-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Hmm? Sony has a 50/1.8 AF lens brand new for about $149 retail. They also have a 30/2.8 compact 1:1 macro with an enhanced focus motor (just like the 35 ltd but with worse IQ) for $199 retail.

Edit: they also have the cheapest full-frame DSLR on the market, the a850 for about $1850 retail. Pentax *is* "the expensive brand" between Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, and Olympus.
people do keep slating sony for expensive glasses but their zeiss is traditionally very expensive. zeiss is expensive in other mounts too.
02-06-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It's called the DA*55/1.4.
It is a very good lens.
Save your pennies, it isn't cheap.
1+

The big question that comes to mind is...WHY?

The FA 50/1.4 is still available (yes, yes, I know...its not as cheap as it used to be, but that is not the issue) and tons of options are available on the market used for well under $100 if you want entry level.

As for the Sony offering...great deal. The lens is even on sale $25 off through the end of the month. It might be a good excuse for people to jump ship and move to Sony.

Steve
02-06-2010, 11:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
1+

The big question that comes to mind is...WHY?

The FA 50/1.4 is still available (yes, yes, I know...its not as cheap as it used to be, but that is not the issue) and tons of options are available on the market used for well under $100 if you want entry level.

As for the Sony offering...great deal. The lens is even on sale $25 off through the end of the month. It might be a good excuse for people to jump ship and move to Sony.

Steve
not necessarily, but might be a great 2nd alternative. I think it's about high time that Sony comes to it's senses that they can't compete in a market that has been monopolized by the 2 giants, especially if their lens prices are ridiculously expensive, although I don't mind using Taks, Tamrons, Sigmas and Zeiss. I still have to wait for what Sony has instored for this year. how bout the Olys' ? hope they have something new as well. atleast that would pressure Pentax to remain competitive by lowering their prices. however, I might consider another system where I would be able to use a Sigma 150/2.8 and a Tamron 180/2.8, if Pentax doesn't come up with something along that range or a K-mount versions of those 2 lenses, and I need a full-frame.
02-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
not necessarily, but might be a great 2nd alternative. I think it's about high time that Sony comes to it's senses that they can't compete in a market that has been monopolized by the 2 giants, especially if their lens prices are ridiculously expensive, although I don't mind using Taks, Tamrons, Sigmas and Zeiss. I still have to wait for what Sony has instored for this year. how bout the Olys' ? hope they have something new as well. atleast that would pressure Pentax to remain competitive by lowering their prices. however, I might consider another system where I would be able to use a Sigma 150/2.8 and a Tamron 180/2.8, if Pentax doesn't come up with something along that range or a K-mount versions of those 2 lenses, and I need a full-frame.
Actually, if anyone can give Canon and Nikon a run for their money, it's Sony. They're a much, much, MUCH larger company than Canon and Nikon combined, with much more advertising and marketing resources. And since that's all it takes to be at the top (since Pentax obviously has the best-quality stuff ), then I'm sure Sony will make Canikon shake in their boots. They've only been in the game for 6 years and they're already #3. Soon they may beat out Nikon.

And I thought I just dispelled that rumour about Sony lenses being expensive?
02-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

How about 18 f2