Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Konica lenses. Worth buying ?

Today I was offered the following lenses - a kit with a Konica T4 camera and some accessories such as a bellows / copy stand, loads of filters and the usual stuff that a keen photographer collects.
Nearly all this stuff is in it's original cases, is in mint condition with instruction books etc.

The lenses are -

Vivitar 28 f2.8 Auto Wide.
Vivitar 135 f2.8 ( I don't think it's marked 'close focus' )
Konica AR 200 f4
Konica AR 55 f3.5 - this is in a double ended case with a X2 teleconvertor in the other end.
Hoya Zoom close up. This is an oddball, a very large diameter, but short length lens with a 49mm thread. It looks and feels cheap though.

Vivitar flash Auto Thyristor 283
Konica X-24 flash
Konica macro lens adaptor

I've got a K10, I like manual focus lenses. Is this lot worth anything, or does the 5mm difference in the register length make it not worth the hassle? I've seen the thread about the conversion of Konica to Pentax, and I've got a lathe in my shop. Final question, is the bayonet the same, could I use the Konica bayonet if I did the conversion or would I have to go searching for sacrificial Pentax lenses?

Are these lenses so stunning that that I need to spend my time converting them?

( I've just figured out that the Hoya lens screws onto the front of another lens with a 49mm filter ring )

Last edited by Lloydy; 02-06-2010 at 12:09 PM. Reason: sudden enlightenment !
02-06-2010, 12:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately due to the register distance, Konica will not fit a Pentax body. You could adapter Pentax to Konica but not the other way around. Since Konica is gone, these have little value unless you want to find a film body and shoot that way. These will not allow infinity focus.
02-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was sucessfull in converting a Konica AR mount vivitar 55mm macro to K mount so that it maintained infinity focus. It involved a fair bit of work and I did it more for fun and to see if it was possible than because I needed the lens. The vivitar macro is a good lens and I think the work was worthwhile.
None of those lenses look especially exciting but if you like playing with your lathe it may be worth a try. I haven't investigated original Konica lenses but the vivitar ones are likely to be much the same as ones made for other mounts and so are likely to be convertable (if mine is anything to go by). If they were offered cheep enough it may be worth it for the oportunity to play. If you fit a K mount to the back of the bellows you can use the rest of the lenses on this for macro and close up work.
Unfortunately the bayonet is not the same as pentax and so cannot be used. I used a flanged M42 - K mount adapter.
02-06-2010, 02:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

depending on the lens design minimum focus may not be an issue.

I worried a lot about this when I converted a Minolta MD mount to K mount on a Kiron 28mm F2, only to discover the focusing helix has a really simple adjustment design on the Kiron lenses. the focusing collar, which contains the min and infinity focus stops is held in place by 3 washers that lock it to the focusing helix. undo the screws through the washers, and the focusing collar is now independant of the helix. reset infinity focus and tighten the screws.

It may not be that easy on the konica lenses, but you might want to look at it.

02-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was wondering if it'd work. At work we have an uGLY (fungus inside) Konica 57mm f1.4 I'd like to try.
In reality, even if I can't focus to infinity it'd probably still be good for my closeup work.... if I can clean those nasty mushrooms out
02-06-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Very interesting replies, the possibility of adjusting the focusing stops makes it tempting to have a play.

I've stripped and cleaned lenses before, and done the Ricoh pin removal etc so getting down and dirty with a lens isn't a problem.

I can get this collection for Ģ50 / $78 so maybe there's some mileage in the deal?
02-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Unfortunately due to the register distance, Konica will not fit a Pentax body. You could adapter Pentax to Konica but not the other way around. Since Konica is gone, these have little value unless you want to find a film body and shoot that way. These will not allow infinity focus.
Peter,
The film body (T4) comes with the kit. Depending on the price, it may well be worth purchasing as a film system and using it as such. As noted above, Konica mount lenses may be converted to Pentax K with some degree of success if desired.

Steve