Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-29-2007, 08:00 AM   #1

FA 35mm f/2 available at B&H

In case anyone is looking for the fabulous FA35 f/2.0, I just noticed that B & H once again has this lens "in stock". I ran over to B & H a few weeks ago after receiving an email notification that this lens was in stock, and was told that they had exactly ONE in the warehouse at that time (which of course I bought).

This lens easily rivals my FA50 f/1.4 in terms of IQ, and it seems just as fast 'cause it's razor sharp even at f/2. And I often find it more useful than the FA50 because of its broader field of view.

06-29-2007, 08:20 AM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
imo its better than the fa 50 if you dont count the speed disadvantage. a great buy, people should get this one and not the 50, its so much more usable on dSLR
06-29-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Great lens! I bought one of the last ones from B&H last month as well.

Good to see Pentax is still shipping these out (albeit somewhat sporadically)
06-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Not wanting to create a panic, and I could be wrong, but I believe these are likely to be the last of the Pentax 35mm f/2. All of the shops in the UK I normally buy Pentax gear from not only don't have them (although some haven't bothered to remove the listings), but also have no expectation of receiving any more.

The good news is that you can still buy the Samsung "Schneider" version, which appears to be almost completely identical. Some people say the Samsung versions of Pentax lenses lack SMC coating, but I have seen nothing to either support or refute that... though I can't see why it would be the case when the Samsung version is actually being sold for a higher price than the Pentax. Anyway I bought one yesterday from a fellow poster here and while I haven't had a chance to review any shots yet I can at least say the AF is pretty fast.

Last edited by ZaphodB; 06-29-2007 at 09:04 AM.
06-29-2007, 09:31 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Panic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06-29-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for posting this. I've been wanting to get this lens for a little while now, but the inflated eBay prices are ridiculous.

EDIT: Just received an email from BH saying that they are out of stock and my order won't be filled. Oh well... I guess that saves me $300.

Last edited by igowerf; 06-29-2007 at 11:52 AM.
06-29-2007, 11:37 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Anyone who is debating the 35mm vs. the Limited 31mm, and gets comments on the "3-D look" of the Limited, look at my picture above...I think you can still get a good "3-D look" with the cheap 35mm
(not to disparage the 31mm or the fans of the 31mm)
06-29-2007, 03:03 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
Panic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can stop panicking now the Samsung 'version' is excellent. Apart from the writing on the lens, I think the only difference is in the lens hood... the little removable tab for turning filters (which I believe was on the Pentax version?) is not there, but apart from that they may have actually made an improvement since the inside of the hood is 'matt' whereas apparently the one on the Pentax was more reflective and so could cause flair. Anyway that's just the hood, I'm fairly convinced the lens itself is completely identical.

And judging from my initial messing-around shots it is very nice indeed. The '3D look' is definitely there. I have read some negative comments about the bokeh... well I am sure it's not as good as the Limited but I don't consider it unpleasant... anyway the reason the bokeh is not as pleasing as the Limited is presumably the lower number of aperture blades... solution, for more 'circular' bokeh... shoot wide-open, which is something you will have no hesitation doing with this lens.

06-29-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
Site Supporter

In case anyone is wondering, the Samsung 35mm f/2.0 is called the D-XENOGON 35:
PMA Tradeshow Blog - PhotographyREVIEW.com (scroll to the bottom)

Samsung Digital Camera Accessory

Zaphod, where were you able to find the Samsung 35mm? There doesn't seem to be much info online.
06-29-2007, 05:33 PM   #10
Inactive Account

I was sold one by a poster from here, I think he said he bought it from a shop in London. I haven't seen any in actual stores myself, but I could have bought one new online from Park Cameras. Sorry I don't know where you'd find one in the US; I seem to remember reading that B&H had them but they don't seem to list them now.
06-29-2007, 06:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think there's one FA35 for sale in the marketplace from a forum member for 290$..

I bought mine from a fellow member of the forum (Duplo) a few weeks ago, my favourite lens by far, it was in immaculate condition

best 225$ i ever spent on lens.

Edit: i checked on the marketplace and he has just marked it as SOLD.
06-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by ZaphodB Quote
I seem to remember reading that B&H had them but they don't seem to list them now.
Daggone...I ordered one yesterday when they still showed as "in stock"...

Hope it went through...
07-02-2007, 04:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I emailed BH about their stock and they replied with:

QuoteQuote:
Please be advised that we are expecting in the “PENTAX SMCP-FA 35mm f/2.0 AL LENS” you have on backorder by next week.
07-02-2007, 04:58 PM   #14

B&H notified me today that mine shipped