Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #1

Pentax K-X Lens Choices

Hi,
Recently bought a Pentax K-x camera with the 18-55 kit lens. I also own from my Pentax film camera days-Pentax SMC-F 50, 1.7; 28-70; and 100 3.5 Macro lenses.

Options,
1. Keep what I have.
2. Keep the 18-55 lens, buy a Pentax 50-200 lens from KEH.
3. Buy a 18-200 Tamron lens from Amazon and sell the rest

I know that none of these lenses are the greatest. I do want to save up for much bette lenses. But, for the time being, for the next few years at least, what is my best option?

Thank you,
Scott

02-06-2010, 11:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you know and are okay with not having the best lenses for the time being, I would actually recommend option #3. That lens, and the 18-250 which is of considerably higher quality, are the perfect option for people who don't mind not having 100% perfect image quality at the benefit of having superb range all in one lens. I think either would be the perfect interim choice. I would still keep the SMC-F 50/1.7 for low-light shots, though.
02-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The 50mm is probably the best of the bunch. I'm so over my kit lens. It is an advanced lens but I just don't get images that are as sharp as they could be.
02-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My personal opinion:

For the time being, keep what you have and take photos with them. Find out if you are comfortable using them (I assume that they are K-bayonet and manual focus and indeed Pentax branded); e.g. manual focusing is not for everybody as there is no split prism on the Kx.

It sounds like you're used to changing lenses, so I don't see a need for a 18-250mm. Also I don't see a tele like a 70-210mm in your existing setup and therefore assume you have never had a need for it, so why buy a telezoom now?

There will be occasions where you want a faster lens so the 50mm/1.7 can be useful (although you might find that it's a bit long as it's now mounted on an APSc body) or that you want to do macro. The 28-70 can be a nice portrait lens.

Once you've figured out the limitations of your current setup, it's time to buy. By then you should have a good idea of what you want.

I don't know anything about the image quality of those lenses (you don't mention makes and you're the judge of that anyway), but suggest only on focal range and aperture.

PS if the lenses are not Pentax branded, do some research as you might be able to get them on but don't get them off.

02-07-2010, 03:46 AM   #5
Inactive Account

If I were you:
a. I'd keep the kit lens 18-55
b. Buy Tamron 70-300 Li Macro for just 170 @ Amazon
c. Sell the F50 1.7 to me

I want to buy that F50 1.7 if the condition is good and the price is right

QuoteOriginally posted by dillybar1999 Quote
Hi,
Recently bought a Pentax K-x camera with the 18-55 kit lens. I also own from my Pentax film camera days-Pentax SMC-F 50, 1.7; 28-70; and 100 3.5 Macro lenses.

Options,
1. Keep what I have.
2. Keep the 18-55 lens, buy a Pentax 50-200 lens from KEH.
3. Buy a 18-200 Tamron lens from Amazon and sell the rest

I know that none of these lenses are the greatest. I do want to save up for much bette lenses. But, for the time being, for the next few years at least, what is my best option?

Thank you,
Scott