Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do the reported SDM failure problems affect your purchasing?
Yes 9676.80%
No 2923.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Just12hvFun Quote
The reported SDM failures does impact me, but it doesn't prevent me from giving the lenses a try

I just make sure I get the extended warranties
Why should I have to pay extra to make sure the product works like it is supposed to?

04-24-2010, 05:33 PM   #167
Site Supporter

It was enough of a concern that I spent an extra $65 for an extended 3 year warranty on a DA* 300mm lens. Pentax/Hoya board room people better man-up and address the issue or stock up on K-Y.
04-25-2010, 02:12 AM   #168
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrCynical Quote
Pentax has quite a few very nice lenses which don't have SDM: the DFA 50 and 100 macros, the DA and FA limiteds. Of course all of those are primes, but avoiding SDM doesn't mean you have to avoid ALL lovely Pentax glass.
Yes it does.
It's not just about avoiding SDM anymore. It's about avoiding their non-existent service!
They roll out problematic lenses of any kind now days:
- have you seen the thread about the faulty FA31's?
- have you seen how frequently it is mentioned in test reports they had to go through x samples or 'our sample seemed to have a decentering issue'?
I could go on.
Fact is you need to be able to rely on the service a company sets up.
My experiences learned me Pentax service failed miserably.
Hence: No more Pentax.

The relation to this thread is simple: had I not been confronted with the SDM failure, chances are I wouldn't have come in contact with their "service" system and I wouldn't have been aware of it's non-existence.
I would still be buying Pentax.

As a company, you have two choices: you deliver a consistent high quality product or you get a service system in place worthy of that name. In that case, when a customer comes into contact with the less than optimal Quality Control, it is fixed quickly and easily. The customer will forget.
Not in this case. The customer does not forget, he is no longer a customer and word does get around. Instead of losing one customer, you lose a customer and a number of potential customers.
Do you know what the cost is for a company to gain new customers.