Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Do the reported SDM failure problems affect your purchasing?
Yes 9676.80%
No 2923.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #16
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex00 Quote
It's like using a computer and worrying about the hard drive failing. It can fail at anytime.
You can back up a hard drive though.

Will you let us know if your 16-50 does fail or will you keep quiet about it?
15-3

02-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's like using a computer and worrying about the hard drive failing. It can fail at anytime.
You're right. But the data on hard drives can be backed up, most hard drive manufacturers give warranties longer than 1 year, and hard drives cost about $50, not $800+.

Big difference.
02-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
But you have to buy a new hard drive and it cost you money. With the lens it's free. You send it for repair within 1 year. After a year you pay a small fee to have it fixed just as you would pay for a hard new drive.
02-07-2010, 05:44 PM   #19

Fixing your lens if warranty expired will not cost $800..... Most SDM issues were fixed for less then $200.

Last edited by Alex00; 02-07-2010 at 05:50 PM.
02-07-2010, 05:46 PM   #20
Veteran Member

But you have to buy a new hard drive and it cost you money. With the lens it's free. You send it for repair within 1 year. After a year you pay a small fee to have it fixed just as you would pay for a hard new drive.
No, you send in the hard drive if it's under warranty, and it's replaced for free. If it's out of warranty, you get a new one for $50.

If the lens is out of warranty, the repair costs are not "a small fee". They're more like $200+. That's not a small fee in anyone's world.

Are you just trying to boost your post count and/or live in a dream world and/or get a job a Pentax in marketing?
02-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #21

Same with the lens you send it out for free repair if it's within warranty. Of course it will cost less to replace a hard drive since the lens is more expensive. My point is anything is bound to fail. If it failed within a year, I'll have it fixed for free, if not I'll just pay a fee to fix it and move on. at least i know i have used it for 1 year without issues.
02-07-2010, 05:56 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
If the Pentax standard warranty was at least 3 years, I would not care at all about the problems I hear with SDM.
I agree. As it happens, I have the DA*300 but I'm not interested in any other SDM at the moment but I'd hold off if I were.
02-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Same with the lens you send it out for free repair if it's within warranty
Well... "duh". Obviously. The point you're not getting is that Pentax's 1 year warranty is far too short for such expensive items, especially considering how long other companies warranty their similar products.

My point is anything is bound to fail. If it failed within a year, I'll have it fixed for free, if not I'll just pay a fee to fix it and move on. at least i know i have used it for 1 year without issues.
What in the hell does that mean? Spend $800 for a new lens, use it for a year, on day 366 it breaks an you go "oh well at least I had fun with it" and throw it in the trash? No photographer would think like that, you're living in fantasy land. Anyone would be absolutely pissed off that their lens has failed and they now have to pay a $200+ repair fee out of pocket, when if they went with just about any other brand, the lens would still be covered under warranty. Especially when SDM really IS so prone to failure over long periods of time compared to other companies' proprietary focusing mechanisms. It's mindless to suggest someone should be okay with hardware that fails an inordinate percentage of time AND a warranty period that is one of the shortest in the industry.

How much are tickets to fantasy land, by the way? I've been wanting to get a motor boat but can't afford it with real money. Maybe I can conjure up one there.

02-07-2010, 06:06 PM   #24

I already mentioned in previous posts it would be nice to have longer warranty on the lens and perhaps it would boost confidence buying the DA* lenses. Since this is not the case now, If warranty is more important to you, go for a different lens. For quality i would stick to this lens and take my chances. If it failed after a year, not necessary on day 366, just fix it and move on.

I purchased an Sony LCD from circuitcity, the first time i turned it on it had this blue horizontal line in the middle. It was a lemon, keeps you wondering how comes it was never tested before it shipped. Things always happens.
02-07-2010, 06:10 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I already mentioned in previous posts it would be nice to have longer warranty on the lens and perhaps it would boost confidence buying the DA* lenses. Since this is not the case now, If warranty is more important to you, go for a different lens. For quality i would stick to this lens and take my chances. If it failed after a year, not necessary on day 366, just fix it and move on.

I purchased an Sony LCD from circuitcity, the first time i turned it on it had this blue horizontal line in the middle. It was a lemon, keeps you wondering how comes it was never tested before it shipped. Things always happens.
You keep saying "just fix it and move on" and that's the most insane thing I've seen in a while. Yeah, that wouldn't affect anyone's buying decisions, right? Paying $200 out of pocket because of a manufacturer failure that will likely happen to your lens in its lifetime and outside of the warranty period?

Are you even aware of what the title of this thread is?
02-07-2010, 06:34 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My 50-135 is showing symptoms again, just out of Canadian two year warranty. I'm going to try to negotiate with Pentax Canada, because I have a supposed fix before the warranty ran out, and "clean and adjust contacts" did not fix the problem for more than a few weeks. I tried to use the lens Saturday, and spent a good two minutes before it would fire up the AF doing the usual things: dismount and remount lens, turn focus ring back and forth, MF/AF lens switch back and forth, repeat.

I am not prepared to pay to have it fixed, so if it doesn't get fixed by Pentax as a warranty item, I will have a superb quality MF lens. I am more interested in the optics, although it would be nice to have an AF lens that did, in fact, AF. MF is not exactly unknown to me.
02-07-2010, 06:38 PM   #27
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to say Yes. I had a DA*300. It failed on me a few times, but not enough to get it fixed. However, would I buy a used SDM lens knowing I may have to dish out an exytra $250 to get it fix... perhaps not.
02-07-2010, 06:45 PM   #28
Veteran Member

For all of the naysayers in this and other threads about SDM, they really need to try one of the "Simply Doesn't Move [SDM]" lenses for themselves. It really is an amazing feeling, to mount this beautiful piece of equipment, just like you mount all of your other lenses, and then press the shutter button, and nothing happens. And you press it again, and nothing happens. And then for some reason, after doing the MF/AF switch, turning the focus ring, etc., it starts up after a few minutes of this and that.

And this is while it is still "working". Many of them just fail outright. This has gone way beyond the small minority and vocal minority defense that many have put forth. It is all over this and other forums, this same experience. How often are these posts made about the DA limited pancakes, or 16-45, or the Tamron zooms, or the Sigma zooms, etc. Not that there aren't any other issues out there, but this problem of a lens just sitting there and not responding to the shutter button, appears to be limited to the SDM DA* lenses. I simply love my 50-135, but I refuse to pay $300 (I believe this is closer to the actual cost) to get this fixed out of warranty. As long as it still works at all, I'll try to hold out until Pentax hopefully steps up and does the right thing.
02-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by regor Quote
I have to say Yes. I had a DA*300. It failed on me a few times, but not enough to get it fixed. However, would I buy a used SDM lens knowing I may have to dish out an exytra $250 to get it fix... perhaps not.
Allot of posts online talk about Pentax fixing he SDM issue although no word from Pentax on this. When i called Pentax to verify this they assured me no SDM issue with the lens. You mentioned buying used lens. I wouldn't buy used even if it's a good deal
02-07-2010, 06:54 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Allot of posts online talk about Pentax fixing he SDM issue although no word from Pentax on this. When i called Pentax to verify this they assured me no SDM issue with the lens. You mentioned buying used lens. I wouldn't buy used even if it's a good deal
Alex, that is the problem--Pentax keeps saying there is no SDM issue. It is very clear by now, no BS, that this is a real issue. All Pentax needs to do is extend the warranty for all owners. If this is as minor an issue as they say, then it shouldn't be a big hit to them. And if this is as pervasive a problem as it seems to be by now, then they should stand behind their defective product and fix them at no charge out of warranty. These DA * lenses are their premium, premier lenses.

Look, you got yourself a heck of a lens. The DA* 50-135 is unbelievable when it works. But you very well may be back here posting in 3 months, or 6, or 15, that your damn 50-135 won't work until it gets woken up. And if it is out of warranty, we'll see at that time how happy you are about shelling out another $300 to get it fixed. Seriously, I hope this doesn't happen to you, but it very well might. And I would not be suggesting this as a remote possibility with any other quality lens that I know of.